Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Grease / Oiling points - 1930 Big 4

Forums

On my 1930 Big 4 there are ‘normal’ grease nipples on the Druid forks but on the front and rear wheel spindles they are different. They have a hinged cap that when flicked open with a finger nail give access to the spindle.  My maintence manual just states I should lubricate the hub every 500 miles.  Can anyone advise what grease / oil I should put into these nipples or 'oiling points' and in what quantity?  Many thanks.

.. grease hubs using those as it's too easy for the lubricant to find its way into the brakes. If you use HMP graese on the bearings when apart you shouldn't need anything more. Or even use rubber sealed bearings if available.

People do tend to put too much grease in ball / roller bearings anyway - they don't need a lot.

To corroborate Ian, using the hub greasers at the recommended intervals will give you fully greased brake linings within a couple of thousand miles...They must have either thought that people wouldn't do it, or they relied on sales of new linings !

Do you have Flip-Flap lubricators ?

Oiler

Thanks chaps, I haven't greased hubs on my other bikes with 'normal' grease nipples for the reason you mentioned - lubricant on brake linings is no good thing.  Richard, I have Flip Flap lubricators by the looks of the picture you sent.

In reply to by ian_soady

People always put too much grease in ball bearings, quite true. If you pop the seals out of a modern quality bearing you will see how little there is.

Thinking logically, if as each ball rolls it has to push a big pile of grease out of the way, the energy required to move this generates heat. 

Too much grease equalls hot running bearing.

In some of the fast rotating spindle systems I work with you can hear the difference in tone as you add grease to a spindle.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans