Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Correct Lucas Horn for 650SS

Forums

The horn on my 1963 650SS is a 6v Lucas 8H model. It was on the bike when I got it in 1971 and has an 04/62 date stamp on it so it could be an original part. I cannot get it to work. It was making a faint squeak so I dismantled it and cleaned the points. It is now making no noise at all. I have upgraded the bike to 12v but as it was making some noise before I dismantled it I don't think I have burnt out the coil. Getting it repaired may be an option but I am also looking at a replacement. Several dealers stock repro 8H horns but many say these were fitted to Triumph/BSA bikes with the correct unit for a Norton being a Lucas Altette. These are a bigger horn than the 8H with hole centres on the brackets being 100 and 27mm compared to 55 and 15mm on my 8H bracket. If I were to go down the Altette route I would have to drill new holes in my head steady bracket to mount the horn. My original Norton Twin Cylinder manual from the 1960s states that the correct horn should be a HF 1441 model but this also seems to have wider spaced mounting holes and replacements have screw rather than spade electrical connectors.        I know that any 12v horn will probably work but does anyone know what the correct horn fitment for my bike should be. I am somewhat reluctant to drill new holes in my frame and modify my wiring harness. I have attached pictures of my existing horn.

I think the horn you have is the correct one. My very original February 1962 650ss I bought from the first owner is fitted with one, also date stamped.

Hi Allan,

I've found that old horns, similar to yours, can be brought back to life.

12 volts across the horn terminals and belt it with a piece of wood, or hammer handle. It seems to clear the throat of the beast.

Some seem to work better one polarity than the other. Don't know why.

Peter

So you should be able to recover it.  Alternatively buy the “new” one and build the parts into your shell.

Jon

In reply to by ian_richtsteig

Thanks Ian

According to the Lucas lists my bike should have a 6H Horn rather than an 8H that I have. Very difficult to find out what the difference between these two is. Some forums say that the 6H is 6V and the 8H 12v but my horn definitely says 8H 6v. There may also be a size difference between the two. Pictures of 6H and 8H horns on the web look identical though. As they are all replicas it might be that the descriptions are inaccurate.

I will give the horn a "tap" with a hammer as  suggested by Peter and if that doesn't work will take a trip to Feked who have an 8H in stock so that I can compare for size.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans