Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

correct air slide 389?

Forums

is this the correct air slide[choke]

seems to be smaller than I remember....it's brass

Attachments p1010008-9-jpg

Looks OK to me. As long as it retracts fully so it doesn't protrude on WOT and is able to go down fully it should be OK.

I think you're right - I hadn't realised the magnification was so much! Of course the slide should fit quite nicely into the hole in the throttle slide that we can see.

Well spotted Rod.

a better photo, there is a guide and the brass slide is shown in the down position, but if memory serves me right, it is smaller than on previous bikes[mind you are going back 50 years!]

the slide goes down and does restrict the air a bit, but there is nothing to support it......it just hangs loose

Attachments p1010017-3-jpg

The slide usually locates in that cutout in the throttle slide and is a sort of top hat section so I think what you're showing is incorrect.

You can see it on the link Rod posted.

What you have does look similar to the one I had on the 1931 Sunbeam I restored recently but TBH I can't remember exactly what that was like (Amal Type 74 carb).

Oops! My apols, John. Rod is quite right. I've just been down and shone a torch up the carb orifice and the air slide completely covers the width of the opening, stopping short at the bottom to allow some air through. Like Ian, I was misled by the scale. George

Many thanks again, I wonder how many other 'problems' I'll find before I get it on the road........ I bought it in good faith from a chap who said he had it running beautifully but because of ill health couldn't ride anymore!

still it will keep me out of mischief this winter.

And a very strange tank fitting!

Attachments p1010011-5-jpg

Funny, that's what the vendor of my ES2 said....... I have yet to seriously delve inside but am not encouraged by what seem to be metric Allen screws holding the rocker cover on.....

The tank fitting will provide a source for making new nuts.

It should run ok without the choke slide but you should remove the brass guide and cable and seal the carb top with a small nut and bolt.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans