Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Battery for 63 650 SS converted to 12v

Forums

My 63 650  was orriginally a 6v bike but has been converted to 12v by the previous owner ,it has a frame and clamping angle to fix the battery . What is the battery to fit the space  ? A decent size , preferably old fashioned lead acid, with Terminal bolts that can be accessed from the nearside. . Yuasa have served me very well in the past .  

Hello again Bob - My 1967 650SS had a Lucas MK9E and it just fitted inside the battery Box with the 12V clamp arrangement.   I did have a 1964 Atlas for a while but that had two 6V Exide batteries ( factory fitted ) connected in series and a clamp extended in depth to hold the pair. If I remember correctly they overlapped the tray insert at the base of the box but the cover did fit.  The cover screws came very close to the cells but pieces of felt kept them apart.  I cannot remember the part number of the Exide cells but it will be in one of the early Atlas specifications.  Cheers, Howard

Hi Alan.Over the last 60 years   I have had very  many lead acid flooded batteries , All have lasted well. Most for many times the expected life.Up to 20 years. Gel batteries used under ideal conditions will probably be just as good. My experience of them is that they dont survive missuse well,and will dry out if overcharged and are then difficult to recover  as they are well sealed. Our old bikes often have poorly controlled charging and the lead acid battery is more forgiving I find. I have never needed or wanted  an electric start bike , But there will come a time and then i will have to adopt a different attitude.

Very good observations Robert. But what do we mean by 'gel batteries'Howard-1964 was a long time ago, Do not try to 'emulate' the 2X6V. A 12V 9/11AHR will go in the Dommi box.

Our old bikes often have poorly controlled charging. Yes-Take note-the original 6V and switching of the alternator output does leave 'things to be desired'. If you use a flooded 6V (say 9/11Ahr) then the battery will do some regulating, ie it will gas if it gets a bit 'fraught' with the charge. Gel batteries ie very square, sealed and with tag (Luca) terminals, made for the Alarm world, these all over charge very easily and dry out-FAIL. AGM-different technology made for Automotive use. 

12V-once you have gone 12V then the charging should be under better control. WE used to have a Zener diode (still very good after 50/60yrs but keep an eye on the voltage) Now we have Regulator/rectifiers) BUT we must still keep in mind the Amp Hour Rating. The longer you ride, the longer the battery is on charge. The larger the AHR needs to be to cope with it. Always fit the largest you can get in the battery box, the Dommi battery box can take 9/11AHR.

After years of fitting several different size batteries to my  99DL ( wonderfull bike !) with absolutely no issues on security or access to the connections and  just wedging the Atlas battery in with  bits of rubber ,for some reason I thought the SS would be no problem. HA ! . The clamp will not accept anything wider than 125mm  and the clamp will foul or obstruct the terminals . Is this a legasey of it being a 6 volt bike or am I missing something.? Back to lumps of wood and pipe lagging?.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans