Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Amal 76/011 carb for early 1938 16H

Forums

Hello to everyone,

Can anyone please help me in the search for an Amal 76/011 carb and 64/069 float chamber. I have already placed a wanted advert in the classified section, hopefully I will have more luck here. As already stated in the advert, I have the internals and fittings for both carb body and float so a bare carb body and float chamber would be perfect. I have attached a picture of the carb, it is very similar to the later 276 version, however the 76 carb is unique in having external emulsion air drillings around the base of the body just above the mixing chamber union nut. Any help would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,Karl.

Attachments amal-76.jpg

Keep an eye on ebay,prewar clamp fitting carbs come up quite often,but youll pay a price.The days of early carbs for five quid is gone.If you thing this is expensive check out what people have to pay for Indian and Harley carbs on US fleabay,$500 plus is not uncommon. Regards John.

Is it for a civilian model 16H or a pre-war WD model ? Contrary to the documentation published after the war, the WD contracts were fitted with 276s from 1937-on

Thanks for all the replies,my 16h is a pre-war civilian model and definately not an Ex War Department machine fitted with the slightly later 276AE/1BE set up. I had thought of drilling out a 276 body, however I'm not sure if it is as simple as that.

Best Regards,Karl.

Just an idea on the 276 Karl. I thought my 1939 WD should have a 76 and actually found a body before I started going through Amal build cards at the VMCC. (Body since sold, I'm afraid)

The original WD bikes were fitted with the 276/011 and it was a carb unique to Nortons as Amal soon introduced the 276/R which was taken up by the other manufacturers.

As I understand it, you do have the Type 76 jet block. If you seal the pilot airway in the 276 body then you may be able to use a later body with appropriate drillings - It would be difficult to use a 276R as they are machined away on the inlet side.

I'd suspect that Martyn Bratby would be a good person to speak with about this this of modification.

Previously wrote:

Thanks for all the replies,my 16h is a pre-war civilian model and definately not an Ex War Department machine fitted with the slightly later 276AE/1BE set up. I had thought of drilling out a 276 body, however I'm not sure if it is as simple as that.

Best Regards,Karl.

Karl- There is a 76 AG/1au carb body on US e-bay - This is a flange mount but I don't know if there is enough material at the throat to remove the ears and turn/bore on a lathe to make it a stub mount-perhaps some else could answer this. It is item # 110781403320-no bids so far and starting at $ 49.00 US- Also remote float chamber-same seller- item # 110782833524- again no bids and starting at $19.99 US. Seems reasonable enough- hope this may be of some help- Richard

Regrettably,a flange mount cannot be made into a clip mount,and preserve any resemblance to the correct carb.If you want the correct carb,you will definitely need the prewar body,it has the drillings as mentioned,and the intake thread is close up against the cylindrical body.There is a postwar 76, and 76AG/1AU is from a pre 53 Matchless G9,which has a different appearance,with the internal air vent left blank,but obvious.Prewar Nortons are worth considerable sums,so most restorers take pains to fit period correct parts. Regards John.

Thanks for all your comments and advice, fortunatelyI have just taken delivery of a boxed,brand new old stock, 76/011 body, £35 including delivery. I had a bit of a shock on opening the box, it appeared as if the body had been dipped in red oxide (gulp,what have I purchased), it turns out that the coating is preservative wax, underneath lay a beautifully preserved carb body. Picture link attached below.

http://s1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/fsx3/Amal%2076%20011/

Best Regards,

Karl.

That's nice to see Karl. I had an NOS body a few years back that I sold to a fellow club member for about that amount when I found that it wasn't right for my '39 WD model. I'm glad that I didn't rip myself off !

That preservative is odd, certainly not the usual Cosmolene wax. Is the body painted / lacquered underneath ? The usual trick for removing Cosmolene is hot water or a hairdryer.

Would there be any chance of seeing a photo of the full label ? It looks like military packaging but wartime WD used the reference 'NC' for Norton, not 'NN'. If it's pre-war WD then I'd like to learn more about it.

Rich

Previously wrote:

Thanks for all your comments and advice, fortunatelyI have just taken delivery of a boxed,brand new old stock, 76/011 body, £35 including delivery. I had a bit of a shock on opening the box, it appeared as if the body had been dipped in red oxide (gulp,what have I purchased), it turns out that the coating is preservative wax, underneath lay a beautifully preserved carb body. Picture link attached below.

Best Regards,

Karl.

Hello Richard,

The carb body has no lacquer or paint just the raw alloy/mazak material. I originally soaked the carb in petrol, left it for 24 hours and when I took it out of the container only a small amount had been dissolved. It was only by pure accident that I realised heat was the answer and as you mention, it then went into a bucket of hot water. I have attached a few more images to the photobucket link. It looks like the carb was one of two bodies that would of been contained within the box. Also a faint ink stamp on the packaging tape (which I have photographed) and another very faint ink stamp that I cannot capture on my camera, all I can make out is a lot of smudged ink and a possible date 1936?, but like I said its so, so faint.

Best Regards,Karl.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans