Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

99 Dommie 1959 - Removal of Rear Engine plate cover

Forums

The rear engine plate cover (top only but all over) has suffered petrol damage to paint work from petrol which dripped out of carb and I didn't notice. My nice glossy finish has been ruined sadly. Can it be removed and replaced with all parts round it still in situ as can't see how it is secured in place apart from what appear to be very small screw holes in side of plate cover? I would prefer to spray it for smoothness of finish. If its too difficult to remove and more importantly replace then will have to resort to my fine artist brush. Its so frustrating because everything else paintwork wise is so well preserved and resulted from my negligence. Thanks everyone and looking forward to the long sunny days of fine weather (living in Wales an opportunist as you can judge).  Stay safe all. Hugh  

Mine is just sprung over, a tight press fit over the plates. It simply prises up and off.  I assume that's original but I'm sure someone will say yay or nay.  Maybe yours has small screws to remove first?

Give it a gentle prise up and see what happens.

Thanks Terry. Just had a closer look and as you say seems to prise up and then hopefully pull off. Am a little wary in taking it off just yet as the distributor wire and cabling quite close as you know. I am usual good at getting things apart its putting them back that causes me problems! Cheers Hugh

Some more evidence; Mr Soady..........

Use ethanol free (E0) petrol before you have the cover plate refinished. You will get drips from the tickler anyway.

Esso Synergy Supreme+ (99RON) outside of the ethanol zones. Check for the red label.

My 99 is at the back of the garage at the moment, so I can't check, but I believe it will just pull off, like the front plate.

Some fit stainless steel covers from the usual suppliers.  Fine for a modified bike but perhaps not if you are a stickler for originality. I wonder if they can be justified if USA export bikes had shiny chromed covers?

Halfords sell or used to sell an allegedly fuel proof rattle can lacquer. The reviews I read even when E5 was all there was were almost all negative.  The only positives seemed to be from users who left it at least 6 to 8 weeks before fuel exposure. Does anyone have better information?  I mean to experiment by testing it on an old biscuit tin.

Job done and repainted. What I thought were small screw holes were little 'bumps' into side of plate to fit relevant holes in engine plates themselves and hence hold in place. Thanks all for comments I know a very small job but am learning things as go along as have far less expertise than those on this site. Cheers Hugh

The same thing happened to mine with a little too much exuberance when tickling the carb - stripped it right back to the primer.

I now have now (4 years ago) over-coated it with 2k lacquer and it seems to be as tough as old boots.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans