Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

961 review

MCN news has a cafe racer feature this week with the 961 under review against the new BMW R nine T, Triumph thruxton and Enfield continental GT. The 961 gets a reasonable review, however the general consensus is that it is sÅow to turn with too much vibration and obviously the price tag remains an issue. We all know which one we'd have but I was wondering if a tyre change or steering dampner modification from the factory may liven things up at the front.

I too have read the review - It's the first time I've read of a 961 being accused of being slow to turn.

I've lessened the preload on my forks (4 rings showing rather than the standard 3) in an effort to soften the front a little. I'd also expect this to speed up the steering very slightly. I'd also expect different tyres to change things.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this one? I can't say that I find the steering slow myself. laugh

Previously lee_blackburn wrote:

I too have read the review - It's the first time I've read of a 961 being accused of being slow to turn.

I've lessened the preload on my forks (4 rings showing rather than the standard 3) in an effort to soften the front a little. I'd also expect this to speed up the steering very slightly. I'd also expect different tyres to change things.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this one? I can't say that I find the steering slow myself. laugh

Only when the tyre pressures are too low otherwise it's fine.

Previously david_charlesworth wrote:

Previously lee_blackburn wrote:

Only when the tyre pressures are too low otherwise it's fine.

I e mailed the MCN tester and mentioned the issue with tyre pressures but he replied and said they test the bikes as given to them without checkin anything! I suspect the tyre pressures were way out as by no means would I describe as slow turning.

It doesn't say where the bikes were sourced from, I can't see the year of registration but the others are 2014 so I would expect it to be this years. They also note that the speedometer oscillates during hard acceleration overall putting it behind the thruxton 3rd in the review. The front tyre doesn't look underinflated in the pics. I quote

"the little trophy like plaques stuck under the clocks, right in your eye line are on the skew and if you accelerate hard the speedo needle dances up and down the clocks like a windscreen wiper. It doesn't handle or steer very well, the engine vibes send your hands and feet to sleep at over 80mph" (sorry officer I couldn't brake because my hands and feet went to sleep :p) i'll go on "there's missed gears aplenty, a hard seat, the stiff suspension crashes over bumps and the riding position, especially with no mirrors is torture on the motorway"

Previously william_pryde wrote:

It doesn't say where the bikes were sourced from, I can't see the year of registration but the others are 2014 so I would expect it to be this years. They also note that the speedometer oscillates during hard acceleration overall putting it behind the thruxton 3rd in the review. The front tyre doesn't look underinflated in the pics. I quote

"the little trophy like plaques stuck under the clocks, right in your eye line are on the skew and if you accelerate hard the speedo needle dances up and down the clocks like a windscreen wiper. It doesn't handle or steer very well, the engine vibes send your hands and feet to sleep at over 80mph" (sorry officer I couldn't brake because my hands and feet went to sleep :p) i'll go on "there's missed gears aplenty, a hard seat, the stiff suspension crashes over bumps and the riding position, especially with no mirrors is torture on the motorway"

It doesn't sound like the Cafe Racer in my garage, the only things I would agree with are that the seat is hard and it isn't a bike for long motorway journeys. If I had wanted to travel long distances at high speed on motorways in armchair comfort I would have bought something else - horses for courses.

The tyre may not look underinflated but the loss of a couple of psi makes a big difference if running the factory 34/38 psi

Previously david_charlesworth wrote:

It doesn't sound like the Cafe Racer in my garage, the only things I would agree with are that the seat is hard and it isn't a bike for long motorway journeys. If I had wanted to travel long distances at high speed on motorways in armchair comfort I would have bought something else - horses for courses.

The tyre may not look underinflated but the loss of a couple of psi makes a big difference if running the factory 34/38 psi

Hello I hope you all realize what MCN really stands for More Crap than News, I stopped buying the rag when it stopped representing all aspects of motorcycle sport, activities years ago. I was always told never take anyones word, try it yourself , test as many as you can and evaluate the results and then spend your cash,not what some bloke tells you what you should be riding, all bikes and people are different and dont all suit one another.

Happy miles all you 961 owners

Paul.

The bike was lent by Norton but I understand they messed Norton around and arrived to collect the bike 3 days earlier than planned! Perhaps it was underprepared.

David

Previously david_clarke1 wrote:

The bike was lent by Norton but I understand they messed Norton around and arrived to collect the bike 3 days earlier than planned! Perhaps it was underprepared.

David

I found that my 961 was slow to change direction on the original Dunlops on the road. However on track(Silverstone MOTO GP) it seemed a lot better even with the tyre pressure dropped for track use. I suppose that on track you are more commited than on the road but it didn't get outpaced (in the intermeadiate group anyway). I recently changed to Pirelli Rosso Corsa's which have improved and speeded up the steering in my opinion. I had a Thruxton Bonny a few years ago and it was slow compared to the 961, it was OK up to 100mph and would struggle to go over 110mph on the speedo. 961 will go over 120 mph no problem and acceleration is much better.

I have a BMW R nine T on order but have to wait over a year for it. I had a test ride in March on the BMW and was very impressed with the performance and handling but it didn't feel that much quicker than the 961. Anyway in my opinion the 961 looks better than any of the others tested. As someone else said I don't take much notice of the MCN tests

John Mc

MCN news has a cafe racer feature this week with the 961 under review against the new BMW R nine T, Triumph thruxton and Enfield continental GT. The 961 gets a reasonable review, however the general consensus is that it is sÅow to turn with too much vibration and obviously the price tag remains an issue. We all know which one we'd have but I was wondering if a tyre change or steering dampner modification from the factory may liven things up at the front.

Hi Wiliam

I have an early 961 Sport and had Harris Performance in Hertford re-valve the front as I like a comfortable ride and am only 11 stone, the first attempt was insufficient, second time lighter rear springs were fitted and the front re valved again, perfect! I also fitted Bridgestones which transformed the turn in and straight line stability, no more 'whitelining'

Another mod was to shorten the prop stand, by cutting and welding. I had the seat remade as well.Nearly 10k miles now, and after early dramas during which time Norton were great in their attitude and service and we seem to have settled done to what is a wonderful bike to ride/look at and own. Good programme on ITV 4 re' the factory. I hope they continue to devlop and grow. Having been in the bike trade for nearly 40 years I cannot begin to imagine the grief Stuart Garner has had to endure to get this far. He deserves to succeed!

Regards

Nigel

Previously charles_scouller wrote:

Just as a matter of interest, how do you get to test ride a 961?

Just contact Sean Kynnersley at the factory and jack up a time/date.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans