Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

850 MK2A rear drum gap

Forums

Hi All,

i am re building a 850 MK2 commando and the gap between the brake drum and shoe plate seem excessive. 

this bike has been a nightmare as many parts don't look right. in the drum the baring was single row not double so the brake shoe sides were scraping on the drum

I renewed this with the correct double row baring and now the gap between the drum and the shoe plate edge seem larger than it needs to be also when I try to fit the spacer between the speedo drive and swinging arm the gap seem to be about 5 to 6 mm to small. it seems like the drum needs to go to the left by about 5mm 

any advice would be much appreciated

Attachments

hello,

i am not an expert. but it seems that the only thing that would make that gap if everything else is correct. is the brake plate packing washers. may not be the case, but thats the only thing i can see that would cause it. looking at the AN drawing of parts. no 21.

barry

..to yours Michael.  It looks excessive but seems to function correctly.  If you are in the Essex area you are welcome to come over and have a look.

regards to all

Richardp

There's a little groove in the outside edge of the drum which the folded over edge of the brake plate should just enter into (keeps the muck out). Drum will flop around a bit until you bolt it all up, and will be more open at the top when loose. Best put the wheel in, bolt it up then post another pic.

Where did that drum come from?

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans