Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

850 E/S Commando

Forums

hi all

Do any members know the cranking speed of the original set-up used on the mk111

I've removed my original set-up after the sprag went over centre and locked up ( had to resort to an american screw-driver and a chisel to free the crankshaft)

I'm now in the process of making a paddock starter, as jumping about on the kick-start twenty or thirty times knocks the life out of me

steve

Hi Steve,

Not quite sure what you mean by cranking speed. My starter turns the engine quite slowly but normaly it only needs to go over compression once and it bursts into life. The same with the kickstart, one gentle prod with the ignition off then ignition on an a firm kick and it will start.

I have Pazon ignition and a single MkII Amal. What is your setup?

Regards

Tony

Hi Steve,

As Tony rightly points out, your Commando shouldnât take that much starting. I too have an electric start model, as well as a kick start only model, both are running Boyer ignition & SU carbs, & both will start easily with one or two kicks & I have a quite badly injured back, so am not as good at that sort of thing as I once was. The E/S will crank over two or three compressions & start readily also. If you are having to kick 20 or 30 times, there must be something wrong. If your sprag has gone over centre, thereâs a good chance the crankshaft sprocket & starter gear have worn where the sprag runs on them, so these should be carefully inspected & if in any doubt, replaced along with the sprag or the same will happen again.

Regards, Tim

I'm afraid the sprag, sprocket and starter gear are wear items and will eventually have to be replaced together. With one of the new starter motors, heavy leads and 300 cranking amp battery, I have no trouble in starting after a couple of bursts - even in the depths of winter. Using Wassell electronic ignition but I had to change its black box recently after 10k miles - I do carry a spare. The Trispark I had failed after 2k miles a couple of years ago - they replaced it directly from Australia at the time, but you tend not to carry a spare at £210 each.

Hi all

I'm using a single VM36 mikuni with pazon electronic ignition.

It works fine if ridden on a regular basis,but work and the travelling to where it's garaged prohibit me from using it on a daily/weekly basis.

I find there's nothing more frustrating than using public transport.dressed the part in leathers/boots and combats only to be knocked back by a non-runner

The paddock starter I'm making consists of a 3hp motor driving two boat rollers via two chains.The two sprockets from the motor to the rollers are inter-changeable giving the back wheel two speeds 79 revs or 252 revs going through a freewheel so when the engine does catch I won't over rev the motor. using the 79 revs I'll get 174 revs at the gearbox sprocket .I'm not too sure whether it will be fast enough to spin the crankshaft after it's been through second gear/ box/clutch/engine sprockets all of which are standard.because I'm going through the gearbox arse about face do I multiply or divide the 174 revs by the 2nd gear ratio1.70:1

steve

Steve, you still shouldnât have that much trouble starting the bike, even after it standing idle for a while. Iâm suspecting it may be wet sumping, making it difficult to kick over & that the fuel in the float bowl is losing itâs volatility. If Iâm going to be leaving a bike to stand for a while, I try to leave the tank as full as poss & empty the float bowl either by using any drain screw, which the Mikuni has, or running out of fuel with the taps off. This way, when you come to start it again, you should get good fuel in the carb to start with. Itâs also worth draining the sump & putting the oil back in the tank, this makes it a lot easier to kick over & precludes the risk of blowing out the crank seal.

RE your question as to roller speeds, itâs not that critical to achieve a specific speed, but using the two examples you give, if Iâm reading correctly you are either able to turn the WHEEL at 79 rpm or 252rpm. Assuming a 19 inch rear wheel, you should have roughly 81â circumference so 79 rpm equates to approx 6mph & 252rpm would equate to around 19mph. If you were push starting, 6mph would be a realistically achievable pushing speed & youâd probably use second or third gear, so thatâs the option Iâd try first. If you went for the other option, you may find it too much load for the motor & you would probably have to use top gear to prevent the engine spinning too quickly, however, it would probably still work ok like this. At the end of the day, you have two roller speed options & four gearbox options, giving you eight possibilities, with a bit of experimentation, you should be able to find something that works.

Regards, Tim

Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply

Never though of draining the carb after putting the bike away, and as we know the ( new) petrol drops it's octane after a while,Hopefully You've now sussed out my major problem.thank you

With regard to the paddock starter ,It's still on the go,Should be finished this weekend, I'll give it a try on my gsx1100 first(she hasn't been on the road for six years) and as for gaining 6mph pushing a motorbike ,Sadly a dim and distant memory

thanks you

steve

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans