Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

750 Commando gear shift

Just purchased a 1971 Norton Commando and just starting to learn about the bike. I watched this video and the chap on the bike to select 1st gear pushes down, on my bike and according to the manual my first gear is up then 3 down. Is this just a different positioning of the gear shift lever?

Previously paul_gilbert wrote:

Just purchased a 1971 Norton Commando and just starting to learn about the bike. I watched this video and the chap on the bike to select 1st gear pushes down, on my bike and according to the manual my first gear is up then 3 down. Is this just a different positioning of the gear shift lever?

Hi Paul,

Norton in video has gear lever reversed (ie points backwards) so pressing down in this position rotates shaft anti-clockwise, same as lifting up on your forward facing lever - simples!

Best regards,

Chas

Previously chas_goupillot wrote:

Hi Paul,

Norton in video has gear lever reversed (ie points backwards) so pressing down in this position rotates shaft anti-clockwise, same as lifting up on your forward facing lever - simples!

Best regards,

Chas

Chas

Does this mean I can do this to mine? Reverse the gear lever

thanks

It depends on the position of your foot rests. In the video it looks as if he has moved them back, and moved the gear lever so he can reach it.

Thanks for the help and I found this

I would try the bike as-is. You may find the standard riding position more to your liking than rear-sets.

Why spend time, effort and money before trying the standard set-up?

Best regards,

Chas

Hi Paul,

I agree with Chas above, unless it is the 1 up 3 down gear pattern that is worrying you. If so, the reversed selector plate for the gearbox which will give you a 1 down 3 up pattern with the standard lever positioning may be worthwhile - I have this on my dommie as all my other bikes are down for down, up for up.

Rearset footrests (which would be needed for a reversed lever) will only ever be truly comfortable with low 'ace' or clip on handlebars, but if you are comfortable with those, then reverse the lever.

George.

The standard Commando footrests are well forward of the front of the seat, even with a short Roadster style tank. Look at any modern bike, apart from cruisers, and the footpegs tend to be level with the front of the seat. Rearsets suit my riding position with normal bars and allow me to quickly put some weight on the pegs and take some strain off my lower back and gut muscle. I wouldn't go back to standard footrests but that's my opinion, each to their own.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans