Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650ss mudguard issue

Forums

Hi everyone :) finally tracked down a New mudguard for my norton 650ss 1966

having a slight issue with fitting bought this stay

one thing Ive noticed is there seems to be clearance between the mudguard and the stay on the inside? anyone had this also when you just put the mudguard on with the stay bolted to it seems to want a washer between the stay and the forks?

http://www.rgmnorton.co.uk/buy/dommie-mudguard-bridge_4092.htm

can canter the mudguard back or forward a bit on the stay.

Main issue Ive had if I tighten it right up is the bolts on the top of the stay to mudguard are just catching ever so lightly on the tyre's took some pictures when I went to the museum and noticed they have the top of the bolt on the visible part of the mudguard If i do this on mine catches the tyres really bad

any info on stays or correct bolts/ combination of spacers would be massively appreciated added some pictures :)

Attachments untitled-1-jpg

Could it be that your K70 tyre is exacerbating the problem? I have a 3.00x19 Avon Speedmaster on my 99 and no clearance problems. It would be interesting to check the RGM mudguard bridge with my original one - are they really identical?

My mudguard (non-standard stainless) is attached to the bridge piece with the bolt heads down and with domed nuts uppermost.

Don't forget yourmudguard stays onceyou have the bridge piece sorted out!

There are two widths of guards ,one for earlier (narrow ) forks up to 1963 ish and wider for later forks. If you have the right guard there will be minimal clearance to the forks, and yours looks that way. Most likely you have an incorrect bridge. Also between the tubular stays and the guard there should be thick domed washers . The bridge must not pull the fork legs together or push them apart or you will wear them out. A correct bridge will be shaped to fit snugly to the curved guard and the bridge legs will be a bit longer than the one you have.

Looking side on that looks a very big tyre. At 1966 you should have the later guard. The earlier and later seem to have been the same pressing except the earlier guard had its sides pressed in further by 1/4" each side. If your bridge is for earlier forks then it may be splayed out and have gaps between its sides and the guard and might be dragging the guard down a little and pulling the forks in.Good luck!David

sounds like that lads, bridge is splaying out I slackened it all off does anyone know where to get a correct one from ? :)

also what's everyone's preference on tyres

thanks

tom

Tom,

I had the same problem with my 1960 99. The solution was to buy a stainless Commando bridge and drill the top holes to suit the mudguard. Plenty of room now.

I used a 90/90 new style Avon Roadrunner. Excellent.

The correct bridge is not just a U shaped strip but has the sides pressed to wrap round the fork shape. The RGM one shown in your post is not correct for the deep valenced guard. I'm surprised RGM don't know this,as they have been in the business for a long time.

Hi Robert it is slightly depressed in,if you look at the mudguard with the stay fastened on theres a fair old gap between the stay and the mudguard, Guessing its the wrong width stay maybe and height had a look at a few pictures and it seems like my guard is sat to low in relation to the fork lowers, where it joins the stanchion? What do you all reckon :) anyone know where to get one for the deep valance guards, just popped RGM an email always a great help,

Norvil list is confusing. They list the pre1964 bridge which might be what you have.. But then part 030254 looks like what you need. The photo shows nearly parallel side faces. But then there is 024984ss. Which looks 'better' (stainless) but is a bit cheaper. Maybe this is the pre1964 shape you have?David

The correct bridge (not stay!) is a hard part to find , If you have the correct STAYS you could fit the guard and then measure what you need for the bridge. I bought mine S/H off E-bay, think it was from an Electra which is a later wide fork machine with F/Bed forks. You may have similar problems getting the right stays as the ones for the std dommy guard are different . Anyway I can assure you that your bridge is NBG!!. As usual the Norton suppliers don't seem to have a clue. And yes the guard is sitting too low.

Cheers Dave, might have a look at that as its got measurements on the pic, and check it against what I've got,

not got any of the stays Robert as it had a totally wrong mudguard on it,

NBG sounds about right

Had a similar problem with the carb's yesterday every norton supplier supplied bolts that were different length and fowled on the ticklers on the concentric's luckily I had an original set of carb mounting bolts cleaned them up and used them, if anyone wants 3 x sets of slightly wrong length carb bolts I'm your man haha

Sometimes I wish I had a fastback haha 650ss Is a keeper though :) but can see me getting a commando at some point with the availability of parts as I want to use a Norton to go work on my 350lc sucks petrol for fun

Stay positive,once sorted Nortons are reliable, we have an Atlas that gets by with minimal attention and always is a runner. My son uses it sometimes to cross London to go to work. 067628 is the RGM number for the domed washers.

Thanks mate will do :) hoping to have her running again by next weekend and get the mot done ill order the domed washers this week

On my parts list 1963-1968 the part no for the bridge is 024984 for all years.

Norvil and RGM list it, unfortunately only a picture at RGM.

Fritz

Ordered another stay this Time from Norvil part number 030254

looked like 6 inches on the picture next to the ruler the one thats came is 10.7cm wide 14 cm high

anyone got the measurements for an original bridge?

Cheers,

Tom

Previously tom_steele wrote:

Ordered another stay this Time from Norvil part number 030254

I think that's the wrong one. As far as I remember the one from RGM I've mentioned above, locks like mine

Fritz

Previously tom_steele wrote:

Hi fritz what year is your 650ss? Cheers

It's a 1966, but as I've written above, the part no for the bridge is the same for all the years from 1963 to 1968.

Fritz

Tom, Forget trying to buy the right part from a dealer, go to jumbles ,watch the internet, and be prepared for a 6 month quest. but you need to KNOW the dimensions and profile of the correct part . Look at another correct bike and take a tape measure.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans