Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650SS clutch plates

Forums

I am about to order new clutch plates, but I see on the Norvil website that I require 5 friction plates. At present I have cork inserts in the basket, then a half plain/half friction plate, followed by 4 plain and 3 friction plates + another half plain/half friction, then the alloy pressure plate. The friction plates have inside lugs, the plain outside lugs.

Even if I changed the inner half plain/half friction to a plain, I think it would only take 4 friction and 5 plain plates, plus the outer half plain/half friction plate.

Can anyone advise on how it should be?

Thanks. Ian

It appears that you are about to mix old and new parts. In this case, a pre-1958 back-plate with post 58 friction and plain drivers and driven. This is not generally a good idea. Does you chain wheel have cork inserts? If so this will rob you of the room you might need to get all the plates in place.

See attachment which shows later standard pre-SS clutch. There are 10 plates made up of 5 plain, including the chainwheel, 4 friction plus 2 half friction plates. The SS bundle of plates has one extra of each plain and friction. Remember that you also need the thinner SS pressure plate to complete the bundle.

Attachments dominator-clutch-1959-on-bmp

Another diagram to add to your collection. This time a post -1958 clutch basket but with a 88 or 99 (or 77 etc) pressure plate. The SS clutch had one of each plate more. So as you rightly said 10 plates altogether plus the chainwheel and 2 half frictions. Really making 12 plates in action.

The SS stack just about fills the basket and when the clutch lever is pulled the top plate comes very close to jumping out of it.

Attachments clutch-basket-1959-on-bmp

Hi Phil. It is amazing what you find when you delve into a 'restored' bike, isn't it? This one just keeps revealing more secrets....! A mixture of clutch parts, as you say. I will remove the chainwheel and clutch centre; hopefully tomorrow; and see exactly what I have. I guess at an older chainwheel, with cork inserts, and a matching earlier pressure plate, with a mixture of plates, to fit.

How would I tell an SS pressure plate from an earlier one?

Also, should this assembly have the 9.8" pushrod? The current one appears to be 9.75", and in good condition.

Cheers. Ian

Clutch Pushrod Lengths + Part Nos.

Up to 1955 9.75â (247.6mm) - RGM A2/379

1956 â58 9.68â (246.0mm) 040607

Post 1958 & Commando 9.80â (248.9mm) 040084

Start with the longest clutch pushrod as you can always grind a bit off after getting the length correct. Attachment shows difference between standard and SS pressure plate.

Attachments dommie-clutch-2-jpg

The answer seems to be a new plain basket; maybe RGM's deeper one; a bonded friction backplate, an SS pressure plate, and a full complement of new plates.... ouch.

Anyone with an SS/Atlas clutch you don't need?

Cheers. Ian

Check out a Norton SS complete clutch (almost) for sale now (15/10/14) on eBay using title below.

Norton Dominator or BSA plunger clutch

I did actually see that one Phil. In fact it is in my 'watching' list. It has only been on a day or so, and has attracted 17 bids already, and not reached reserve. With over 6 days to go, I think the bidding will be high, as it appears plenty of people want it. I don't really want to waste 6 days on something I may not get in the end, and even if I do, it may then need money spending on it to get up to scratch. I bit the bullet today and ordered new parts from RGM.

Cheers. Ian

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans