Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650 clutch

Forums

My newly aquired 650 clutch has only 4 friction plates and apparently not enough room for 5 , so I suspect that they are dommy plates , I think 650 plates are thinner , has anyone bought the correct plates lately and from where?.

Yes Bob - You're correct - 4mm as against 5mm. So five plain (pockmarked) 5 friction (also pockmarked) and the final plate also pockmarked with only one side having friction material.  I understand that all the main dealers sell them by request.   Cheers, howard

Thanks Howard , I had only intended to build the bike to display however sons insist that they want to ride it , so having to delve deeper , plenty to do , I have never yet bought a bike than didn’t need everything looking at , I must be an incurable optimist!!. 

Been a while since I put my 650 clutch together. No special plates but I noted that the basket was deeper and some material needed to be taken off the end plate.. Compression end cap.

Works well, hence not having to take apart..

As i have plenty of issues to fix i will probably just fettle the 4 plate 88/99 clutch and use for testing and running in till i find a good deal on some 650 friction plates  . Alternatively i may modify the basket and plates to the Kegler design which gives a light   slipper / self servo action and will not slip under 650 power. The best of both worlds, if it works.

Yes Bob - I do remember the Kegler designed servo clutch centre but I cannot say that I remember anyone in UK  making or selling them.  Nowadays machining the spirals on to the casting or bar should be easy.   I do remember talking to MH about it some years ago  but if he did make any I would be surprised as he usually offered his improvements through his spares business.  I wonder if Bob Newby or Tony Hayward ever made any for their clutch and belt drive kits ?   I would be interested in buying one if you're getting a batch made .   My left forearm is like POPEYE's  and it could do with a rest.  One finger operation would be a blessing.  Cheers, Howard

Hi Robert

While the Dominator Service Notes were temporary "stalled" (40 years in the making) a few of us set to work on the Dominator Technical Directory. NOC website > Technical > Heavy Twins. Page 9 onwards you will find part numbers and as many cross references as I could find. Most economical way is to buy a complete assembly (guess who spent hours / years trying to match s/hand parts with new, then bought all new. V expensive!)

Les Emery machined a thinner Pressure Plate, for me. There is a part no so he may have put some into stock. It stops the P Plate destroying the primary cover.

Tim

Hi Tim,  it appears I have everything except the right friction plates. The kegler modification I would like to make is the simpler version that can be done in a home workshop . If successful I will post my experience. 

Looks interesting. I'll look forward to reading your article

Seems like what i have can be made to work, After some internal fetling with files and emery , Shortening the clutch outer cable and resetting the box lever to its furthest position, finding the best cable run ,setting up the pressure plate with a dial gauge I now have a one finger light  clutch that frees off perfectly and grips well. A set of 1" bar risers will make it perfect.

Sounds just as I have, Robert. Inc the 1 inch bar risers. It works !

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans