Skip to main content

500T Parts

Forums

Hi,

New here so be gentle!

I am in the process of re-commisioning my 1950 500T. Does anybody by any chance have a rear mudguard stay to copy or whether anyone currently reproduces them?

Also, original kickstart lever? (Iknow).

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Alan (Yorks)

Attachments 500t_1-jpg

Hello Alan,

I take it that is the stay with the lifting handle as on the photo you posted. Is the photo your bike? I don't know if mine is correct but I can post a picture for you to check then give you dimensions. I recently replaced my kickstart lever with a scrambles type from Terry Weedy. I had to machine approx. 0.050" from the rear face as it was designed for the AMC box but it does tuck in very well.

Rod

If you want a kick start lever to original spec, you will most likely need to buy a standard one and bend it (use heat and re-chrome) so that it tucks in closely like the factory 500T one. You might be best to buy one from a manufacturer un-chromed.

The closer a kick start lever fits in to the bike, the better. You reduce the sideways force on the bike, so you get more effective kick.

Paul

Thanks gentlemen for the replies.

The original photo is of a 500T i found on `google, sadly not mine.

I have now attached a photo of my own bike below.

It has what I believe is an ES2 rear mudguard stay which is similar but too short to act as a lifting handle. I can live with it but would prefer the correct item. Also, I would prefer to manufacture a new one rather than alter an original part that someone else may benefit from in the future.

Rod, I would appreciate a photo of your stay for comparison. I have seen two types previously, one with rounded loop and one square. Still not sure which is correct for which year. Does anyone know?

Thanks Also for the advice on the kickstart lever. It already has the scrambles type lever fitted but I would much prefer an original style one.

I was coming round to the idea of altering one at some time.

Thats again.

Alan

Attachments img_3143-jpg

Alan,

I got the bike outside this morning to take the pics, it is such a lovely day that I went out for a ride first.

I think that my stay may not be original. All the others I have seen support the mudguard at two points. It may have been altered when the bike was fitted with a dual seat.

My kick start lever has the minimum offset which Terry offers: can be helpful when stuck in a deep rut!

There are some nice 500Ts in Sammy Miller's museum and well worth a visit anyway.

Attachments grabrail-jpg kssmall.jpg

Both your bikes have the doll's head outer covers. For some reason I assumed that the 500T had the post-War 'vertical' box

Paul

Paul, I think that the reason the dolls head box was used is that the first of the 500Ts used the WD 16H gearbox with a shortened kick starter shaft and boss. it may have been a way of using up old stock! I think that the first gear ratio was altered on later 500Ts. I think that the dolls head box is one of the many features which contribute to the good looks of this model.

Alan, would you please post a photograph of the sidestand spring mounting.

Rod

Thanks for the replies.

Sadly Svein it is not the correct grab rail for a 500T.

Thanks again Rod. As you say, I think yours has been altered in the past.

I have found a chap down in Essex who can make replica chainguards for 500T's. I was going to get him to make me a mudguard stay but he is reluctant to do it from a drawing. He would like an original to copy.

Problem is, looking through google images there are more 500T's out there with incorrect stays than correct ones.

Rod, I will post a photo of the side stand spring as soon as I can. The bike is away at the moment. Should be back for the weekend though.

Regards to All.

A.

Hello Alan,

If you're not fixed up yet I have an original 500T with the correct rear mudguard stay assembly that you could copy. I see you live in Yorkshire so we may not be far away from each other, I live East of Leeds.

Regards,

Tony

At that time there would have been ex-WD gearboxes lying around, and they were perfect for the job. All those special features like the short kick-start shaft are part of the picture. The external clutch lifter is less visually neat but makes maintenance easier.

Paul

Previously rod_thompson wrote:

Paul, I think that the reason the dolls head box was used is that the first of the 500Ts used the WD 16H gearbox with a shortened kick starter shaft and boss. it may have been a way of using up old stock! I think that the first gear ratio was altered on later 500Ts. I think that the dolls head box is one of the many features which contribute to the good looks of this model.

Alan, would you please post a photograph of the sidestand spring mounting.

Rod

I thought that I would bump this back up to the top as I still need a picture of the side stand spring fixing (part no. C186).

Thanks,

Rod

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans