Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1972 Commando Roadster/Interstate

Forums

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 1972 750 Commando roadster that the owner told me was originally an interstate and I am trying to find out the differences between the models. I am aware of the tank, seat and the exhaust but are there any other subtle differences .

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers Andy

Is your bike a 1972 model or a late-'72 production 1973 Model Year ?

Trim-wise, the only thing that you haven't mentioned is the side panels and if you have a grab rail, they differ along with the seat (They were catalogued from '73 but would have appeared at the end of '72) However, there were some other options that were normally supplied.

There have been suggestions that the all the early '72 Interstates had 'Combat' motors with the black barrels together with a front disc. Both of these were options on a Roadster but contemporary press reports don't seem to have shown any drum-braked Interstates.

Dealers were quite prone to swapping parts around if a customer wanted a particular model or colour, especially if a stock item was proving to be slow-moving.

Roadsters often had the higher handlebars and Interstates (in Europe at least) the lower bars but the brochure suggests that either could be had as an option.

Previously richard_payne wrote:

Is your bike a 1972 model or a late-'72 production 1973 Model Year ?

Trim-wise, the only thing that you haven't mentioned is the side panels and if you have a grab rail, they differ along with the seat (They were catalogued from '73 but would have appeared at the end of '72) However, there were some other options that were normally supplied.

There have been suggestions that the all the early '72 Interstates had 'Combat' motors with the black barrels together with a front disc. Both of these were options on a Roadster but contemporary press reports don't seem to have shown any drum-braked Interstates.

Dealers were quite prone to swapping parts around if a customer wanted a particular model or colour, especially if a stock item was proving to be slow-moving.

Roadsters often had the higher handlebars and Interstates (in Europe at least) the lower bars but the brochure suggests that either could be had as an option.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, engine number is 2065xx so after the first Combat but I think mine is not a Combat.

I do not have a grab rail and not exactly sure about the side panels you mention, I will send the details to the NOC and see what comes back.

cheers

Andy

Hi,

I have a 750 interstate made in sept 72 engine No. 211!!! .

It never camw with a grab rail but I was told Roadsters only had chromed mudguards where as the Interstate came with Stainless mudguards, mine still has the original guards on it.

I have owned the bike from new.

Im attaching a pic when the bike was two weeks old. Its a standard

engine with silver barrels.

Attachments img_3200-1-jpg

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans