Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1962 dominator 650ss chrome exhaust pipes.

Forums

Hi fellow strugglers , I have been dealing with Armour motorcycles of Bournemouth and am not best pleased with the results . I have a timing side pipe that I think is useable but I am on my second drive side pipe and neither fit at all well. I have been told to bodge two sealing washers in instead of one to get some primary chaincase clearance and to strain the pipe off the frame of the bike before tightening the exhaust nut thus pulling everything sideways by deforming the sealing rings more on one side than the other.

At a cost off £100 .00 per pipe I expected a little better fit than I have got .

Has anyone else experienced these sort of problems with this company ?

Best regards to all  Bob Cooper

Hi Bob.

Unfortunately you are not alone. I bought a downpipe set for my Morini and when fitted the cross pipe/balance pipe between the pipes was more than 10mm out if line. Of course, Armours insisted it was my bike that was wrong,  not their jig. A search at the time revealed many people were experiencing similar issues on a variety of different bikes. For me,  I resorted to heat, bend and repolishing to get a fit as they were about the only people able to supply the pipes I needed.

That said, there are a lot of people who are totally satisfied with their Armours pipes, so it suggests that the issue lies with their quality control.

Good luck, 

George 

I wonder if the problem lies with the size/bend of the pipes they are using as patterns to create their templates. I bought a pair of pipes for my 1960 Dommie 99 from Armours and they were a perfect fit straight out of the box, no bending or fettling required. You could try Feked - I’ve had pretty good pipes from them for various bikes.

Good luck

Tony

My book shows a 62 650 with a 2-1 pipe. Chrome very good and bought from a known trader,

That is what I use with no issues. The camera does not lie. (Silencer came from RGM.

I've also had this problem, & not just with pipes from Armours. Years ago they sent me a pair for my '62 650ss, the timing side fitted well but the drive side sat hard up against the primary chaincase. I returned them & got a set from Feked which fitted fine.

More recently whilst rebuilding an OIF A65 I got Armours to supply a siamese pipe set, but unplated. These I adjusted to fit with the  oxypropane torch & welder & then sent back to Armours for plating. As supplied there was no way they would have fitted, even the bracket for pipe to frame strap was in the wrong place & would have interfered with the revcounter cable.

Years ago when I first had bikes, Armours had a reputation for making the best quality exhaust systems and were lauded by many journalists. That was the early 80’s.  When after a time away from bikes I got an Atlas, around 2005 I wanted 1-3/8” downpipes to replace the 1-5/8” originals (ex-Berliner export bike re-imported) and silencers to replace the corroded originals, I remembered the Armours reputation, so went to them in person to see if they could help.  They were able to supply 1-3/8” downpipes, though they were surprisingly long with a 1-5/8” section about 6” from the end for the silencer.  I was told I should shorten them if necessary, and that if the angle out of the head was not correct, this was ‘normal’ and I should not return them, but instead rework the flanges with a hammer to achieve the fit I wanted - so not exactly quality precision made then!

I was shown a silencer and it was immediately apparent that it was nothing like the profile of the originals, having a long parallel stub pipe to connect to the downpipes and the main body of the silencer finished abruptly at the stub pipe, rather than having a reduced diameter before the end, if they makes sense?  I commented the silencer was nothing like the original shape and was told quite bluntly that the silencer had been copied from a ‘certified’ original snd was correct fir an Atlas.  As for mine, they said those must be pattern silencers - they are clearly not, as they see identical to period brochure and road test photos.  I was quite surprised at the dismissive attitude and needless to say I did not buy the silencers.

With some trepidation I did buy the downpipes, together with a pair of ‘just in case’ sweptbacks, but for various reasons, the bike is still languishing in many pieces and I have yet to see whether it was good or bad purchase.

In reply to by andrew_mackenzie

Thank you all for your input . Always good to know that it is not just me struggling with replacement parts. I can say that although £25.00 out of pocket for postage Armours have given me a full refund for original parts .

I have now tried RGM and found that the original problem pipe on drive side is now very good but the timing side will stop me fixing the cable nut and cable to the rev counter gearbox. And so it goes on .

Once again appreciate all the input , best regards Bob Cooper

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans