Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1961 Model 50 Ignition Timing

Forums

Could you please advise me on the correct ignition timing setting for a 1961 Model 50. I have a copy of "The Book of the Norton" which states that the setting is 15/32" BTC but it neglects to say whether that is at full advance or full retard. Your advice on this matter would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Henry Gregson NOC member 107722

The Norton manual that I have (Illustrated Workshop Instruction Manual) for All models 1959-1967 says for the Model 50:

Before top Dead Center - Fully Advanced:

38 Degree or 11/32

The previously mentioned 15/32 is for the ES2

Mike

Well, my 1962 Maintenance Manual & Instruction Book, Norton publication P106, states 15/32" for the Model 50, 17/32" for the ES2, both 38 degrees btdc fully advanced.

Is this another example of a period manual c#ck-up? It has been known.....!

My manual also covers the twins, and I know the figures for those are correct.

Ian

Previously michael_sullivan wrote:

The Norton manual that I have (Illustrated Workshop Instruction Manual) for All models 1959-1967 says for the Model 50:

38 Degree or 11/32

Mike

I have been out to the garage and checked my copy of the 1959-1967 Illustrated Workshop Manual, and it states the same as the 1962 version, Mod.50 15/32" btdc, ES2 17/32" btdc.

Ian

38 degrees seems to be a constant figure so here is what I did some time ago:

With the primary chaincase off I found top dead center on the firing stroke and then painted a fine white line on the alternator and rotor. Then I bought a cheap plastis degree wheel and using a Dremel tool cut a fine slit in it at 38 deg. Holding it up to the alternator I then painted a fine white line through the slit onto the alternator body.

Now when I want to precisely time the bike I use a timing light. It is fun to watch the timing move forward and back as the revs change.

The Manual I have is numbered P106/P

Was there a change in the ignition timing at some point?

Mike

I agree that timing by degrees is a more accurate method than measuring down the plug-hole. Accurately finding tdc is vital, of course.

My other manual is also P106/P, Michael. I hate to say it, but did you have your glasses on when you read it?! When I first looked, as the type is very small, I thought it read 11/32", but on close examination i.e. when I put my glasses on, it does clearly read 15/32" for the Model 50 and 17/32" for the ES2, without a shadow of a doubt.

Ian

Previously michael_sullivan wrote:

38 Degree or 11/32

Mike

As above my friend that's what mine is and I have no problems except from the odd wet sump. I made a clip on device that goes across the points. It beeps when shut, the minute they start to open the beep stops. I suppose a clip on electric meter on continuity would suffice better than struggling. I also made a slider that fits onto a DTI. Itscrews into the plug hole and that way I can easily set my before TDC setting spot on....remember about the backlash and get the right stroke...easy to get 180 deg out. All helps when your getting older!

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans