Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1961 ES2 manual?

Forums

I have just acquired a 1961 ES2 and am having difficulty finding technical literature. I found and printed a PDF labeled "maintenance manual". It's a start, but I was hoping for something more in-depth.

What do other ES2 people use?

This forum to be honest.

Mike Pemberton is the OHV singles club expert and there is not much he doesn't know if you can't get the answers on here.

Certainly not opposed to asking questions here but it seems like there must have been some factory literature when these were new.

I emailed Haynes about this and they told me to bugger off. Laughing

There is the Norton handbook P106 that should help you as well as the Pitman and the C. Arthur Pearson books. There is also the Norton Motorcycles by Norton Motors service manager P.L.Garrast that covers all the singles and theand all the twins from 1948 to 1962.It is very comprehensive and it would be all you would need for maintenance and servicing for your ES2.

Previously anthony_curzon wrote:

There is the Norton handbook P106 that should help you as well as the Pitman and the C. Arthur Pearson books. There is also the Norton Motorcycles by Norton Motors service manager P.L.Garrast that covers all the singles and theand all the twins from 1948 to 1962.It is very comprehensive and it would be all you would need for maintenance and servicing for your ES2.

Author is P L Garratt, only know as I tried searching for Garrast and got nothing.

Regards, Paul

Even if you find a more in depth book, Allen, never be afraid to ask the most mundane of questions on this forum. I've used it almost non-stop since I got my '55 ES2. There is a mass of knowledge out there. George

There is another book that is really the handbook and the workshop manual that has been incorporated into one book called Norton Service and Overhaul Manual by F.W.Neill. The ISBN number 0 850700 41 6 and it was old by almost all Norton dealers who sold spare parts. Norvil or Fair Spares used to sell this book, and I am sure it can still be obtained at auto jumbles. F.W.Neill was the service manager at Plumstead for AMC butthese manuals also incorporated the OHNV singles and all the twins.

It was a missed key mistake and itwas written P.L.Garratt of Norton Motors Ltd. This book also has over 90 illustrations. It was published by C.Arthur Pearson Ltd and this one is the fifth edition from 1962. It does notlist an ISBN number. I bought all my copies at auto jumbles.

Thanks all for the information. I'll look for these online.I'm afraid autojumbles are not an option since I'm in the U.S.

I'm also sure that I'll be asking questions here. My bike is far from stock and sure to present unusual problems.

Allen, they call them 'swap meets' in the US of A. I have attended a couple but found the bike bits to be 99% HOG.. Good Luck.

Allen:

Go here: Bruce-Main-Smith.co.uk

He should have a copy of what you need.

If all else fails, let me know at mikemill20@aol.com and I will make you a photocopy of the one I have. It is labled:

Illustrated Workshop Instruction Manual

for the Unapproachable

NORTON

1959-1967

Models: no. 50,ES2,88,99,650,Sports Specials, 750 Atlas and 750 Scrambler.

p.s. I am in California

Mike

I have the maintenance manual and instruction book (which I assume is what you have), Roy Bacons book for the history and photos, the clymer book of the Norton for SUV and ohv singles and a parts book. That just about does me, with any other questions not answered in the books posted here!

Previously allen_hanford wrote:

Thanks all for the information. I'll look for these online.I'm afraid autojumbles are not an option since I'm in the U.S.

I'm also sure that I'll be asking questions here. My bike is far from stock and sure to present unusual problems.

Allen I think I may have the booklet/info you require, I have a late 50's ES2 and bought but the info relates more to the early 60's featherbedsingles (50/ES2)& twins like the Atlas.

It's original in good condition, if you are still needing something contact me on brianwest57@gmail.com

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans