Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1957 International History Help Needed

Forums

I have been very lucky to have inherited my late Godfatherâs 1957, Model 30 Norton International, however I would really like to learn all about the Nortonâs History.

The Nortonâs registration is âUON 363â and was supplied by Jack Surtees assuming that the front mudguard is the original mudguard as it proudly displays the âSupplied by Jack Surtees, of Forest Hillâ badge.

My Godfather purchased the bike in October 2000 and the bike had previously been owned Don Morely the renowned photographer and motorcycling author.

Don apparently purchased the bike from the late Brian Verral in the 1970âs. I have also learned that prior to Donâs selling it, âUON 363â won the Norton Owners Clubâs âBest Single Cylinderâ award at the Isle of Man TT but I am unsure in what year, as well as appearing in Donâs book âNortonâ published by Osprey in 1990. That unfortunately is as far as my knowledge goes at this moment in time.

If anyone has any information or pictures of the Norton from any period of its life I would be very interested to hear from you, and you can contact me my via my t509andy@gmail.com email address or by phoning 07974 757932.

The Norton now resides with me in Inverness, where I intend riding and showing it as often as is possible whilst maintaining its excellent original and unrestored condition.

Many thanks in advance for any information that may be shared with me.

Andy

Attachments norton-pic-small-jpg

Hi Andy,

This is indeed a very nice bike. I thought I saw it being advertised by one of the auction houses very recently, or if not it was a very similar machine.

You will also find a picture of Stu Avant on thebike in Roy Bacons Norton buyers Guide - P39

I think you will find the machine has probably been restored at some time and there is some debate about whether the rear brake was original from the factory. The front brake was definitely available as an optional extra but making the rear brake fit is a major engineering and alignment exercise. I know, I've done it.

Having said this, the manx brakes certainly meanthe machine is potentially a better stopper than any other motorcycle Norton's produced, and when combined with the featherbed roadholding, make a great bike for scratching around some of those deserted and open highland roads. Enjoy !

Regards,

Alan.

PS Think the rear hub would be better black ?

Previously alan_elstob wrote:

Hi Andy,

This is indeed a very nice bike. I thought I saw it being advertised by one of the auction houses very recently, or if not it was a very similar machine.

You will also find a picture of Stu Avant on thebike in Roy Bacons Norton buyers Guide - P39

I think you will find the machine has probably been restored at some time and there is some debate about whether the rear brake was original from the factory. The front brake was definitely available as an optional extra but making the rear brake fit is a major engineering and alignment exercise. I know, I've done it.

Having said this, the manx brakes certainly meanthe machine is potentially a better stopper than any other motorcycle Norton's produced, and when combined with the featherbed roadholding, make a great bike for scratching around some of those deserted and open highland roads. Enjoy !

Regards,

Alan.

PS Think the rear hub would be better black ?

Hi Alan,

Many thanks for your reply.

You are correct it was advertised but never went to Auction.

The hub is black, but where the paint has flaked the red undercoat is showing through.

I do believe that the bike has never been fully restored, especially as the tank etc detail has been touched up over the years.

Regards

Andy

Previously andrew_how wrote:

I have been very lucky to have inherited my late Godfatherâs 1957, Model 30 Norton International, however I would really like to learn all about the Nortonâs History.

The Nortonâs registration is âUON 363â and was supplied by Jack Surtees assuming that the front mudguard is the original mudguard as it proudly displays the âSupplied by Jack Surtees, of Forest Hillâ badge.

My Godfather purchased the bike in October 2000 and the bike had previously been owned Don Morely the renowned photographer and motorcycling author.

Don apparently purchased the bike from the late Brian Verral in the 1970âs. I have also learned that prior to Donâs selling it, âUON 363â won the Norton Owners Clubâs âBest Single Cylinderâ award at the Isle of Man TT but I am unsure in what year, as well as appearing in Donâs book âNortonâ published by Osprey in 1990. That unfortunately is as far as my knowledge goes at this moment in time.

If anyone has any information or pictures of the Norton from any period of its life I would be very interested to hear from you, and you can contact me my via my t509andy@gmail.com email address or by phoning 07974 757932.

The Norton now resides with me in Inverness, where I intend riding and showing it as often as is possible whilst maintaining its excellent original and unrestored condition.

Many thanks in advance for any information that may be shared with me.

Andy

Take a look at 'The Classic Motorcycle' from October 1983, page 55. You will find an article by Bob Currie about your International. A lot of the article is inaccurate, particularly about the Inter and the Clubmans TT. The bike was found in Ireland in and was missing a lot of it's original parts. I would contact Don Morley, as he will know more. When the bike was new it would have been a standard, grey 1957 Inter.

Barry Stickland

I was going to say ask Barry. I have a 57 Inter and its poly grey with chrome tank panels. I think there was only 3 black inter featherbeds and they all went to NZ.

The headlight looks wrong and the paint on the oil tank and petrol tank is not correct. It's been rebuilt but if you like it the way it is just use it. Mine was a wreck so I had no choice but to rebuild it and so I went back to standard.

Mark

Previously barry_stickland wrote:

Take a look at 'The Classic Motorcycle' from October 1983, page 55. You will find an article by Bob Currie about your International. A lot of the article is inaccurate, particularly about the Inter and the Clubmans TT. The bike was found in Ireland in and was missing a lot of it's original parts. I would contact Don Morley, as he will know more. When the bike was new it would have been a standard, grey 1957 Inter.

Barry Stickland

Thanks for that Barry,

I have now sourced a copy of the magazine on ebay.

Andy

Previously barry_stickland wrote:

Barry Stickland

Many thanks Barry,

I have sourced a copy of the magazine from Ebay.

Andy

Previously mark_dinsdale wrote:

I was going to say ask Barry. I have a 57 Inter and its poly grey with chrome tank panels. I think there was only 3 black inter featherbeds and they all went to NZ.

The headlight looks wrong and the paint on the oil tank and petrol tank is not correct. It's been rebuilt but if you like it the way it is just use it. Mine was a wreck so I had no choice but to rebuild it and so I went back to standard.

Mark

Hi Mark,

From a sentimental point of view, I wont be restoring and changing the bike as it is how my late Godfather ran it...

I will be maintaining its condition and use it as often as I can.

Andy

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans