Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1957 ES2 in red

Forums

Hi Guys, I am about to start a restoration on my 1957 ES2, it is red and as I have seen Dominators of the same year in red could this be its original colour? I have written to NOC records and have been advised it was supplied to Agent/Dealer- Rye ,then sold to a customer in London SW6, at some stage later immigrating to New Zealand, the record does not say what colour it was, I would like to know if this is something special as I was thinking about putting it back to black and silver. Thanks Al

Attachments model-7-es2-s-n-007-jpg

There are a jillion black and silver Nortons on the road.

If you have checked over and under all the little hidden places and are confident that the bike was originally red, I would leave it that way.

Back in the days when sales were slow, the factory would paint it any color you wanted just to make the sale.

Over here it is uncommon to see an ES2 full stop and I have never seen one the same model as mine, being a bit conservative I think it would be fine in black and silver, but I thought I may have been destroying a bit of a history, asI deem this site to be the home of experts, the lack of response tells me red appears not to be a factory colour, Thanks for your help.

Al

Hello,

I have a 1959 registered ES2 but made

in late 1958 (going by frame number) that

is painted red.

I also thought of changing the colour to

the "normal" black and silver, but have since

decided to retain its more unique red colour.

And so there are two!

Alan, are you in NZ?

From the picture it looks like your forks are short road holders?

The seats are available new from RK Leighton in Birmingham, I was told.

I'm still looking for a rear mudguard and it looks like the chain guard is coming from Canada unless anyone knows if you can make a Dommie one fit?

Bits coming from Australia and US of A to date, I might call my Model 50 an International Mk2? But it's started now so will finish!

Hello Michael,

Is the wide line Dommie rear mudguard split at the rear? I can only relate to the slimline which is totally different. Obviously the front fixing holes will be different but that's not an issue. Shape of course is everything as the frames are different!

I have all the part numbers, thanks to our friend Ian, down under. I will check the mudguards out, unless anyone can shed light on this first.

I still think Alan's Road holders are short and the front mudguard looks like a later one. That's for him though.

Anyone know where they get the springs for the stands from? My centre stand had to be remade as the club one wasn't the right design but just happened to be the correct width at the pivot point. The club have no springs for these Norton's, I gave them the part numbers.

I bet some folks think that Norton only made F/beds and Commando' and now the 961?

(Nice to see the lightweight twins getting some support in recent years but what about OHV pre f/beds?)

Previously Neil Wyatt wrote:

(Nice to see the lightweight twins getting some support in recent years but what about OHV pre f/beds?)

Well ive got one of each and another in boxes! I agree the forks look a bit short?

Previously alan_rogers wrote:

Hi Guys, I am about to start a restoration on my 1957 ES2, it is red and as I have seen Dominators of the same year in red could this be its original colour? I have written to NOC records and have been advised it was supplied to Agent/Dealer- Rye ,then sold to a customer in London SW6, at some stage later immigrating to New Zealand, the record does not say what colour it was, I would like to know if this is something special as I was thinking about putting it back to black and silver. Thanks Al

Hi. yes check all the hidden places on the frame / swinging-arm..ETC.//. check up Norton-Optional-Colour- of POST-OFFICE-PILLAR-BOX-RED FOR 1957/ 1958.. was listed not sure-where, but i know i did-mine..as i got pissed off with everything-black./// .polychromatic-grey-is nice-- each to there own.. some off the old-timers will remember-POST-OFFICE-RED..NORTONS.. IT WOULD -LOOK A BIT LIKE THIS-BABY..

Attachments 093-jpg

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans