Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1957 Dommi 88

Forums

I am back in the sixties my friends !!! after going through probably fifty different bikes since then I have the exact model I had then. Same colour which is my question.

I am a newbie and this info may be on this site somewhere .

For want of a better description I call it metalic dark Elephant. You know the one dark grey.

Has it got a paint code (RAL No.)? The bike has a great patina which I shall not spoil. Just some areas I can't live with. Like where a reflector had been stuck on ect.

Ah, it's called polychromatic gunmetal grey I believe, available from rsbikepaint.com just put in Norton dominator 88 and the year 1957 and it will give you a choice of the original colours available for that year. ð

Previously tim_harris wrote:

Ah, it's called polychromatic gunmetal grey I believe, available from rsbikepaint.com just put in Norton dominator 88 and the year 1957 and it will give you a choice of the original colours available for that year. ð

Just one problem: Unless you are going to totally re-paint, the original colour is unlikely to match what it has faded to now. A good paint shop should be able to match your existing paint more accurately. I had my primary chaincase repainted, last year. After going through a selection of paint charts, a perfect match was found (for my bike, it turned out to be a Harley Davidson colour).

I have used Audi Dakota grey metalic/pearlescent with great success, but as John says, it depends on how much your original paint has faded.

Thanks for all the info. If I have the base colour that is great. My life time job has been restoring painted antique stuff so will decant the spray can and tint and age it to match.

I googled it and various bits from the Norton site came up too.

I am repainting a BSA Bantam (if I am allowed to say that here) it looks far to bright so it will probably get a wash of mucky brown /black to calm it down.

thanks again

John B.

I tried the RS Bikepaint site for my bike. It didn't offer a reference for Norton Polychromatic Blue, the original paint on my '55 Model 88. FWIW, a Norton owner with a similar bike says he has matched it to VW A62 Calypso metallic

RS Bikepaint offers only red as a colour for 1958-9 Dominators. Is that correct, they were all red?

Paul

Previously tim_harris wrote:

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans