Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1956 Dominator

Forums

I have a problem with the lengths of the swinging arm spindle and the stud fitted a few inches above it, both stainless. They both seem slightly too short as they use only about 2/3 of the available thread in the nuts. MoT testers have tutted but not actually given a failure. I can't measure their lengths, to find longer ones, without removing them, which I'm not keen to do without having replacements.

Each nut has a single washer and the thicknesses of the washers and the depths of the nuts are not unduly large.

Any thoughts?

How many threads are in the nuts?, if you have thread length equivalent to the diameter of the stud, that is sufficient, sometimes the stock nuts for those were quite deep, but for a 1/2" stud you should have 1/2" minimum of free thread (after the washer goes on).

Any less and you really should think of replacing them IMHO.

Cheers,

Niall

Previously Niall Topping wrote:

How many threads are in the nuts?, if you have thread length equivalent to the diameter of the stud, that is sufficient, sometimes the stock nuts for those were quite deep, but for a 1/2" stud you should have 1/2" minimum of free thread (after the washer goes on).

Any less and you really should think of replacing them IMHO.

Cheers,

Niall

The stud above the S/A spindle is 3/8" diameter and about 3/8" of the thread is screwed into the nut, so on that basis is OK.

The S/A spindle is 1/2" diameter but also has about 3/8" of the thread screwed into the nut, so is not OK.

The nuts are 1/2" deep.

Does anyone know exactly how long the S/A spindle should be?

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans