Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1955 ES2 petrol tank livery

Forums

Can anyone confirm the correct livery of a 1955 ES2 petrol tank?

I was advised on the NOC Factory Record that it left the factory with a chromed tank - but - idi it have the Norton logo painted or was it badged.

This is my bike and respective tank today - http://www.flickr.com/photos/39648370@N06/9125343486/in/photolist-eUnLGo-b8iJzt-beKi72-bachXR - taken from my Flickr page.

I want to restore to a chromed version but cannot confirm what the correct paint/livery was - any help and pictures would be of great help.

Best regards

David

If it's any help, my mate has a 1956 ES2 that he bought in the early '60's and it has the chrome tank with the painted 'NORTON' logo. ThoughI don't know if that was original from the factory. The painted logo certainly looks better to me!

Previously Paul Knapp wrote:

If it's any help, my mate has a 1956 ES2 that he bought in the early '60's and it has the chrome tank with the painted 'NORTON' logo. ThoughI don't know if that was original from the factory. The painted logo certainly looks better to me!

Thanks Paul - I agree with your regarding the painted version but annoying how difficult it is to find out what the true version was ..... David

Attachments p7050040lr-jpg

Just a bit of book reading - Bacon's Norton Singles says1955 as 1953 but round badge (which you have); polished fork sliders; 'more prominent nuts and bolts polished after plating'...(all of which you seem to have).And for 1953 - chrome plated tank with polychromatic grey panels with black outer and inner red lines. Oil tank black; wheels chrome with silver centres lined red.(which you have) Your knee rubbers look a bit wrong - Bacon's book shows thicker ones with Norton name on them. The name is horizontal (unlike the earlier ones where the word was slanting). I'm sure they are available.

Oh - and the shape of the panel...I've not seen it described but photos and bikes show all sorts of slight differences. Sometimes on old photos the panel is even partly obscured by the knee pad - so it looks freehand and not really rigidly defined. Yours looks fine and very similar in shape to the 19R on page 121 of Bacon. Likewise your knee pads look correct shape - just don't have the name.

Previously David Cooper wrote:

Oh - and the shape of the panel...I've not seen it described but photos and bikes show all sorts of slight differences. Sometimes on old photos the panel is even partly obscured by the knee pad - so it looks freehand and not really rigidly defined. Yours looks fine and very similar in shape to the 19R on page 121 of Bacon. Likewise your knee pads look correct shape - just don't have the name.
Hi David,
Many, many thanks for your information - that is so helpfull .......
As I have the factory record saying it left with chrome finish I just need to chrome it and restablish the current livery, plus new knee pads - and of course - Bacons book on singles.
Great result thank you and best regards.
David

Previously ian_allen wrote:

Try this:

http://www.motos-anglaises.com/catalogues/Norton/catalogue_norton_1955_1_anglais.pdf

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for this ..... the only issue is the knee grips as I have been advised that in 1955 the ES@'s were fitted with the same knee grips as the Model 7 (Part No K12/282). My knee grips are glued on and the image attached is supposedly the gorrect grp - except I cannot find any reference or image other than this that was posted in 2011 on the forum by a member who I think has since left.

what do you think?

Attachments dscn00941-jpg

Hi.

If you go to http://www.motos-anglaises.com/you'll find a 54 catalogue as well and you can see the knee grip was held on by two screws on that year's ES2. No screws can be seen in the 55 pic's. Also in Roy Bacon's ' Norton Singles' book (p.190) he mentions theES2 as having 'thinner knee grips' for 1955. I'd say the ones in your attachment (dcsn00941) are right.

Regards,

Ian.

Hi.

If you go to http://www.motos-anglaises.com/you'll find a 54 catalogue as well and you can see the knee grip was held on by two screws on that year's ES2. No screws can be seen in the 55 pic's. Also in Roy Bacon's ' Norton Singles' book (p.190) he mentions theES2 as having 'thinner knee grips' for 1955. I'd say the ones in your attachment (dcsn00941) are right.

Regards,

Ian.

I have ordered the book - many thanks

Previously David Cooper wrote:

Really needs the Norton name though. Regards David

As I said, the ones in Attachment dcsn00941 (with the 'Norton' name). Can't find any on the net at the moment although they do come up on e-bay occasionally. Regards, Ian.

Yeah, but the ancientLaw of Sod dictates that the last surviving left hand one, in the world, will be upon E-bay in2 months time..............

Good luck with the restoration.

Ian.

Yeah, but the ancientLaw of Sod dictates that the last surviving left hand one, in the world, will be upon E-bay in2 months time..............

Good luck with the restoration.

Ian.

As you say - sod's law ..... I only have the tank to get chromed and painted to finish the bike - any recommendations for that?

Previously david_henshaw wrote:

I was advised on the NOC Factory Record that it left the factory with a chromed tank - but - idi it have the Norton logo painted or was it badged.

This is my bike and respective tank today - http://www.flickr.com/photos/39648370@N06/9125343486/in/photolist-eUnLGo-b8iJzt-beKi72-bachXR - taken from my Flickr page.

I want to restore to a chromed version but cannot confirm what the correct paint/livery was - any help and pictures would be of great help.

Best regards

David

Hello Dave your bike look right too me as Not all Nortons Had Chrome Petrol tanks there was a lot of painted ones too, even some of the twins had all painted tanks in the same years 54/55 this cut down on production costs So do worry about it your bike a very nice looking Norton motorcycle too been proud Of and enjoy riding it. its a show winner . Yours Anna J

Previously anna jeannette Dixon wrote:

Previously david_henshaw wrote:

Best regards

David

Hello Dave your bike look right too me as Not all Nortons Had Chrome Petrol tanks there was a lot of painted ones too, even some of the twins had all painted tanks in the same years 54/55 this cut down on production costs So do worry about it your bike a very nice looking Norton motorcycle too been proud Of and enjoy riding it. its a show winner . Yours Anna J

Hi Anna,

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment and very flattering to say "it's a show winner" - not quite but I do enjoy it especially living in Menorca with great weather, nice raods and very little traffic!

I was considering chroming the tank only because that is how it left the factory and from a purely personal view I prefer them chromed, but as you say - not totally necessary.

I will be looking for an earlier plunger version as soon as I can sell my 650SS - what to you think of this -http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161150401578&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1120

Best regards

David

Hi all, not sure if this will be helpfull, but I own a '50 model 7 with the original nee grips & even though in the pictures & literature it seems to have no screws, it does in fact have 2 screws, but they are cleverly hidden under 4 tiny flaps that look like an "X" so that the screw head is hidden under the flaps & the "x" shaped gap is hidden by the back ground pattern. The modern replacements dont go to the trouble, or cost to make the hidden screw flaps, so the screws are very visable like so:

Here are some pics of my original 1950 knee pads:

http://s306.photobucket.com/user/skipsoldbikes/library/?sort=3&page=1

Skip Brolund

Hi,and for a while ago somebody told Fred Williams/wideline repro parts had the right type glue on kneepads with theNorton name.I hope this is some help.

Regards from Svein.

Correct, but could someone provide contact details for Fred Williams/Wideline repro parts as I a Require a set of these Kneepads.

Thanks Al

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans