Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1955 88 tank paint lines

Forums

Just had a great day at the NMM. great examples of our marque. However the examples shown for the 88 1955 showed the tank lines (centre panel) curtailed at the front and rear of the chrome tank and linked across the tank in a straight line at the rear and curved to the centre at the front. Can someone confirm this is correct because my memory from the one I owned in the early 60's had the lines going straight to the edge of the tank I think!

Previously roger_wilson wrote:

Just had a great day at the NMM. great examples of our marque. However the examples shown for the 88 1955 showed the tank lines (center panel) curtailed at the front and rear of the chrome tank and linked across the tank in a straight line at the rear and curved to the center at the front. Can someone confirm this is correct because my memory from the one I owned in the early 60's had the lines going straight to the edge of the tank I think!

HELLO We it would be very nice if there was some photos, we can then tell you better , Not all tanks were Chromed some were just painted , and there were four different colors too , from red/ sliver / polychromatic grey light blueAttachments Picture%20734.jpg

NMM is a 'nit picker's' paradise, isn't it?I was vaguely disappointed to see modern grease nipples (with bobbly ends for clip-on grease guns) on prewar bikes. Missing Dzus fastener on the seat of a 650SS. Tank top instrument on a prewar single was painted instead of being dull chrome. And I'd like to know if the tank top panels did or did not have the painted red and black lines around the edges as theirs does.Re your question - there's a good photo of a post war chromed and painted tank which appears occasionally on the passing top banner on this web site. Does it assist?Can we inspect the images on the 'carousel' at the top of the page?David

Previously David Cooper wrote:

NMM is a 'nit picker's' paradise, isn't it? I was vaguely disappointed to see modern grease nipples (with bobbly ends for clip-on grease guns) on prewar bikes. Missing Dzus fastener on the seat of a 650SS. Tank top instrument on a prewar single was painted instead of being dull chrome. And I'd like to know if the tank top panels did or did not have the painted red and black lines around the edges as theirs does. Re your question - there's a good photo of a post war chromed and painted tank which appears occasionally on the passing top banner on this web site. Does it assist? Can we inspect the images on the 'carousel' at the top of the page? David

You can right click save it and enlarge on computer and it does appear to show the rear line stopping in front of dualseat but cannot determine the front line. looks like a '55 internatiol tank to me.

Thanks to all replies I guess there is unlikely to be any 1955 chrome tanks surviving for reference.

If you type in 'model 50 fuel tank' in messages under 'Singles' you'll see what could be the livery you are asking about.RegardsDavid

NMM is a 'nit picker's' paradise, isn't it? I was vaguely disappointed to see modern grease nipples (with bobbly ends for clip-on grease guns) on prewar bikes. Missing Dzus fastener on the seat of a 650SS. Tank top instrument on a prewar single was painted instead of being dull chrome. And I'd like to know if the tank top panels did or did not have the painted red and black lines around the edges as theirs does. Re your question - there's a good photo of a post war chromed and painted tank which appears occasionally on the passing top banner on this web site. Does it assist? Can we inspect the images on the 'carousel' at the top of the page? David
Hello Dzus fasteners on my Norton were dumped in the bin has there not that good on seats I have fitted a nice screw in knob in White So it goes with the white piping around the seat and its far better has it dose not come lose like the Dzus Fastener , problem solved yours Anna J

Just had a great day at the NMM. great examples of our marque. However the examples shown for the 88 1955 showed the tank lines (centre panel) curtailed at the front and rear of the chrome tank and linked across the tank in a straight line at the rear and curved to the centre at the front. Can someone confirm this is correct because my memory from the one I owned in the early 60's had the lines going straight to the edge of the tank I think!

Roger, I've just had a look at my, one previous owner unrestored 1955 dommi and the lines are as you remembered. If you e.mail me (55domiatgmaildotcom) i will send some pics. Regards Neil

Previously neil_peyton wrote:

Roger, I've just had a look at my, one previous owner unrestored 1955 dommi and the lines are as you remembered. If you e.mail me (55domiatgmaildotcom) i will send some pics. Regards Neil

Will do and thank you Neil.

My thanks to Neil. For info the front lines for the tank do not meet across the tank but go straight on curving over the front of the tank roughly in line with the strap pivot. I am not a "nit picker" but from my memory and Neil's tank I would suggest the tanks on the refurbished bikes in the NMM are incorrect- possibly sourced from India- and very well finished.

I still have my 1955 Dommie 88 tank, but it's well-battered and deep inside my shed somewhere! The tank was chromed and the lined, painted section had been repainted red before I bought it (in 1964!) but as I recall the original lines still showed. The rest of the bike was standard Poly Grey colur. I sold the frame, after I crashed it in 1965, to Barry Lawton (Syd's son) as he wanted to swap it for his Manx, Reynold's Tubed frame as that kept breaking! Any weight-saving benefits go out the window if the damn frame breaks in a race! When I get a Round Tuit I'll try digging it out and make a tracing of the tank lining!

PS. For the people who have read this before I edited/corrected it. I must have had a 'Senior Moment' because the part I have italicised is wrong! I sold a 'QR' camshaft to Barry but I sold the 1955 '88' frame to an IoM racer - for the reasons I gave above. Sorry!blush

You can right click save it and enlarge on computer and it does appear to show the rear line stopping in front of dualseat but cannot determine the front line. looks like a '55 internatiol tank to me.

Thanks to all replies I guess there is unlikely to be any 1955 chrome tanks surviving for reference.

Previously anna jeannette Dixon wrote:

Hello Dzus fasteners on my Norton were dumped in the bin has there not that good on seats I have fitted a nice screw in knob in White So it goes with the white piping around the seat and its far better has it dose not come lose like the Dzus Fastener , problem solved yours Anna J
PS I have a 1954 dominator and Imodifyingthe under seatfastens to two nice knob fastings so you can get the seat of easy, just like the slimline yours Anna J

Previously anna jeannette Dixon wrote:

I have a 1954 dominator and Imodifyingthe under seatfastens to two nice knob fastings so you can get the seat of easy, just like the slimline yours Anna J

Standard was a wing nut, on a Whitworth thread. The wings stop the nut from undoing itself in use. What did you make, so that it installs / undoes easily, but doesn't undo itself? I consider that standard arrangement to be awkward and needing improvement....

Paul

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans