Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1952 ES2 primary chain

Forums

Working my way through the 101 bodges on my recently acquired machine I found it had a 18 tooth engine sprocket with the wrong offset, so a 20 tooth sprocket and new length of chain were bought. I measured what I thought was the right number of links on the new chain and split it. When offered up to the bike it was too short with the gearbox fully forward. Damn. So added a link and the chain became too long, gearbox right back in its slots. After some head scratching I realized it wanted an additional link removing and one and a half links adding. This I did and gearbox is now in mid position with correct chain adjustment. As a 20 tooth sprocket is correct for solo gearing would Norton have designed a set up from new with a half link? John

Never thought about the half link from standard but I suppose they must have fitted them. I'm assuming you are using the original spec chain of course.

What struck me is that you might have sidecar yokes fitted to your forks, given the lower gearing? Just a thought...

The standard g/box sprocket is 19T

Previously Neil Wyatt wrote:

Never thought about the half link from standard but I suppose they must have fitted them. I'm assuming you are using the original spec chain of course.

What struck me is that you might have sidecar yokes fitted to your forks, given the lower gearing? Just a thought...

How do I tell if I have sidecar yokes? John

When assembling my '57 Model 77 from bits, I also discovered that the factory used a half-link on the primary chain. Didn't realize it at first, but Les Emery told me so. I checked the parts list & there it was, right on the factory parts list as Les had mentioned.I never would have imagined that the factory would use a half link.

Previously Neil Wyatt wrote:

Hi Neil,

As far as I am aware Nortons never made sidecar yolks for long roadholders as used onpre featherbed frames and it wasn't until the featherbed with short roadholders came along that it was found necessary to fit different yolks so they would handle with a sidecar fitted. Regards, Richard.

How are sidecar yolks and springs identified? And what are the effects of having them fitted to a solo?

The reason I ask is that I have Model19 rigid with long roadholders that clunk loudly over bumps, despite having new steering head bearings and fork bushes fitted, with 150 mils of oil inside.

I know the bike used to have a double sidecar fitted.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, as it is driving me mad.

Hi Peter, while searching for forks for my M77 I innadvertantly bought a sidecar yoke. It was stamped on the bottom "SIDECAR". I suppose one could insert a stancheon & measure the angle as well.

Just as a point of note, A yoke is a beam normally used between a pair of oxen or other animals to enable them to pull together on a load when working in pairs, much like the 2 fork legs on our motorcycles; some yokes are fitted to individual animals. This is where the steering yoke got its name. Not to be confused with yolks, which of course are part of an egg.

laughyes

Skip,

This sidecar yoke, I assume it was from a later short RH model. If it was in fact from a Long RH set of forks then it reopens an issue. Hope Richard was right.

Previously eugene_brolund wrote:

Hi Peter, while searching for forks for my M77 I innadvertantly bought a sidecar yoke. It was stamped on the bottom "SIDECAR". I suppose one could insert a stancheon & measure the angle as well.

Just as a point of note, A yoke is a beam normally used between a pair of oxen or other animals to enable them to pull together on a load when working in pairs, much like the 2 fork legs on our motorcycles; some yokes are fitted to individual animals. This is where the steering yoke got its name. Not to be confused with yolks, which of course are part of an egg.

laughyes

Hi Eugene/ Neil,

Sorry for my incompetent spelling, I should have known that being a born and bred yokel. I have never seen or heard of long roadholder sidecar yokes in the 40 years I have had outfits but you would need to check all relevant parts lists to be certain. The featherbed headstock is shorter than the lugged gardengate frames, so the stemof the bottom yoke is shorter and smaller diameter. Regards, Richard.

P.S. Only 2 n and 1 a in inadvertently and no e in stanchion. TouchÃ? ??

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans