Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1949 ES2 gearbox lubrication

Forums

Good Afternoon All.

There seems to be no mention in my manuals of the lubrication method for the gearchange and kickstart machanisms on the upright type 4 speedgearbox on 1946-49 ES2 models. I assume it's grease through the small inspection cover above the kickstart crank,or do you have to remove the main cover to gain access ?. At the moment it's nice and clean but very dry in there.

Regards Edward.

Previously terence_terrell wrote:

Good Afternoon All.

There seems to be no mention in my manuals of the lubrication method for the gearchange and kickstart machanisms on the upright type 4 speedgearbox on 1946-49 ES2 models. I assume it's grease through the small inspection cover above the kickstart crank,or do you have to remove the main cover to gain access ?. At the moment it's nice and clean but very dry in there.

Regards Edward.

hi edward the bolt in the centre of the gear lever that holds the gear indicator has a grease nipple made in the head of the bolt it would be a good idear to put a small amount of oil in through the cover above the kick start lever

regards roger

Previously roger_deadman wrote:

Good Afternoon All.

Regards Edward.

hi edward the bolt in the centre of the gear lever that holds the gear indicator has a grease nipple made in the head of the bolt it would be a good idear to put a small amount of oil in through the cover above the kick start lever

regards roger

Many Thanks Roger

I don't seem to have the grease nipple but just a plain bolt holding the gear indicator in place(unless it's exposed when the bolt is removed)

I'll remove the bolt and see,if it's not there I'll inject some grease along the shaft anway.

Best Regards

Edward

Many Thanks Roger

I don't seem to have the grease nipple but just a plain bolt holding the gear indicator in place(unless it's exposed when the bolt is removed)

I'll remove the bolt and see,if it's not there I'll inject some grease along the shaft anway.

Best Regards

Edward

Edward: Are you talking about lubricating the gear selection shaft or the internals of the gearbox itself?

In no way can I imagine that the inside of the gearbox should be dry!

Mike

Previously michael_sullivan wrote:

Many Thanks Roger

Best Regards

Edward

Edward: Are you talking about lubricating the gear selection shaft or the internals of the gearbox itself?

In no way can I imagine that the inside of the gearbox should be dry!

Mike

Hi Mike. Thanks for your reply.

It's the lubrication of the gear change mechanism in the chamber between the inner and outer covers. There should be a grease nipple on the end of the select shaft.I am told. I don't have this. just a plain bolt.

Regards Edward

Terence,

There should be a bolt holding the gear indicator with a grease nipple manufactured into it as said by Edward. This little chappie lubricates all the mechanism for the pozitive stop gear change, ie, the uppy, downy gear selecting. Have a look at the parts manual or find a victim with an upright gear box. The bolt are available, somewhere.

To lubricate the gears them selves, acess is through the bolt hole at the botton left corner to the leftof the kickstart. I use liquid grease and a little bit of EP140. Originally the manual says 50/50 grease and EP90. If you have some new super dooper teflon based lube ie, Active 8 or similar, bung some in.

It will of course leak out and you will inherit the best lubed chain in the county, but fear not, it will find its own level eventually and settle down. To fill the gearbox I use a syringe and a short length of rubber hose that is a good fit in the filler hole and suck up the lube, poke it in the hole and make sure it is a snug, fit then pump it in.

You will have a great time doing this.

Happy Lubing,

Boo.

Previously boo_cock wrote:

Terence,

There should be a bolt holding the gear indicator with a grease nipple manufactured into it as said by Edward. This little chappie lubricates all the mechanism for the pozitive stop gear change, ie, the uppy, downy gear selecting. Have a look at the parts manual or find a victim with an upright gear box. The bolt are available, somewhere.

To lubricate the gears them selves, acess is through the bolt hole at the botton left corner to the leftof the kickstart. I use liquid grease and a little bit of EP140. Originally the manual says 50/50 grease and EP90. If you have some new super dooper teflon based lube ie, Active 8 or similar, bung some in.

It will of course leak out and you will inherit the best lubed chain in the county, but fear not, it will find its own level eventually and settle down. To fill the gearbox I use a syringe and a short length of rubber hose that is a good fit in the filler hole and suck up the lube, poke it in the hole and make sure it is a snug, fit then pump it in.

You will have a great time doing this.

Happy Lubing,

Boo.

Many Thanks Boo.

I will make an effort and try to get the correct bolt which has the grease nipple.

Regards

Edward

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans