Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1931 Model 20 speedo mount

Forums

Hi All,

Does anyone have an illustration of the speedo mounting plate used on the 1931 Model 20 ? And possibly how it fits the front forks?

Thanks,

Albert

I've just had a look at the spares book for 1931 and there's no mention of a speedo. It was probably an optional extra at the time. Maybe a Smiths catalogue (if you could find one) would help?

I believe that speedos were not fitted as standard in 1931. They became an "optional extra" in the mid thirties and not until the late thirties did they become a standard fitment. George

A quick addendum to my last post. Just noticed in one of my handbooks that Speedos became law on 1 October 1937. Prior to that it was optional. Mind you, it also says of the Smiths Speedo "Its needle is rock steady" Really??? George

My 31 model 20 left the factory with Lights,speedo and the dash pod that contained the Ammeter & light switch..That sat in the middle of the forks ahead of the steering damper..so where did the speedo fit ?

One period photo shows it just above the RH fork adjustment damper Weird place to have it.

On my 1937 16H, the top pair of grease nipples on the forks have larger thread sizes than all the others. Apparently to make them strong enough to carry the speedo bracket as shown on Ian's post (although mine has the tank panel).

Do your earlier forks also have larger threads at the same place? If so, there's no other obvious reason for them other than to provide for mounting the optional speedo.

Whether the original grease nipples have long enough threads to do the job, I've obviously no idea.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans