Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1929 Norton 16H 3 brush dynamo not charging.

Forums

Hi All,

No matter what I do I can't get the 3 brush dynamo on my 1929 16 H Norton to charge. The wiring loom is fine and I can see sparks when I press the cutout points and release them. I was wondering if it was easy to change the existing unit to a 2 brush system, if this was difficult to carry out and how to do it?

Many thanks,

Albert Pisani

Malta

The three brush system is poor, the charge rate is adjusted by a couple points. When riding along the rider is to judge the charge rate by observing the ammeter and then operate the light/charge switch. Also between winter and summer the charge rate could be altered by moving the third brush position on the dynamo.

It has long been advocated that the third brush in the dynamo is removed and the dynamo reconected as a two brush. Then you fit a traditional type regualtor for two brush which could be electronic. My web site A O SERVICES.CO.UK  tells you how to reconnect your dynamo as a two brush, in rediness for our electronic regulator. But the two brush connection inside the Lucas dynamo is the same for what ever Lucas type connection regulator you choose.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans