Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Which type of magneto on 1956 ES2?

Forums

Good evening everybody

I would like to ask if anybody knows which model/type of magneto a 1956 ES2 is supplied with.

I have attached a blurry image of the one on my machine.

Attachments wp_20170918_09_21_43_pro-jpg

As far as I know it's a MO1L with the ht on the side nearest the barrel. The casing on the one in the photo looks cracked?

All the best

dan

Hi Dan

Thanks for a quick reply. Yes the casing has a hairline crack which I'll inspect tomorrow. I'm looking to buy a thorspark kit for the bike as the mag internals look very sad (the former owner stored the bike outside).

Have a nice evening

Niels

Previously niels_svane wrote:

Good evening everybody

I would like to ask if anybody knows which model/type of magneto a 1956 ES2 is supplied with.

I have attached a blurry image of the one on my machine.

Hi Niels,The correct mag for your bike is a Lucas M01 magdyno anti clockwise rotation at the drive end,Your photo shows the advance/retard cable to be slack cable advance.In my experience I think a reconditioned magneto(done properly) is better than any electronic one.Thanks Paul Wolf NOC Mag tec

If the caseing is cracked, the mag would probably not be accepted in part exchange, a replacement would probably cost well over the 300 pounds Dan mentions. Regarding Thorspark, I fitted one to my Dominator several years ago, it is "Fit, and forget". An excellent product. One factor to consider is time scale. Do you want the bike up, and running, quickly, or, is it a leasurely restoration? A Thorspark kit will arrive in less than a week, and, at the most, take a day to fit. Having a mag reconditioned could take months.

It is a "lets get the thing up and running in the next two weeks" project while I'm waiting for the Model 18 to get it's registration papers (a long wait here in Denmark).

The magneto can be reconditioned by an "expert" both quick and relatively cheap here in DK, but as John Shorter states, the fit and forget aspect in this case overrules the originality aspect.

It is already fitted with Hagon rear shocks (more loss of originality) so it will be a daily driver while the 18 will be kept mostly original.

Both the original Amal 376 and a later fitted similar 376 are in so poorly a shape so a new 376 has been ordered.

A new pirelli tire will be fitted in front along with a Dunlop K70 in the back. New tubes and bands are of course a must.

Then the oil reservoir and gearbox will be flushed and new Morris oil put in.

A new 6V battery came with the bike, and is now filled with acid and awaiting a charge.

New grips will be purchased today along with:

- Lead replacement additive.

- Chain grease/oil

- A new numberplate fixture

- Ethanol safe hoses

- Proper imperial tools

- Front chain case rubber gasket

Thus hopefully it's up and running for some drives in October.

Hi Niels,

As Paul mentioned, The correct mag for your bike is a Lucas M01 magdyno anti clockwise rotation as viewed from the drive end (not the points end).

A properly built magneto is more reliable than the electronic thorospark. This is why propeller driven aircraft use magnetos not electronic (as do many race cars, including top fuel dragsters).

The maintenance on a rebuilt mag is tiny, check the spark gap once in a blue moon, thats it. The magneto des not require a battery, the thorospark unit will not work without a battery, or if the battery is too low on volts.

I have converted more than one thorospark back to original due to unhappy owners.

M01 bodies are easy to come by, I have over 20, if you cant find one locally, I will send you one for free, but youd have to pay postage from the USA, but I am sure your magneto rebuilder will have a few.

All the best,

Skip Brolund

Hi Skip

Thanks for the reply and nice offer. I'll contact you if a second hand magneto is necessary. It seems like bit of a religion question regarding these subjects. I'll get it up and running and then we'll see what the future brings.

I recently bought a completely recon mag For my model 50 from Netley autojumble off the shelf for £300. I cant remember the guy's name but they are one of the reputable mag reconditioners, I'm currently on holiday in Greece and don't have the receipt to hand. But anyway there's no need to wait weeks if you want a mag!

No we also have a firm here, that have recond. mags on the shelf which they exchange with your old, so it shouldn't take many weeks.

The question that you have to ask yourself with any battery powered ignition replacing a magneto is whether you feel more inclined to trust a Lucas magneto or a Lucas dynamo (even one with a nice modern regulator), added to which batteries can fail and lights can be left on.

I know what I think...

Previously richard_payne wrote:

The question that you have to ask yourself with any battery powered ignition replacing a magneto is whether you feel more inclined to trust a Lucas magneto or a Lucas dynamo (even one with a nice modern regulator), added to which batteries can fail and lights can be left on.

I know what I think...

Light aircraft still use magneto ignition for reliability, if you use a modernglass fibrebattery, with led bulbs where possible, you have the best of both worlds. I've been let down more by solid state 'fit n forget' electronics than magdyno's that's a fact!

The decision is all yours.....good luck

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans