Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Valve clearances on a part 650SS

Forums

I have a 1964 650ss engine with a 99SS cylinder head on single carb.

The bike runs well except there is a lot of noise coming from the top end.

The noise is worse when accelerating from low revs.

However, I should like to eliminate tappet noise by setting the clearances. Can't remember what they are at the moment but can anyone suggest clearances for this set up? I'm thinking the noise is coming from the inlet side but I could be wrong?

Very many thanks gents. I will report back when I eventually take the motor down, hopefully during this Summer.

Thanks for the e-mail, Phil.

Hi again folks, I dug this one back out early because there is much in common with the 57 on rocker spindle thread.

I'm just about ready to get started. First job will be to drain the sump and replace the oil. Then tank off and rocker covers off. I use a small tank tied to the handlebars. Start the engine and check for oil going to the rockers and of course obvious noise.

Might have to keep going till we get to the bottom of it quite literally. I'm using this opportunity to replace the gearbox too, with a rebuilt one that has got the superblend layshaftbearing.

I'll keep you posted as promised. Thanks for all the tips above, all digested and being considered.

I had a problem with my supercharged Austin Healey Rally car, Heavy knocking, Took the head and sump off several times, I decided to drive it till it went bang ,But the noise was too embarrasing,eventually found the crank was in two pieces !, But it would not give up.Should have kept it.

Well I don't intend to give up on this machine, even if the prognosis is not good!

I drained all the oil from the sump, despite the low miles it had turned black overthe two years standing. I wonder if I can put anything down to the Active8 I was advised to try, to cure the noise? The engine filter (Bottom of cases) showed no real debris.

Just out of curiosity I rubbed my finger around the inside of the oil tank, now I know that it had been wet sumpedfor over a year but I was not expecting to find small particles of rust like grit!

The tank had to come off of course and degreased. After a good wipe out I was far from happy and so the tank is currently sealed up, filled with soda crystals mixed with water, a lump of iron with a battery charger connected. See what that does 24 hrs later? The tank was fine when I put it on and I can only imagine two things:

1) the cases were bead blasted and not cleaned out? (I bought the engine rebuilt)

2) Something in the engine broke up and sent debris into the return (Unfortunately some should have gone to the rockers or maybe it blocked the rocker feed and hence the noise?

As promised, I'll keep you posted.

I used Active 8 in two of my Nortons.......never again! Both being in good working order beforehand and damaged afterwards. The first, an Atlas had a large chunk of the foot of a camshaft follower break off and wedge against the camshaft. The other bike was also an Atlas. In this case a piston split down its side after 22,000 miles of general use and no added oil enhancer.

However, I have used Slick 50 in a few engines and would give this the thumbs up. Having twice arrived home, after a long ride, to later find next to zero oil in the tank.

Thanks Phil, I have now taken the plugs out and alarmed at the R/H plug hole, which was full of oil. wasn't like that 50 miles before!

I agree with you, no more Active8, a lesson well learned.

Time to unplug that oil tank..........

Previously Neil Wyatt wrote:

Thanks Phil, I have now taken the plugs out and alarmed at the R/H plug hole, which was full of oil. wasn't like that 50 miles before!

I agree with you, no more Active8, a lesson well learned.

Time to unplug that oil tank..........

Hello Now i got the same nosies as you on my 650 changed oil and oil pump sill some strange nosies I have looked at ever thing I can think of , and think its pre detanation , or pinking dew to this ethernol fuel I use 95-ron no fuel addative , along time ago I tryed out Molyslip it seemed to work well, but its expensive, now, so I let you all know later on has soon has I get a real chance too have another look at my bike, not riden from some time now , been too busy working else were, yours anna j

Anna, it's not that, 100%. You should know that I only use BP Ultimate, even in my more modern car. Why anyone would want to put a solvent in their tank, known to attack the fuel system is beyond me. And a lower MPG if the damage wasn't enough.

Anyway, my oil tank is back on with rust and debris removed and the filter washed out in BP Ultimate. (What a waste) Just a word of warning if you are going to clean a tank out with the soda crystals / water and electricity method. You need a fairly old and strong battery charger. The newer ones don't seem to work for this and the small motorcycle trickle chargers overload and melt.

I have half filled the tank with Golden Film and with the plugs out spent about 10 minutes kicking it over before I ran out of puff. Another 5 or 10 minutes should have the oil back round to the tank.

Of course I forgot the filter in the oil pressure dome, should have thought of that before I put the oil in, another job to do.

After all that it will be off with the rocker covers and start up, listening for the gremlins. I'll let you know what is found. Be a miracle if all is quiet now!

Oil circulating, rocker caps off, plugs back in and start up time.

Oil getting to the rockers after finger on the return pipe. Oil in the R/H spark plug hole was down to a leak in the right exhaust rocker spindle cover, will need to fix.

The rattles got worse as the engine warmed up but found that some of it was the exhaust locking tabs rattling about. Probably be a bit quieter still with the rocker covers back on. Will check the tappets first. The 2-1 exhaust will create a bit more noise too.

The bike suffered the classic big end on the way out symptoms previously when under load but I reckon that with some gentle riding with fresh oil, it should add to the 132 miles completed so far without anymore than a bigger rumble before the motor needs to come apart.

I'll keep you posted...

When my big ends went a few years ago the symptoms were:firstly I was finding it suspiciously difficult to identify top dead centre by placing a finger tip on the piston head. That is - the crank rotation between piston definitely going up and then going down felt too much.The second was unmistakable. On a long straight at about 75mph a "death rattle" suddenly started up - audible over all the wind noise etc and sounding like a mad woodpecker was at work inside the engine.I got home by riding gently but the noise started again as soon as the engine was revved up.Piston slap is more of a clanking clatter, especially when motor is still cold.Hope that's of some help.David

Thanks David, I did the rod knock test by finding TDC and then just starting the down stroke put a screwdriver in the plug hole. Press down and listen and feel for downward movement in the piston. If it falls there is play in the shells. I couldn't detect anything. That doesn't mean there isn't a problem in this area, just that I couldn't detect one. The noise, a bit like yours though is there and I wish it would go away.Maybe not so loud....

I'm interested to know what you found with your engine on stripdown and how far you rode it or could have ridden it before grinding to a halt.

I plan a 120 mile gentle ride in the next week.

In my case not far (maybe 20 miles or so back home) but too far and i had a regrind.are you sure the pushrods are correctly seated? It can work with clatter if one is not (dont ask how I found that out but one became bent as a result) Whenever I encounter a Dommie I always have a good listen to find out if is as clattery as mine. Someare and some are not.RegardsDavid

I don't think it is pushrods, David. The head was off when I bought the engine. The head is not 650ss, which always complicates things but my money now is on cam followers. That being the case, the engine can rattle for thousands of miles. (I think)

On Tuesday I did my annual ride to Whitby, well just South of there actually. Return mileage was 108 and MPG was a disappointing 49.

A few checks before I set off, the plugs were slightly sooty but revealeda nice golden brown colourwitha touch of tissue. I put this down to idlingto empty the single carb at the end of a run, rather than my granddad's old trick of turning off the fuel 1/4 mile from home.

I pumped up the tyres and checked the oil levels. I over filled the oil tank (Morris 20-50) and by Pickering for my first BP Ultimate fuel stop found oil all over my back tyre. Silly bugger! I checked the primary oil and 1/3rd pint came out with the bike on the centre stand! I checked it after the 108 mile run the next day and got about 20 drips out so the problem is negligible. The 1/3rd pint will have accumulated while the bike was stood for two years. (Wet sumped )However, this has led to the clutch plates being contaminated with mostly SAE40, used before the 20-50. Kicking the bike over has become progressively more difficult with slip on the kick starter and yet surprisingly no slip with the drive and smooth gear changes. Incidentally, I checked the EP90level in the gearbox and that was at the correct level, so it is mostly engine oil from the crank seal and not gear oil. I'm going to take the primary case off to release the oil and run it dry until I lay up the bike in 5 or 6 weeks.

On the run it took 10 minutes or more to set off (Due to the kick start slipping) and riding along at 40 mph was awful, don't get me wrong, this motor is smooth all the way through but the rattle is like a labouring engine. I don't think the 20Tgearbox sprocket helps. Onto the A64 duel carriageway, going along between 55 & 65 mph without load on the engine, in other words getting up to speed and then backing off slightly just to maintain speed and it was a different bike, the rattle all but gone. After my first fuel stop before heading out over the NY Moors I put on my neck warmer and pulled the top over my ears. These things are really great, once I got over 50 mph you wouldn't know there was an issue! There are about 5 very steep gradients on this run the bike took in its stride but might have had an effect on fuel economy, plus I tried to keep the bike out of the lower revs rattle zone.

No more starting issues through a slipping kick start until the next day. Soon after arriving home I had to wash down the rear of the bike but I think the oil is about normal max now and I don't believe the engine is using any oil (Save a slight leak at the crank) and the oil appears to have stayed clean.

250 miles on the clock now and the rattle is no worse but I'll keep you posted. Should be much better with these clutch plates clean too.

Hi Niel, My 99 is back in the workshop, its been to the IOM where my son used it for a week of touring and chasing the Atlas and Ducati.Similar issues to your bike, Slightly slippy clutch cured by an extra turn on the springs,a rattle when extra hot (the big ends are just about at the end of their life) and some scraping noise from the transmission ,I was going to use it for a blast round Lydden, but that would have been risky .Your knock could also be that someone has fitted rollers to both sides of the crank without adding shims to control the end float.

Thanks Robert, actually the main bearings were replaced before I bought the enjine and I was given the old ones as there was nothing wrong with them. I'll keep this in mind but once I have sorted the clutch I feel this will be a good runner for some time to come.

The clutch is sorted, with no drive at all now and no time to strip it I decided to try a quick fix. With all the oil cleaned up I pulled in the clutch lever and sprayed in Millers Brake and Clutch cleaner between the slots. I also tightened up the clutch springs by half a turn each. Finally I sprayed the primary chain with WD 40 chain wax. I just hope the clutch cleaner did not find its way to the rollers?

At last I had good drive, the engine started second kick. This arrangement will do for the next 5 or 6 weeks, until I lay it up till Spring, when I can put some SAE 20 in the case.

Once you get past 50 mph this is a fantastic bike to ride. I'd be on my restored 99 but after a month, I'm still waiting for the DVLA. Before the local DVLAoffice was closed, all of this was a simple appointment with the bike in the back of a van and job done.

Any issues with the 650 and I'll let you know, till then, let the rattle continue, it's not getting any worse after all!

Hi Neil, I would not run a 650 without oil in the primary, the oil is needed to cool the chain and lube the drum roller race, i am using ATF in the Atlas which is supposed to be clutch friendly, yes it leaks a bit (which always looks worse than it is!). I'd be more concerned about the roller track on the clutch drum wearing .Not all ATF's are suitable.

OK Robert, you win. Now I have put the primary cover and footrests back, Ill put some SAE 20 in tomorrow. Actually I use ATF in my Commando primary but I prefer 20 in the earlier machines. ( Even 30) Regarding the 1/3rdpint of engine oil (mostly 40) in the primary case, I'm thinking that after standing for two years with a wet sump that this might be par for the course, rather than a crank shaft oil seal failure? Any ideas?

I forgot to mention that there was a fair bit of emulsificationin the oil tank after my 108 mile run, but I put most of that down to the breather that feeds into the top of the oil tank, no big deal I don't think. Some put this down to valve guides though!....

The knock and rattle goes on.

OK Robert, you win. Now I have put the primary cover and footrests back, Ill put some SAE 20 in tomorrow. Actually I use ATF in my Commando primary but I prefer 20 in the earlier machines. ( Even 30) Regarding the 1/3rdpint of engine oil (mostly 40) in the primary case, I'm thinking that after standing for two years with a wet sump that this might be par for the course, rather than a crank shaft oil seal failure? Any ideas?

I forgot to mention that there was a fair bit of emulsificationin the oil tank after my 108 mile run, but I put most of that down to the breather that feeds into the top of the oil tank, no big deal I don't think. Some put this down to valve guides though!....

The knock and rattle goes on.

HELLO now you Should All know this by now You Should NEVER use ATF oil IT makes a nice mess of your clutch centre rubbers, USE Lucas Primary Chain oil , a speical oil that cools and does not let the clutch slip, and what this got to do with valve tapet clearances 6 and 8 thou for a 650cc machine

Funny you should mention that Neil, I never had emulsification in the tank untill I modified the rocker feed , I plumbed the breather into the tank a few years ago as i was fed up with oily tire.I will be fitting an extra breather to the inlet cover soon. Something similar to the one fitted to the Manxman (anyone heard of this model?). If the motor had stood for a long time wet sumped I would expect some oil to find its way into the primary.

Previously robert_tuck wrote:

Funny you should mention that Neil, I never had emulsification in the tank untill I modified the rocker feed , I plumbed the breather into the tank a few years ago as i was fed up with oily tire.I will be fitting an extra breather to the inlet cover soon. Something similar to the one fitted to the Manxman (anyone heard of this model?). If the motor had stood for a long time wet sumped I would expect some oil to find its way into the primary.

Hello yes I own one , the breather for the inlet cover its a bit special its banjo union and has a longer stud so it the domed nut fits over the top with two felt washers and it works well too let the engine breath better, my one it Te -ed into the bearth pipe from the crankcase from the camshaft breather, it all then gose into a dump tank I fitted inbetween the main oil tank and Battery box is then breaths into the oil feed for the rear chain drip feed has the chain guard has a oil feed fitting the dump tank only ever get half full has it get blowen out on to the rear chain via the drip feed fitting on the chain guard, works nice, the only thing is you get a small puddel of oil near the rear of the primary chain case its oil dripping of the rear chain guard , but this only happends when the bike been stud for some time, the other small leak I had was coming from the kickstart shaft, now fixed, new oil seal fitted , have fun yours anna j

First point to Anna is that although this thread is about valve clearances and rattles there are other issues along the way and best kept under one roof, same bike different issue and the rattle continues.

The clutch played up again, slipping when turning over with the 20 SAE oil in the cases. Turned out that the push rod needed adjusting half a turn. Next time the outer case comes off I'll slacken those springs half a turn each to make the clutch lighter and to give the cable an easier time.

The tappets were adjusted from 8 & 6 thou to 6 & 4, (Remember, not a 650SS head) this made a slight improvement but there is still a distinctive clanking going on. I doubt the issue will be end float, though easy to check with the timing cover off. With the head and barrels off the big ends and cam followers can be considered as culprits.

Apart from the noise at lower revs, the heavy clutch and weep from the kick startshaft I may as well enjoy the bike and bit by bit get to the bottom of it. (Hopefully not the bottom of the engine)

My main focus now is the pre F/bed Model 50. Watch that space!

I will close this thread when I can tell you what was causing the clunking in the engine. Unless the kind Webmaster beats me to it?

PS: Back on the road with 132 miles on the Smiths Chrono a couple of months back, now 312 miles and clunking away and a real smooth joy at over 50 mph.

well you will have clunking strip down your engine and find this Clucking Problem . like my bike started clunking too it maybe catching on , its a winter job for me, and finish the 54 domi 88 too !!,So do have some Clunking Fun with your spanners , yours Anna J

My latest rebuilt is an early 650 Manxman engine just in case I had not mentioned this point to anyone before. Plus my bike has a RED tank. During the first few hundred miles of running in it rattled, clicked, clunked and whined.

The clicking was mostly due to the generous valve clearances I set just in case the 10 to 1 pistons were a bit too close to the head. This was sorted during a recent top end service.

The rattles were due to the camshaft followers being a little loose in their tunnels. Nothing worth fixing here.

The whine was the cheap superblend bearing I fitted plus some noise from the timing chains. My neighbour's dog whines much more.

The clunking turned out to be the 'home made' 650 pistons bouncing off the top of the crankshaft webs. Some serious grinding sorted that problem although there is still a little piston slap when the engine warms up.

So, Manxmen knock as well! Loose cam followers is my favourite now but interesting comments, Phil.If that's all it is then they won't do any harm.

Do let me know what you find, Anna, during your winter rebuild. Mine will have to wait until after the long overdue pre f/bed Model 50.

So, Manxmen knock as well! Loose cam followers is my favourite now but interesting comments, Phil.If that's all it is then they won't do any harm.

Do let me know what you find, Anna, during your winter rebuild. Mine will have to wait until after the long overdue pre f/bed Model 50.

Hello Neil Well Now I have a new Computer and My mothers Got me a laptop to bless her, I can now down load photos So when I get too doing it I will take lots for you all too see , but right now I am Not too well, I got some kind of water infection witch is infecting the rest of me too , just trying too shake it off but at 62 it gets harder too do, and living on ones own dose not help matters, but chin up and keep going , were not dead yet by a long way, you ways look on the bright side of life!! have fun you guys yours anna j

Hello You can keep on a Knocking but you aren't going to come out !! where my guitar we sing a song about It !! rock and roll Baby Yours Anna J

Hope your water works get better soon, Anna.

Meanwhile, you hum it and I'll play it. Knock on!

This is catching,My 99 has developed noises ,a scraping rattle from the transmision and clicking from the motor. I have cleaned and Linklifed (yes still use it!) the rear chain which made a big difference ,I think the clicking is down to a loose pushrod end,a spare is ready to go,just need motivation.Gearbox contents all over the floor at present.

A top end click is often a pushrod problem but might also be a rocker shaft end moving up and down in its housing. Cheap rear chains (including Reynolds) develop side play and this allows them to rub on the inside of the chainguard. The clutch body catching on the inner chaincase can also make a similar noise.

Hope your water works get better soon, Anna.

Meanwhile, you hum it and I'll play it. Knock on!

yes Neil Rock and roll !!!

I posted this sound file on another very related thread so you have something to compare with.

Now 374 miles on the clock and the noise no worse, a slight improvement when the tappet clearences were reduced from 8 & 6 to 6 & 4. Remember this is an earlier or non 650 head. (Single 30mm Amal)

Fuel consumption is currently poor with 49 mpg on a run and 43 mpg with local running. Not very good when I can get 68 on my 850 Commando!

I run a 20T gearbox sprocket and the noise is worse in top gear @ 40 mph. 50 on it is much better until you can't hear it, yes the wind will soak up most of the racket but the bike goes really well, especially at higher speeds. Perhaps partly why the MPG is poor, even with a single Amal?

Once I finally get my 99 registered for the road I'll send a sound file on that. It also runs on Morris 20/50 and the sweetest Norton twin you ever did hear. However, I'll try going back to the SAE 40 in the 650 as suggested but Charles isn't going to like it! (I have plenty as I use straight 40 in my singles)

Attachments norton-mp3

I don't think I ever posted a picture. Exahaust is 2-1 I happened to have handy. While it's going well, despite the noise and poor fuel consumption I need to work on I may as well keep it going while busy with a pre F/bed!

Attachments 650ss-jpg

The rattles were due to the camshaft followers being a little loose in their tunnels. Nothing worth fixing here.

It is worth chrome plating these to take up a couple of thou?

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans