Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Valve clearances on a part 650SS

Forums

I have a 1964 650ss engine with a 99SS cylinder head on single carb.

The bike runs well except there is a lot of noise coming from the top end.

The noise is worse when accelerating from low revs.

However, I should like to eliminate tappet noise by setting the clearances. Can't remember what they are at the moment but can anyone suggest clearances for this set up? I'm thinking the noise is coming from the inlet side but I could be wrong?

Previously neil_wyatt wrote:

However, I should like to eliminate tappet noise by setting the clearances. Can't remember what they are at the moment but can anyone suggest clearances for this set up? I'm thinking the noise is coming from the inlet side but I could be wrong?

Since this is a "non-standard" set up, it will be a question of "trial and error". Probably a good starting point would be 6 thou. inlet, & 8 exhaust.

Assuming the cam is standard SS, .006 in and .008 exhaust is correct. Even if it's an earlier cam, these clearances won't do any harm. Noise under acceleration from low revs is unlikely to be down to valve clearances. Piston slap is a possibility, as is big end play. Gordon.

Thanks Gents,

Checked the clearances as you both suggest and the inlets were spot on but the left exhaust was 3 tho too wide and the right about 1wide.

This has made things a but more quiet but there is still a bit of knocking up there. The bike is on STD bore and althoughthey measured up OK I think piton slap seems the most likely. Apart from the top end knocking noise all seems well. I'll just run it until it either stops or we discover the problem. Many thanks again.

If there is 41/2 to 5thou clearance then piston slap is likely to be audible but i would not be concerned.

just a suggestion, check the type of rocker spindles fitted, if the non scrolled type ensure that the flats are all facing inwards, otherwise the oil feed is restricted and will cause wear and noise!! Terry

Previously terry_odlin wrote:

just a suggestion, check the type of rocker spindles fitted, if the non scrolled type ensure that the flats are all facing inwards, otherwise the oil feed is restricted and will cause wear and noise!! Terry

Thank you to everyone. Will check the spindles as I can't remember the type fitted.

And if the spindles have been out, make sure the thackeray washers are in the correct position (on the inside) otherwise you can get a fair bit of clattering from the top end. Gordon.

Thanks Terry and Gordon,

No issues with the Thackeray washers but will make sure all rocker spindles are the scrolled type to be safe.

Hi Neil, it may not be quite that simple, regarding scrolled rocker spindles, unless you know the bike's history. A previous owner may have fitted a high pressure oil pump, in which case scrolled rockers will feed too much oil into the rocker boxes. In my case, with a 54 Dommi, someone had fitted alloy pushrods. These expand with heat, and reduce valve clearance to less than zero, if clearances are set "by the book". Until Phil Hannam pointed this out, my engine was over-heating, and losing compression, after 20-30 miles.

Thanks John, I bought the engine complete and rebuilt, though the head (99SS) was off. I bought new pushrods from RGM, along with a Boyer ignition.

A bit more to investigate.

hello right before doing anything select you self a nice longish screwdriver with a good round handle . next start your machine set on fast tick over. next get your nice screwdriver in one hand put the handle to your hear were you think the most noise is coming from then put the screw drive tip end there a listen for the tapping noises or other noises. then by elimination one by one you get to know what its is, thats giving you the noise . it maybe a small end bearing as that sound like tappets noises , and with acceleration get a worse noise it also could be a inlet rock spindle movement letting the pushrods hit

each other at there cup ends . you have to find out, your anna j

Thanks Anna, I'll get my best screwdriver in the job. When I find what the problem is I'll be sure to post it on this thread. One thing for certain is that something isn't right.

DON'T use a screwdriver, or anything metal, the vibration may cause scratching. A length of doweling, or an old broom-handle, is very effective. You wouldn't want to scratch those polished rocker covers would you?!

As my name has alreadybeen mentioned, I will happily add a little more to this thread. Top end noises can be from a variety of sources. On my 99 it was the valves bouncing off the pistons due to Ethanol gumming up the stems and causing them to partially stick open. The suggestions of piston slap, small end and big end wear are also all possible causes.

However, my money is going on some play in the rockers or the pushrods fighting each other for space in their tunnels. Some more info on the lubrication of the top end would be helpful. Is it a decent pressure fed set-up (from the back of the timing cover)or the old style return line feed? Also, is the head a real 99SS or an earlier modified job. The single carb set-up is ringing an alarm here. Can we have a photo please? Are the barrels proper 650 or modified from 99stock.

One of the problems of buyingreplacement engines is making certain that the all the bits are correct. The early heads with scrolled rocker spindles were fine for the 30bhp they were asked to cope with. The later 650 and 99SS had heftier valve springs which will over-load scrolled spindles to the point where they act like drill bits and cut away metal in the rockers. Hence the need for plain spindles and a pressure feed in these engines.

A pressure feed is wasted if the rocker spindles are still the scrolled kind. Also it is not a good idea to just fit plain spindles in rockers that previously had old style scrolled spindles. There will probably be lots of play and consequently top end noise.

Thanks John and Phil,

I'm using the stainless braded RGM rocker feedpipes taken off the return. The head is a 60's model and it was suggested that it was a Dommie 99SS by Norvil when I had to order a carb manifold, itis slightly bigger than the std 99 job. (Running single 30mm Mk 1)

We are going to look at the rocker spindles and thanks for reaffirming that point. Will report back and also send some pictures.

I was also fortunate to see Dale Middlehurst this morning at an Autojumble. I told him of the problem. He said that there is very little clearence in Dommie heads. What to do is to set the clearences to 3 and 2 thou start up and listen for the noise. If the noise has gone it will almost certainly be the rockers hitting the head. Need to be ground down a bit and reset to 6 & 8 thou. Lots to go on all thanks to you fellow NOCers. I'll be back.

To have a look at some pictures, please google 'Neil's Norton Notes.'I believe the barrels are genuine 650SS and I don't use petrol contaminated with ethanol. (BP Ultimate) However, the way things are going there may be no choice next year. As said, the head has a slightlybigger inlet manifold than the standard 1960 99.Hopefully will do the next checks within the week.

Thanks John and Phil,

I'm using the stainless braded RGM rocker feedpipes taken off the return. The head is a 60's model and it was suggested that it was a Dommie 99SS by Norvil when I had to order a carb manifold, itis slightly bigger than the std 99 job. (Running single 30mm Mk 1)

We are going to look at the rocker spindles and thanks for reaffirming that point. Will report back and also send some pictures.

I was also fortunate to see Dale Middlehurst this morning at an Autojumble. I told him of the problem. He said that there is very little clearence in Dommie heads. What to do is to set the clearences to 3 and 2 thou start up and listen for the noise. If the noise has gone it will almost certainly be the rockers hitting the head. Need to be ground down a bit and reset to 6 & 8 thou. Lots to go on all thanks to you fellow NOCers. I'll be back.

hello that carburetor its a bit on the big side for a 99 . you need a 28mm carb and its not just the rocker arms it could be the spindles moving in the holes letting the push rods catch on there tops.

Previously anna jeannette Dixon wrote:

Thanks John and Phil,

hello that carburetor its a bit on the big side for a 99 . you need a 28mm carb and its not just the rocker arms it could be the spindles moving in the holes letting the push rods catch on there tops.

Thanks for the spindle tip Anna. The 30mm carb is on the 650, the 99 I'm working on will have a smaller carb, a monobloc for originality.

The rocker spindles were checked and the two on the drive side found to be in the wrong way, the twolocators on the inside covers were found to be worn down too on two caps, so these were replaced.

This has helped but there is still a lot of knocking when the engine is under load but it appears to stop when you turn the throttle all the way off. Quieter now though on start up and tick over.

This is a low pressure oil system and the rocker spindles have scrolles in them so I guess that is OK. I'll just have to keep running it. Clearences are6 thou & 8 thou for the inlet.

Will keep you posted and thanks for all the tips.

The rocker spindles were checked and the two on the drive side found to be in the wrong way, the twolocators on the inside covers were found to be worn down too on two caps, so these were replaced.

This has helped but there is still a lot of knocking when the engine is under load but it appears to stop when you turn the throttle all the way off. Quieter now though on start up and tick over.

This is a low pressure oil system and the rocker spindles have scrolles in them so I guess that is OK. I'll just have to keep running it. Clearences are6 thou & 8 thou for the inlet.

Will keep you posted and thanks for all the tips.

Neil,

Just read your original post where you report that the noise is worse when accelarting and from what you have written above I am sorry to make things appear worse but knocking on load is usually bottom ends. I would start the engine select first hold the front brake on slowly let out the clutch while givng it a few revs just above tick over, listen for noise, you may be able to tell where the knocking is coming from, but if knocking on load you should suspect bottom ends, Try dropping the sump plug and looking for white metall in the filter.

Tony

Thanks Robert and Tony,

The motor was rebuilt when I got it but not with the cylinder head on. I agree it depends much on who built the engine but I even have the serviceable main bearings that were replaced.

Normally, you would expect a rumble way down if the bottom end was suspect and the noise is up top, However, the noise is under load that generally is bottom end symptoms! Interesting.

The pushrods I'm using are meant for a 1964 650SS and I just wonder if with a pre 650 head if the pushrods are the wrong length, that might make sense.

Either way, it looks like a head off job now and perhaps worse?

Actually Tony, the knocking is not just on accelerating but at cruising too and only goes when you close the throttle. When you rev the engine on the stand the knocking all appears to be at the top, not the bottom as you might think. I also suspected little ends.

With the cost of wrecked parts i would not run the motor. Some faults are hard to spot,a rod through the cases will make all clear!..

It does sound worryingly like a big end on the way out. The noise from a failing big end will be transmitted through the con rod to the top end, just to confuse. What was the standard of the bottom end rebuild? Was the crankshaft sludge trap cleaned out? Gordon.

Neil,

Knocking on load usually bottom ends, rattling on overrun usually top ends and rumbling is main bearings.

I would remove the primary chain case so you can get a spanner on the nut on the end of the crankshaft, remove the head, check piston crowns for signs of contact with the valves, if ok turn the engine in its normal direction of rotation while pressing dowm on each piston with your other hand, if a bottom end is away you might just feel it. Also check the sump plug filter for white metal.

Good luck

Tony

Neil,

I think you were correct with your first diagnosis. If it's knocking noise from the top end under load then I would suggest piston slap due to incorrect bore to piston clearance. An indication could be that the noise is quieter with a hot engine. The only real way to find out is strip the engine from the top end down checking dimensions as you go. An accurate bore gauge is required to check bore dimensions and ovality and micrometer for the piston dimensions,

Simon.

Thanks for this Simon, looks like it will have to be taken down, although I would love to hear if anyone who might suggest adifferent push rod length?

I will need to try out that bottom end test too, though even reving it on the stand, that part of the engine is quiet and it does run very smooth. Just this dam knocking!!!

I went out for a 16 mile run, long enough on a warm evening I would have thought and the knocking was just the same all the way home.

My problem is that with using an earlier cylinder head (But with the correct size inlet) are we missing something. Push rod length comes to mind. Have you seen the price of a 650SS head?

I only have my Mk3 Commando to compare this with and no knocking. There is less knocking on my 16H on standard bore!

Thanks Robert and Gordon too. (Just seen these)

Before the head went on, the bore looked good and measured up to STD bore, as were the pistons.

Head off might reveal some damage (Hope not) but might have to wait a while. I will of course let you know the results for the record when we get around to taking it apart. (Not good to have too many jobs on at the same time I learned a long time ago)

Alright Neil,

One check to gauge correct push rod length is to smear engineers blue on the valve tips, obviously after degreasing. Turn the engine over by hand a couple of revs and you can see where the rocker is contacting the valve where it has rubbed the blue away. The mark should be central. If it's pushrod side of valve stem centre then the rod is too long. If it's past the centre then rod is too short. I altered pushrod lengths on my Mk3 to get the rockers striking the valves dead centre. A change of 0.010" in pushrod length can make a significant difference. If the mark is left or right of centre then rockers need aligning by spacing between rocker and cyl. head,

Simon.

Thanks everyone to date. I have a 99 restoration on the go at the moment so I decided to put the 650 on hold, before the motor comes apart. I am concerned thatthe problem could be bottom end trouble, even though the noise is coming from the top.

Before I put the 650 away ,I emptied the sump and cleaned out the filter and plug in some thinners. I have to say that everything that came out looked clean, including the oil that had wet sumped. (Today)

There are 101 miles on the clock now and around 40miles on since I last emptied the sump tolook for particles. Just how long can you run with a shot bottom end?

I will check out Simon's push rod suggestion if any damage isfoundin the top end.However, as you know, 600 and 650 push rods are the same length.

I'll raise another question on 99 push rods while I'm at it. Thanks all......To be continued!

Thanks everyone to date. I have a 99 restoration on the go at the moment so I decided to put the 650 on hold, before the motor comes apart. I am concerned thatthe problem could be bottom end trouble, even though the noise is coming from the top.

Before I put the 650 away ,I emptied the sump and cleaned out the filter and plug in some thinners. I have to say that everything that came out looked clean, including the oil that had wet sumped. (Today)

There are 101 miles on the clock now and around 40miles on since I last emptied the sump tolook for particles. Just how long can you run with a shot bottom end?

I will check out Simon's push rod suggestion if any damage isfoundin the top end.However, as you know, 600 and 650 push rods are the same length.

I'll raise another question on 99 push rods while I'm at it. Thanks all......To be continued!

this is your push rods are hitting the in the tunnels if you have fat type Manxman push rods I say Manxman And Not 650SS as the Manxman was out first well before The 650SS The manxman's Crankcases went into the 99SS and so did the cam shaft and followers so then you should have fat type push rods but some one could of changed the barrel and Cylinder head, so now the problem is in the push rod tunnels as they could be narrow for the fat type push rod, so there lies your answer and where taking measurement in a barrel you need the all important three points in the barrel to be measured right with a bore guage or a piston ring a new one. to take the gap end measurements if you bore is more that 6.thou then a rebore

will be needed.

Anna, The 650 pushrods are the fat type. I asked for rods fora 1964 650SS. I even gave RGM the engine numer. They must be right. In desperation I might add a bit of STP to the oil and do that stick test with a running engine before it comes apart.

The thing is that I feel the noise it at the inlet top end. BUT, as you well know, the cylinder head is an open chamber and the push rod channels are at the front, so who knows? Will keep you posted.

OK folks, I rode the 650 round to a bike mate last night. Did the test with the brakes on and releasing the clutch... He said 'it sounds like big ends to me,' so that's it then. Be next year now but will update on here.

Anna, The 650 pushrods are the fat type. I asked for rods fora 1964 650SS. I even gave RGM the engine numer. They must be right. In desperation I might add a bit of STP to the oil and do that stick test with a running engine before it comes apart.

The thing is that I feel the noise it at the inlet top end. BUT, as you well know, the cylinder head is an open chamber and the push rod channels are at the front, so who knows? Will keep you posted.

hello Neil you have not read me posting right I did say that some one earlier that had owned the machine may have had to change the barrels for some reason so they maybe the early type with a narrower push rod tunnels If it was the big ends you get heavy knocking from down in the cases and you hear it as you let the clutch out as the engine is then driving hard , and you hear it as you pull away and as you slow down as well its a very audible thumping noises , a not a light tapping noises , as the push rods would give off , hope its my help yours anna j

Hello Anna, you may have a point. The pushrods are the fat type to suit the bottom end via the engine number. I guess I could try the 1960 99 narrow pushrods, but will that take it? Even if the barrels are wrong, there is zero chance of replacing them.

The knocking I would suggest is quite heavy but definitely top end. There was some bottom end noise but that was sorted by taking up some slack in the timing chain. It might be worth taking the head off but a full engine strip is out of thequestion at the moment.

What is your take on alternative pushrods?

Neil.......I have been looking at the info and pics on your VMCC web page and noticed this little chunk......As for the motor, it is on standard bore, although I had to work on the lip at the top of the stroke, the original pistons will be reused with new rings.

Possibly, as others have mentioned, the root cause of your knocking is piston slap after all. Most engineering service manuals recommend a rebore if a discernible wear ridge appears at the top of the bore.

One other though to ponder........you say that the bottom end bearings were in good condition and were re-used. But what were they?

I ask this because once I helped to strip an engine, with a knocking bottom end noise, only to discover the owner hadpreviously rebuilt this chunk using standard roller bearings on both ends of the crankshaft. With no outer race thrust lips. Consequently, each time the engine fired, the oil pump worm pushed the crankshaft sideways until the web cheek thumped the outer race. Knock! Knock!

Many thanks Phil, I have the old bearings and will look at them, but you might be onto something here too. They were changed but I was informed they were in good order.

With having two threads ongoing,things get mixed up (Why I don't want two engines apart at the same time) The 650 bores looked perfect, turning by hand to measure the displacement. There was no ridge at all at the top.(650)

The 99 is also on STD bore but that one does have a slight ridge on top. I'm taking the gamble with that one. But with the same pistons going back in, all should be well???

Because there is no ridge to see or feel on the 650 I'm ruling out piston slap but you may have a point regards the bearings. Full engine strip for that though. Thanks for looking at the pictures thatI could show.

Many thanks Phil, I have the old bearings and will look at them, but you might be onto something here too. They were changed but I was informed they were in good order.

With having two threads ongoing,things get mixed up (Why I don't want two engines apart at the same time) The 650 bores looked perfect, turning by hand to measure the displacement. There was no ridge at all at the top.(650)

The 99 is also on STD bore but that one does have a slight ridge on top. I'm taking the gamble with that one. But with the same pistons going back in, all should be well???

Because there is no ridge to see or feel on the 650 I'm ruling out piston slap but you may have a point regards the bearings. Full engine strip for that though. Thanks for looking at the pictures thatI could show.

Hello Neil a point on piston rings If You Have the Original BHB pistons then Do Not use GPM or JP piston rings on them ,only use BHB or Hepolite Piston rings , As the Radius are different on the after market rings And on the 650 they had 0.003 piston to liner tolerance as standard , and there wear up to 0.006 ,but must be cross hatch honed well , after 0.006 they must be re-bored to 0.010 over size the 650 only had as Standard three over sizes starting with 0.010+ and 0.020+ and 0.030+ over sizes Do Not bore over 0.040 over size as the top spigot get very thin and as attendency too Crack , You may Get Original Piston rings from Our Heavy Twins Specialists Dale Middelhurst phone 01422 882951 do bear in mind he as a small holding to run ,as well as his work else were, and you may have try ringing him on more than the once to get hold of him,

At some point the valve /pushrod lengths were altered to change the action,its possible you have some wrong bits in there.Piston clearance of over 41/2 thou will slap till warmed up.

Thanks Anna and Robert. I don't think there are any issues with the pistons on the 650 but the pushrod/rockers will be first to consider when the head comes off. Hopefully the problem will be found then, otherwise engine out and big ends suspected.

Thanks for the ring info Anna. I will need to give Dale a call. I bought a set of STD 99 Rings (For another bike) from RGM, these are indeed GPM, made in Italy, going into the original pistons.

With regard to AP, I bought, (again from RGM) a new AP piston complete with rings for my poor man's Manx and it goes very well in the re-sleaved bore. It is certainly quality stuff, if a bit heavier than an original ES2 piston.

Thanks Anna and Robert. I don't think there are any issues with the pistons on the 650 but the pushrod/rockers will be first to consider when the head comes off. Hopefully the problem will be found then, otherwise engine out and big ends suspected.

Thanks for the ring info Anna. I will need to give Dale a call. I bought a set of STD 99 Rings (For another bike) from RGM, these are indeed GPM, made in Italy, going into the original pistons.

With regard to AP, I bought, (again from RGM) a new AP piston complete with rings for my poor man's Manx and it goes very well in the re-sleaved bore. It is certainly quality stuff, if a bit heavier than an original ES2 piston.

hello Neil One thing more Consider weighing the pistons and rings and gudgeon pin before fitting , to see if there is any difference's

in there weights , as this affects the balance of the engine in motion , just a engineering thing , I have about Balance, and weights , and motion

Hi Anna,too right. In this case only the little end and the rings tochange, so that won't make much difference. Wish I had weighed that AP piston on the single though, could have taken some metal off it. Bit lumpy but not too bad. I'll know better next time with a non standard piston.

You never know until you try it out with balance factors. What is theoretically correct (72% or whatever) for an engine may not suit a particular complete engine/transmission/cycle parts set up. It can be very frustrating trying to get the engine as smooth as possible - and of course it depends on what rev range you use most. With a twin, what you want to avoid is unequal reciprocationg masses - i.e. the pistons and small ends should weigh the same. Of course you could just rubber mount the whole lot - a bit of an engineering cheat which would be shunned by any reputable motorcycle manufacturer... Gordon.

I agree with you Gordon that younever know till you try it but are you suggesting that BSA (Sunbeam S7& S8) and Norton were not'reputable motorcycle manufacturers?'

Hi Neil. I haven't noticed it mentioned but it might be worth checking the alternater rotor to see if the middle has come loose(the steel centre that fits onto the crankshaft) or the woodruff key fitting on the crank and into the rotor.

Good point Terry, but another issue I had was poor charging. Turned out that I was using a slightly smaller Lucasrotor. Only two sizes and I had the wrong one. Anyway, while at it I checked all that area. All secure.

Hi All,

I wasn't going to come back to this thread until after I finished the 99 restoration (google: Neil's Norton Notes)

However, last night I read Phil H's bottom comment from the Solent Branch in the latest Roadholder about 99 barrels in a 650.!!! That made me think? If when I come to take the engine down, I find that the barrels are 99, rather than 650 then what might be the damage and what needs to be done to fix it if this. Also, again, how can I easily confirm wrong barrels, other than possible damage?

Remember I bought this motor as rebuilt with just the pushrods to buy and head to put on.So it could have wrong barrels? There were no issues when turning the motor by hand, before the head went on.

Incidentally,I bought a reconditioned high pressure oil pump, unused since reconditioned by the lateJohn Hudson. I intend to use this and plain spindles as recommended previously.

To recap, it was Phil's point about 99 barrels in a 650 that got me thinking. Will be Summer before it gets taken down and the moment of truth but nice to have a bit of thinking time to prepare.

Cheers, Neil.

When I converted my 650 from a 99 ( after 30 years & 2 rebores) back to a 650 I found a nice step at the bottom of the barrel where the shorter stroke of the 99 crankshaft had not let the piston rings reach the bottom of the barrel.

As I wanted to continue using my 650 pistons and barrels, I just borrowed a rotary honing tool and ground down the step until I had the smooth bore all the way down the last few inches. I popped new rings on the old pistons, ran the engine in for about 400 miles and then used it for track days and the odd rally for the next 5 years. No problems at all.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans