Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

swinging arm dominator 600 ss 1960

Forums

when refitting the s/arm i have a 5mm gap between the offside gusset plate which allows the s/a to float! the cleyflex bearings are in tight with the correct spacer between, they protude 3 and 7 mm out from each end, how do you centre the s/a? as it affects the wheel alignment; many thanks david

Hi David.

Usually the silent block bearings protude just enough to make the ends a sliding fit between the gusset plates. It seems that your bearings and spacer do not add up to the correct width. Do you have the originals to compare lengths?

If they are the same, the gap must have been there before somehow???

As far as I know the silentblocks should protude the same each side, so you need to push inthe 7mm side 2mm. to give 5mm each side.

IF the bearing spacer IS CORRECT and after setting the spacing of the silentblocs the same, you only have 2 choices.

Either space out each end of the bearings with 2.5mm washers or put the spacers inside, but as you have pressed in the silentbloc bushes i guess this would now be very difficult.

The swingarm and wheel spacing was all set centrally so no offset to one side or the other is required just keep the swing arm central to the frame.

This is how my one was, but other machines might be different, but I doubt it. Something seems very wrong with your set up.

Regards

Les H

NB I use thename Silentbloc for the rubber bushesbut it seems people call them Clayflex nowadays!

many thanks les, i agree with you comments, mine seems a strange set up!, to get the rear wheel in the centre of the frame, and to line up with steel straight edges, to the front wheel, the s/a is 2mm off the gusset plate to the nearside, thus leaving some 9mm gap on the offside, i have used spacers betwixt the silent bloc centre bush and the plate to tighten up on with the through tie rod.

what then has caused this? i forgot to mention that i think these bushes are original as they are in good order!

REGARDS DAVID

Hi David,

The centre line of each wheel, front and back should lie central to the front forks and central to the swing arm. It could be that the rear wheel is offset somewhat or dished slightly.

You couldtry to measure if the wheel rims relate centrally to each side of the swing arm. This will have to be measured accurately and it is not easy.

I would arrange for a bar across the rear part of the frame (mudguard removed) and accurately mark the centre. A line strruckk verticalll down from the centre marked bar should tell you if the wheel

One way would be toinstall a rod in between the rear fork centres. it could be wood or steel and measure exactly half way and mark it.

Then arrange for a bar across the rear part of the frame (mudguard removed) and accurately mark the centre. A line struck vertically down should line up with thecentre marked lower bar. With the wheel fitted, dropping a vertical line from the top bar should once again meet the centre of the tyre. This will only happen when the swing arm and wheel are both centralised. Any errors will point to the culprit.

Why is it like this with the loose fitting swing arm? Well I don't know, but perhaps the swing arm is from a slim line frame or visa versa and there could be a diffrence in them, perhaps some one could tell us if there is a difference in the featherbed swing arms?

Untill we know about the variations (If any) it is hard to know what is wrong.

We'll see what some others say.

CUL8TA

Les H

CORRECTION:

The centre line of each wheel, front and back should lie central to the front forks and central to the swing arm. It could be that the rear wheel is offset somewhat or dished slightly.

You couldtry to measure if the wheel rims relate centrally to each side of the swing arm. This will have to be measured accurately and it is not easy.

One way would be toinstall a rod in between the rear fork centres. it could be wood or steel and measure exactly half way and mark it.

Then arrange for a bar across the rear part of the frame (mudguard removed) and accurately mark the centre. A line struck vertically down, (use plumb line)when the bike is truly horizontal across the frame, (use spirit level) should line up with thecentre marked lower bar. With the wheel fitted, dropping a vertical line from the top bar should once again meet the centre of the tyre. This will only happen when the swing arm and wheel are both centralised. Any errors will point to the culprit.

Why is it like this with the loose fitting swing arm? Well I don't know, but perhaps the swing arm is from a slim line frame or visa versa and there could be a diffrence in them, perhaps some one could tell us if there is a difference in the featherbed swing arms?

Untill we know about the variations (If any) it is hard to know what is wrong.

We'll see what some others say.

CUL8TA

Les H

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans