Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Resurrecting a 72 750

Forums

I just bought a 72 750 off ebay. The previous owner had passed away and his mates were selling his collection on behalf of his widow. The 750 is in very tidy condition and comes with a huge wodge of receipts and old MOTs.

It hasn't been on rhe road for 18 months or so and I want to get her running well so I can take her to be MOTd. So far I have drained the fuel out of the FG tank which has been lined, I have removed the drain plugs from the carbs (some crud in one). Oil is coming back to the tank nicely so I decided to fire her up.

Started first kick! great sound tiny puff of smoke and oil returning healthily. However rather rough running won't idle for long however I adjust the throttle stop screws. The idle creeps up and down and will be different when it has been stopped and then restarted. Carbs are Mk1 Amals with K&N filter. My question is, will the old fuel have left nastiness in the carbs? Am I wise to strip and clean them?

Any other things on a check list for getting the old girl ready for the road? Nick

I would clean the float bowls out and check the float levels, ensure you have viton tipped float needles. The pilot jet on these carbs is incorporated in the body of the carb. spray some carb cleaner in the two small holes in the front face of the carb (air filter side) and see where it comes out. Ensure the carbs are balanced with a carb balancer and strobe the ignition timing. even with worn out carbs you should be able to get an even tickover.

Previously david_evans wrote:

I would clean the float bowls out and check the float levels, ensure you have viton tipped float needles. The pilot jet on these carbs is incorporated in the body of the carb. spray some carb cleaner in the two small holes in the front face of the carb (air filter side) and see where it comes out. Ensure the carbs are balanced with a carb balancer and strobe the ignition timing. even with worn out carbs you should be able to get an even tickover.

Hi David thanks as ever for your help. will do as you suggest. Not sure what viton tipped would look like. There are a pair of old carbs in the Amal box in the spares I got so I suspect these are not very old.

The only other element is that she has a PW3 cam installed. Are there any other considerations re the carbs for this? Cheers Nick

Previously nick_ohare wrote:

I just bought a 72 750 off ebay. The previous owner had passed away and his mates were selling his collection on behalf of his widow. The 750 is in very tidy condition and comes with a huge wodge of receipts and old MOTs.

It hasne been on rhe road for 18 months or so and I want to get her running well so I can take her to be MOTd. So far I have drained the fuel out of the FG tank which has been lined, I have removed the drain plugs from the carbs (some crud in one). Oil is coming back to the tank nicely so I decided to fire her up.

Started first kick! great sound tiny puff of smoke and oil returning healthily. However rather rough running wont idle for long however I adjust the throttle stop screws. The idle creeps up and down and will be different when it has been stopped and then restarted. Carbs are Mk1 Amals with K&N filter. My question is, will the old fuel have left nastiness in the carbs? Am I wise to strip and clean them?

Any other things on a check list for getting the old girl ready for the road? Nick

Nick....Is your engine a 'combat' type ? Does it have a small crancase drain plug and the breather chamber between the rear engine plates ? If so it might be worth checking if the sump oil scavenge has been modified, plus the mk.3 breather mod.

Colin

The float needles will have a black rubber tip on them. My guess is that if the previous owner took the time to fit a PW3 cam, he probably had most of the other stuff squared away. Not sure how you would check if the sump oil scavenge has been modified without splitting the cases Colin.

If there are a new pair of carbs fitted and you are lucky they might be Amal Premiers, in which case there should be a screw on the opposite side of the body to the pilot air screw, to gain access to the pilot jet. These carbs are quite well thought of and don't tend to eat themselves as the earlier ones do.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks for the info. Tomorrow is my day off so I willhave a chance to check on your suggestions. Re Combat is there not also a "C" stamped on the head somewhere?

I am also non the wiser about the PW3 opinion ranges from it being a useable road cam to a race cam. I guess I will find out when I get her on the road..... Thanks N

All 72 crankcases have the badly designed sump and breather setup until the MKV was introduced, not having the C stamped on the head does not mean you are ok on the sump front. The check is to look at the underneath of the cases, no big nut for sump drain means you have the problem cases. The problem is the postion of the oil return pickup, it is too far forward so at sustained high revs the oil goes to the back of the crankcase and out through the breather and not the pump, that plus the sump filter being deleted as well.

Fix one is to move the oil return pick up point backwards, at least 3 ways of doing this but all require a full engine stripdown to give access to the oilways. The early fix was to mill a substancial hole away at the rear but latest mod is to instead drill several small holes which then act as a filter of sorts.

The breather can stay where it is but by putting a reed valve just after it you improve the breathing side of things.

Previously david_evans wrote:

The float needles will have a black rubber tip on them. My guess is that if the previous owner took the time to fit a PW3 cam, he probably had most of the other stuff squared away. Not sure how you would check if the sump oil scavenge has been modified without splitting the cases Colin.

One way to check if the mod has been carried out is to go for a long run at sustained 5000 rpm and see if the oil level in the tank has gone down. It might be prudent to carry a catch bottle to drain the sump to enable you to get home !!!

The oil issue with the older cases may have been already solved. Apparently a con rod broke and destroyed the original cases. The case was replaced by Mick Hemmings with a later version when it was rebuilt so I might have dodged that bullet. I will get the number off it tomorrow and check it thoroughly. Perhaps one of you would know what numbers are the improved version? This does mean that it is no longer "matching numbers" but luckily that kind of thing doesnt get me excited. Having a strong reliable engine is more important even even if it sounds like heresy!

Hi David and Colin,

Here is an update having spent some time on the bike

1) The sump drain is a large nut. The number on the crankcase is 312298 the frame number is 209191. Does this mean I have the upgraded cases? No spin off oil filter though so not a Mark V sadly.

2) Lots of crystalline deposits in one of the banjo filters and a few small slivers of what looks like the tank lining.

3) the right hand carb has a main jet marked 230 and the left has 220

4) float needles have black tips. Spraying carb leaner through all orifices did yield some satisfying chunks of crud coming out.

5) The slides and bores have a lot of burring and signs of wear. It may be time to think about replacing the carbs altogether?

Tomorrow I put it all back together and try again.

1) You have 850 cases so no worries on the need for messing around there.

2) A 72 will probably have a fibre glass tank, ethanol in todays petrol eats the fibre glass and some of the bits get stuck in the filters, some dissolve in the petrol and then find their way into the carb and block jets and passageways especially the pilot. Some continue further and stick to the inlet valve stem. Best solution is to get a Steel tank, Emgo do a very good Roadster tank.

3) Opps, both should be the same size, what that size should be needs to be determined by a tune up as you have a non standard cam.

4) Good, these are vitron tipped

5) I get my carbs bored out and the slide sleeved, the metals then are different which makes the carb bore and slide wear much slower than on originals, other option is the Amal premiers.

Hi John, thanks. It seems that the engine number is indeed a very late 850. I thought that from 73 onwards there was a car type spin on oil filter? There is none with mine.

It is a fibreglass tank which has been lined but there are bubbles appearing under the paint which I suspect are signs of disintegration. Happily I have a spare steel interstate tank I can use while I invest in a steel roadster tank. I cant find Emgo on line except for a US outfit any links for the UK?

Looks like time for new carbs Cheers Nick

Previously nick_ohare wrote:

Hi John, thanks. It seems that the engine number is indeed a very late 850. I thought that from 73 onwards there was a car type spin on oil filter? There is none with mine.

It is a fibreglass tank which has been lined but there are bubbles appearing under the paint which I suspect are signs of disintegration. Happily I have a spare steel interstate tank I can use while I invest in a steel roadster tank. I cant find Emgo on line except for a US outfit any links for the UK?

Looks like time for new carbs Cheers Nick

The filter fitting is not related to the crankcases, you buy the bits and drill 2 holes in the gearbox cradle for the filter housing mounting bolts, there was a factory kit and my 72 combat with 72 cases has this kit fitted. Not sure who has the Emgo in stock but they are available in the UK, Andover may do them, if not try RGM or Hemmings.

Hi John, I guess regular oil changes are as good as an oil filter after all. The carbs were such a sorry mess that I went mad and bought a pair of new ones at FD Motorcycles in Great Dunmow along with all the control cables. They can also supply a stell roadster tank. They also have the most superb paint service there as well. Highly recommended! They didnt have the the Amal Premier version as they are on backorder for ages.

Carbs are intalled, steel interstate tank is in place so tomorrow it is in with some fresh fuel and fingers crossed! N

Because of the sludge trap will be working harder when there is no external filter it will fill quicker, as the engine has had at least one rebuild it should be empty or close to empty but an external filter keeps it this way.

Well some things are just sent to try us......... After fitting the carbs, new control cables and the steel tank and putting in 5 litres of BP Ultimate I was thoroughly disheartened to see fuel dripping off the new carbs. Turns out one of the new taps on the tank is leaking, the other one doesnt let fuel out at all. Dang! Looks like I will need new taps as well........... Good thing I like tinkering with old machinery.

The odd thing is that when I had to drain the tank the flow seems to be rather week (same with the fibreglass roadster tank as well) so it takes ages to empty.

I expect there are do's and don'ts with petrol taps as well so any suggestions? Who provides the best replacements?

It is not the seal to the tank it is the tap assembly itself which is a mystery.

Well I decided to get new fuel taps and tubing which the ever helpful FD Motorcycles in Great Dunmow got in the post for me. When I removed the originals one just did not work at all, the other was missing the copper washer which is why it was leaking. All that done she fires up and idles nicely on the new carbs. Here is a video I did for a mate in the US to explain the starting ritual ( he cant get over having to tickle the carbs!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9sKVxEIfUw

I will take her for a short run today to see how she shakes down.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans