Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Replacement valve springs for 88/99

Forums

I am about to fit new valve springs recently ordered from a UK supplier to rebuild the head of my 88SS (1963 model)

Checking the specified free length in P.L Garratt's manual and also the Haynes heavyweight twins manual, the specified free length of the outer springs is 1.700 +/- 0.020" Replacement is specified when the free length is 0.125" less than the specified value.

The valve springs received from the UK, clearly labelled suitable for 1961-on 88/99/650, have a free length of 1.620" for the outer. This matches the data shown in my 1970-on Commando manual.

What are members using for Dominator valve springs in the UK?

Hi Ian. I think it will depend on what head you have. Downdraught or earlier type. SS bikes were fitted with both types and changes made by owners over the years.

Later SS heads were fitted with fairly thick heat resisting washers under the valve spring cups. Perhaps the slightly shorter spring length was to help prevent the springs from becoming coil-bound.

Thanks. I'll fit them to the head and check operation.

By the way did 88SS have the thin alloy pushrods or the tapered , alloy ones like my 600SS and 650SS?

The Downdraught head SS had the uprated barrel ally pushrods, Can't say for sure what yours should have as you have not indicated what head you have. Same thing with the Valve springs. Its also possible that you have earlier barrels which may not have clearance for the uprated pushrods. Best to start off Knowing exactly what is there . If you have had it from new then its a bit easier. Even then 63 was the change to AMC factory and they were not that interested in the 88/99 except to use up the stocks, they fitted all sorts including 650 cases. A while ago I was admiring an88ss for sale when I realised it was actually an 88 DL that I had owned years before.

Thanks Robert, A set of both came with all of the bits so i will use the uprated ones. They are matching lengths.

The longer springs (1.73" inner and2.125 outer) were fitted to the non DD head.The shorter springs on the DDSS were packed out with shims if necessary, The barrels for the 88/99SS were the same as fitted to the std late 88/99 , sometime in the sixties the 88ss was fitted with a stronger crank with a smaller core if you have one of these they are very rare. Watch out for later pushrods which were made longer to change valve geometry.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans