Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Norton Model 7 1953....just finished!

Forums

Well I eventually got it on the road today, ...very pleased with it and will write up a review and story when I get the time....Now I've got another two bikes awaiting the same treatment...Les

photo IMG_2166_zps412s4nld.jpg

Norton Model 7 1953 photo IMG_2114_zpsttpq9kgc.jpg  photo IMG_2185_zpspmg0ktml.jpg

Norton Model 7 1953 photo IMG_2147_zpsig2ed08f.jpg

photo IMG_2175_zpsigmhmsrc.jpg

photo IMG_2154_zpsogkfjv8d.jpg

photo IMG_2099_zpshccvckc7.jpg

That looks great I have just purchased a model 7 myself some of it not original I would like to get mine looking 1/2 as nice as that .

Thanks for the pictures

Many thanks Neil Simon and Dan. It has taken nearly 6 years to get it from the wreck that I paid far too much for. If I had worked on it for say 4 hours EVERY day I guess it would have taken 6 months or so. As I had paid too much I ended up doing at least 90 percent of renovating everything just to save money. By everything I mean rebuilding switches, magneto, dynamo, regulator, wiring harness, speedo, tin bashing, metal straightening, total rebuilds of engine gearbox and clutch, alloy polishing, building wheels and quite a bit of paintwork too. etc etc...unfortunately it still cost a small fortune especially in man hours.

Good news is that I just love it....I'm genuinely amazed at how easy it starts and ticks over so reliably. After the big singles I've been riding over the last few years I'd forgotten the benefits of a twin engine and what a glorious exhaust tone, thatstrongdeepburble is really lovely. Handling is slightly different compared to my other bikes that I've been riding of late....It has quite a strong straight ahead stability but still easy to flick it around so I'm still "tuning" in to this distinct feel. Front brake is pretty good I think and still bedding in....The improvement tweeksI discussed here some years back for the 7" brake seem to work then. So Simon I reckon you won't be disappointed when you get yours on the road and remember it is the last real wholly Norton twin that was produced as all the later models have AMC gear boxes this alone makes it extra special to me....which reminds me to remark that the clutch is the most lightest and smoothest I have ever used on ANY size bike, lightweights included... wonderful...Thanks again....Les

photo P1050840_zpsc1hzwkfy.jpgNorton Model 7 1953 photo P1050848_zps3eszg815.jpgNorton Model 7 1953 photo P1050816_zps5btz6egv.jpg

PS....Just remembered something that I DON'T like.....putting the bike up on the centre stand, it's one very heavy bike and one needs to seemingly lift the bike off the ground to get the bike parked up I'm sure many would not be able too.

Nice to hear from you again Colin...thanks for your compliments....knowing that you manage to renovate bikes a bit quicker than I can...Smile..Les

Les did you happen to have that rear mudguard and plate holder or did you source a new or old one ? One problem I know I will have from the small amount of research I have done .

Simon

Hello Simon. The rear mudguard and number plate bracket are the original ones, as are virtually everything else. Some areas of the mudguard were good and solid but others very rusty , in fact rusted right through. Worst areas were around the lower right front around the primary chaincaseand alsowhere the two rear stays are fixed at the hinge position...All these areas I had to make good (as best as I could) but pretty sound now...I had them powder coated rubbed down and then 2K'd to give them some extra body.

Not sure but maybe look at the "Hitchcocks" web site, you might find he has some Indian made replacement guards for the Royal Enfields that could be used. They wont have that lovely end flair that the Norton has but you might be able to find some with deep separate side walls. As far as the hinged section you might be able to cut a single guard, weld on a small fillet, fix on two pinsand add the hinge, it shouldn't be too difficult. What ever you do....don't put on a "blade" type guard definitely find one as said, with deep side walls. Would like to see some pics of your bike as is.....ATB....Les

Previously les_howard wrote:

Hello Simon. The rear mudguard and number plate bracket are the original ones, as are virtually everything else. Some areas of the mudguard were good and solid but others very rusty , in fact rusted right through. Worst areas were around the lower right front around the primary chaincaseand alsowhere the two rear stays are fixed at the hinge position...All these areas I had to make good (as best as I could) but pretty sound now...I had them powder coated rubbed down and then 2K'd to give them some extra body.

Not sure but maybe look at the "Hitchcocks" web site, you might find he has some Indian made replacement guards for the Royal Enfields that could be used. They wont have that lovely end flair that the Norton has but you might be able to find some with deep separate side walls. As far as the hinged section you might be able to cut a single guard, weld on a small fillet, fix on two pinsand add the hinge, it shouldn't be too difficult. What ever you do....don't put on a "blade" type guard definitely find one as said, with deep side walls. Would like to see some pics of your bike as is.....ATB....Les

Attachments norton9-jpg

Thanks for the information Les I will go and have a look at Hitchcocks its not too far from me .i would like to get the rear guard sorted and then get the correct seat from R K Leighton. I will try to post a picture of it .

simon

Hello Simon...I've just noticed you've added a photo of presumably your bike?...Well if that's how it looks now, it only needs a quick polish up to be nearly perfect...don't know what you mean about it needing a refurb or you "wish you could get yours half as good as mine."..looks totally OK to me...You are lucky that yours has the 8" brake, but I kept the original on mine for authenticity. As far as I can see is that it just needs (if you want that is) to get the correct seat...everything lookstotally fine... including the rear guard?....Les

A beautiful job, Les. You can see the singles heritage in it. If I ever move of ES2's that's what I'll have! Mind you, I can only just get the ES2 on its stand........George

Hello Simon...I've just noticed you've added a photo of presumably your bike?...Well if that's how it looks now, it only needs a quick polish up to be nearly perfect...don't know what you mean about it needing a refurb or you "wish you could get yours half as good as mine."..looks totally OK to me...You are lucky that yours has the 8" brake, but I kept the original on mine for authenticity. As far as I can see is that it just needs (if you want that is) to get the correct seat...everything lookstotally fine... including the rear guard?....Les

Hi yes the photograph is kind to the general finish lots of brush painting has gone on . The guard is squared like my old C15 I would just like to get it back to original as possible and use it .I have only had this bike 3 days though purchased from eBay one of five bikes that need looking after but its great to see a finished example photographed so I have have reference to how mine should be .

Simon

That's very kind of you George...many thanks.

Hi Simon...odd that I didn't see the bike shown on Ebay, but I have spent days now trying to get Windows 7 to work properly after I broke it by fiddling with it (It won't update now)

By all meansask away if you have any questions regarding the M7 only too pleased to help....Les

Well I eventually got it on the road today, ...very pleased with it and will write up a review and story when I get the time....Now I've got another two bikes awaiting the same treatment...Les

Norton Model 7 1953 photo IMG_2114_zpsttpq9kgc.jpg  photo IMG_2185_zpspmg0ktml.jpg

Hi Les,

Great job. Well done!

I'm restoring a similar machine at present and soon to start assembly. Two quick questions:

i) Where did you get the silencers? Can't seem to find a supplier from down here in Oz!!

ii) I need to marry a gearbox to complete the bike. I have a number of G101 laydown gearboxes but no two have the same width of mounting lugs. Are the top and bottom gearbox mouning lugs the same width between the engine plates on yours or not? Could you advise both widths please?

regards

Hi Les,

Really a very nice job! As much as it is a joy to look at & I am sure equally joyful to ride, having the drive to begin a project & the persistence to continue until the project is complete is the real accomplishment. My '50 Model 7 has sat longer than it should mid way through, due to lack of time. You have inspired me to make the time to finish her up!

Thank you!

P.S. That's some amazing foliage in the background, what part of the world was the photos taken?

All the best,

Skip Brolund

Sorry about the delay in this reply.... I have mucked up my PC and have now spentscores of hours trying to get it to work properly...still not OK and intend to fresh install again (Windows 7)for about the 10th time....I'm outraged at Microsoft that I need to .....Anyway........

Hi James...Many thanks, much appreciate your comment.

Hi Ian...difficult to get a ruler in to measure but it seems top and bottom are both the same at 84.7mm or thereabouts. To check all you have to do is measure the width of the frame lugs on your frame that are at the top that hold the main engine/gearbox plates and at the bottombetween the brazed-on lugs that the bottom gearbox stud passes through to pivot the box...The silencers and exhaust pipes are from "Armours Exhausts"....I did have some trouble fitting the pipes and I believe the shape is slightly wrong (too swept back) but as you can't get any others, I'm afraid they'll have to do (I know "Feked" sell some but I believe the pipes are still bent by the samecompany that bends the Armours ones)...Many thanks for your compliments too.

Hi Skip....as old members of the Yahoo Model 7 Group I realise I must be the slowest renovator out there...but yes, I eventually got there....BTW...Photos show one old rusty bolt still in place where I had accidently forgotten to swap it over for a new one after using the rusty one as a quick fit measure...now changed....and the primary chain and oil tank transfers are missing'cos I've lost them... so I still havetofind and fitthem toreally call it finished.....Many thanks Skip....Les

PS...The "exotic plants" are plain old Yuccas in my garden (or yard as you might call it), these are one of the few plants that the hordes of rabbitswe have down here in West Somerset don't devour...(SW England). Keeping the garden tidy hasn't helped getting the bikes renovated...Oh yes, Irecently bought an ancientDennis lawn mower with a big chuffing 600 cc side-valve engine to mow the lawns....Oh dear and alas... I feel I need to fully renovate this too....Frown...Les

Thanks Les,

As they are about the same width that helps me no end. Some of my gearboxes are narrower at the top where the hackers have been at them (or the aluminium eating mice we have down here!!).

I wanted to have the gearbox ready when the frame arrives back from the painters.

Once the engine is back I'll check the measurement against the lugs but I wanted to get the gearbox casing aqua blasted and clear chromated with Alodine to get maximum corrosion resistance.

thanks again.

Hi Les I am just looking into getting the correct seat do the fittings to the back of the seat attach to the shock absorber bolts ? My one attaches to the non original mudguard!

Regards Simon

Hi Simon...Yes the single piecegoal post shaped bracket (Flat steel bar about an inch wide) is bent down at each side from the seat pan to fit onto the top shock absorber bolts...They are slotted and slide in between the frame and the large tapering alloy spacers. I have the taper large side inwards towards and in contact with the mudguard sides. I fitted a stainless washer between the frame and bracket toprotect the paint.

Note: BOTH front and rear brackets slope forward about 20 degrees so the seat can be slid downwards and forwards at the same time to fit snugly (but with a gap) behind the petrol tank....Les

Hi Simon...Yes the single piecegoal post shaped bracket (Flat steel bar about an inch wide) is bent down at each side from the seat pan to fit onto the top shock absorber bolts...They are slotted and slide in between the frame and the large tapering alloy spacers. I have the taper large side inwards towards and in contact with the mudguard sides. I fitted a stainless washer between the frame and bracket toprotect the paint.

Note: BOTH front and rear brackets slope forward about 20 degrees so the seat can be slid downwards and forwards at the same time to fit snugly (but with a gap) behind the petrol tank....Les

Thanks Les seat ordered and I might be onto a suitable rear mudguard .

Simon

Hi Geoff...I am very very sorry for missing your question....never noticed it before. My tank was painted by JBS of East Coker England:

http://east-coker.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/jbs-motorcycle-painting-19684313.html

The paint is a Ford car colour....sorry but I cannot remember what the actual name is but Dave there is willing to let you know if you contact him.

BTW It does look right and today I won the Best Norton award at the big Exmoor Run event which made me very proud I must say:

PS Thanks very much Paul

Les

Attachments P1060532.JPG p1060533-jpg

Your bike is magnificent, so I hope you get to run many miles on it.

Regarding the gearbox lugs, I had a basket-case s/arm Model 7 (1955), the bottom of the gearbox was wider than the top. The bottom bolt was supported in lugs in the lower frame tubes, the top went between the engine plates.

Does anyone know how I might get one of those open-type rear number plate brackets? Was it used on all the pre '55 Model 7 bikes? It appears to be the same item as pre '55 Model 88 and f/bed Internationals

Paul

Hi Les

This is a very bike. Congratulations. Where did you get the rear brake switch?

Best regards

RenÃ?

-

Thank you very very much Rene. Like most of the bike, the rear stop light switch is the original....I took it apart, cleaned it up and re-built it...However, I think replica ones are available....if I can find where I saw them I will let you know...Best regards....Les

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans