Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

JPN 961

I think it would be brilliant if the new Norton Motorcycle Company made a 961 along the lines of the old JPN.

I might even put my hands in my pocket for one of those

You could buy a standard one, and get the likes of Dream Machine to do you a one-off JPN paint job, giving you a unique bike. Then the factory will get to hear of it, and like it so much that they bring out a limited edition run, of which yours will be the prototype, doubling its value overnight - result!!cool

Previously ian_cordes wrote:

You could buy a standard one, and get the likes of Dream Machine to do you a one-off JPN paint job, giving you a unique bike. Then the factory will get to hear of it, and like it so much that they bring out a limited edition run, of which yours will be the prototype, doubling its value overnight - result!!cool

Ian in my opion they need to find how the build the one they got right first before LTD edtions and its now time for a new modle something on the lines of a V6 or a electric bike, or anti-gravivic bike the next big thing we all ready have the technology, to build these machinces, as anyone see the TR3B yet , well I have, photo and flim footage on youtube , yours anna j

In defence of the 961 from somebody who's actually got one - minehas beencompletely reliablefrom new. It now runs beautifully afterlast month'sservice which included a remap to cure aleanrunning issue that Norton recently identified inpreviousECU settings on bikes leaving the factory. Prior to the recommended remap bike ran well enoughalbeit abit lumpy at lower revs but is nowas smooth as silk.

Previously james_fanning wrote:

In defence of the 961 from somebody who's actually got one - minehas beencompletely reliablefrom new. It now runs beautifully afterlast month'sservice which included a remap to cure aleanrunning issue that Norton recently identified inpreviousECU settings on bikes leaving the factory. Prior to the recommended remap bike ran well enoughalbeit abit lumpy at lower revs but is nowas smooth as silk.

I also actually own a 961, 2000 trouble freemiles on possibly the best bike Ive owned in my32 years of motorcycling, dont believe all you hear....

Well with a new bike these setting should of been done well before you even got the bike not after a sevice , all the new Japanses bikes, I had from new are set up before you get on the bike, the reason I do not ride them now it my left foot as been injuered ,so no longer operate a left hand gear change lever like I did before, yours anna J

Anna

Yes set up with chocolate cams on early Honda V fours, rately / failing timing chans on CX 500s, cold seizes on Suzuki RG250s, subframes breaking off on Suzuki Hayabusas, Harley Davidson ABS failures, Speed wobbles on Honda ST1300s, fuel pump relay failures on BMW GS range so that the engine just stops running while maybe rideing in the fast lane of the motorway And all the other very many recalls modern bikes get.. BMW have just announced a recall for 300,000 bikes worldwide for cracking wheels for instance..the list is endless..

Can you explain to me why you think the bikes mentioned above were all "well set up" ,better and gave less trouble than a 961?

Previously peter_stowe wrote:

Anna

Yes set up with chocolate cams on early Honda V fours, rately / failing timing chains on CX 500s, cold seizes on Suzuki RG250s, subframes breaking off on Suzuki Hayabusas, Harley Davidson ABS failures, Speed wobbles on Honda ST1300s, fuel pump relay failures on BMW GS range so that the engine just stops running while maybe rideing in the fast lane of the motorway And all the other very many recalls modern bikes get.. BMW have just announced a recall for 300,000 bikes worldwide for cracking wheels for instance..the list is endless..

Can you explain to me why you think the bikes mentioned above were all "well set up" ,better and gave less trouble than a 961?

Well peter I never owned any of this lot , just the best bikes that did not give any troubles , Kaswasaki Z650 for one, riden with in its frame capablitiy is a good bike

engine run to 100,000 mlie without any touching them just there oil changes and chains and sprockes ,and I not that keen on ABS and the old plastic pig CX 500 will go along way before it needs a timing chain , the Scareist bike amog this lot is the ST1300 handling its killed police riders the best BMW was the boxer or the flying brick after this they lost there way, the most relieable bikes were the dominator or big single Nortons .I have been a sound engineer for some time and some electronics I have found are not reliable,And 99% of failures are dry solder joints .like electric on british bikes connecters faults dry joints faults. soldering not done right, or not cleaned right before soldering

electronics is all down to good quality componants and how there put together in the rightway, the biggist problem with the 961 is it frame its out of date,

the featherbed frame worked so well because it was like a spring in the right places of this construstion it flexed were it was needed but ridged too its also got some very nice curves these curves are very stronge , and nice curved tube will take more weight than a stight tube , this is why we have nice curves in bridges, nice curved iron Bridges have stud the test of time , some are over 150 year old, and still standing strong that way the Featherbed frame is best frame ever made, its still after 60 years in big demand , and twin shocks are better than a single shocker , that the computer data , the best modern motorcycle was the Rotary Norton's the engine as still under delevoped it will give out more power in time of more delelopment and reseach the key is to get better seals between the rotor and its housing its then ables you to get better oil circulation , food for thought ....yours anna j

As much as I hate to get involved in this non tech diatribe the chance to wipe that smug grin off of Anna's face is too irresistible.

You will no doubt Anna be pleased to hear that I had a minor problem with the clutch on my 2500 mile 961, you would of course know, what with your advanced engineeing knowlage and all, that the 961 clutch consumables are of Yamaha origins.

The last time Iooked, and Anna will correct me if I'm wrong, Yamaha were a JAPANESE company.

BOOM end of thread.........

Previously terry_woods wrote:

As much as I hate to get involved in this non tech diatribe the chance to wipe that smug grin off of Anna's face is too irresistible.

You will no doubt Anna be pleased to hear that I had a minor problem with the clutch on my 2500 mile 961, you would of course know, what with your advanced engineeing knowlage and all, that the 961 clutch consumables are of Yamaha origins.

The last time Iooked, and Anna will correct me if I'm wrong, Yamaha were a JAPANESE company.

What was the clutch problem you had and how was it resolved ?

Hello members, anyone who has any 961 must suffer the same problem i do with sidestand.you have to be double jointed to flick it out and at night its invisible almost been over a couple of times, has anyone sorted this problem out and what did you do? on such an expensive bike its so annoying

What was the clutch problem you had and how was it resolved ?

Hi James

As in a previous post, the clutch made a graunching noise when dropped in fast, burrs found on some plates were replaced, the plates that is not the burrs.

Previously frederick_hood wrote:

Hello members, anyone who has any 961 must suffer the same problem i do with sidestand.you have to be double jointed to flick it out and at night its invisible almost been over a couple of times, has anyone sorted this problem out and what did you do? on such an expensive bike its so annoying

Hi Frederick,

some have resolved this by welding on an extension. I've decided to do mine by threading the end of the stand tab and extending it by screwing on a chrome dome nut.

Previously frederick_hood wrote:

Hi Frederick,

some have resolved this by welding on an extension. I've decided to do mine by threading the end of the stand tab and extending it by screwing on a chrome dome nut.

Nodifferent to an early commando then.... :)

Previously mac_macdonald wrote:

Previously peter_stowe wrote:

I think it would be brilliant if the new Norton Motorcycle Company made a 961 along the lines of the old JPN.

I might even put my hands in my pocket for one of those

Like this one Peter?

Now let me say this concept is Not that bad, and more in keeping with the original machnies , But Norton will never build another 650,

now will they,

Hello well come and wipe this smug grin off my face your self , if you like too, I was not me that told Norton to use Japanese parts when they said the 961 was all British souced parts and how many other parts are made out of this country thats not British, I think I'll stick to my original Bracebridge Street built in Birmingham Norton Manxman 650 has I am one that dares too be that bit diffrent, and I can say the Original Norton Manxman 650 is reliable motorcycle, if maintained at the right intervils and I am not one too be privlaged to have the funding I would like, living on your own is hard, on low wages! So then go and enjoy your motorcycle, british or not you only go in the same place as anyone else dose , just be happy your alive to do this! many are not! yours anna j

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans