Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

ES2 1956

Forums

My Amal monobloc carb is knackered and I have been advised to replace it with a Concentric model. Has anyone else any experience of this and would you recommend?

On a separate note I have a leaking petrol tap (cork seal not a tight fit) and seem to recall hearing somewhere that you can expand / revive the cork seal by placing it in very hot water. Is that true?

Neil Foot

Hi Neil. Yes, if you place the cork in just boiled water and leave it overnight it will expand. The trick is to then install it when still wet and allow petrol to run through the tap a little. Apparently the fuel seals the water into the cork so it wont dry out and shrink again (unless you turn the tap off for a very long time)

It has worked for me a couple if times, but I am not a fan of the cork seal type taps. Unless there is an issue for you with needing to have it completely original, I would recomend a new brass tap without cork stuff. You can pick a decent one up on ebay for under £20.

Paul

Previously neil_foot wrote:

My Amal monobloc carb is knackered and I have been advised to replace it with a Concentric model. Has anyone else any experience of this and would you recommend?

On a separate note I have a leaking petrol tap (cork seal not a tight fit) and seem to recall hearing somewhere that you can expand / revive the cork seal by placing it in very hot water. Is that true?

Neil Foot

Hi Neil,I am using an Amal Mk1 Concentric on a 1949 Model 18 engine and so far it has been nothing but trouble,in theory it should be a better carb.

I'd be very interested in what others have to say,

Darren

Previously darren_logan wrote:

Hi Neil,I am using an Amal Mk1 Concentric on a 1949 Model 18 engine and so far it has been nothing but trouble,in theory it should be a better carb.

I'd be very interested in what others have to say,

Darren

I wouldn't believe that a Concentric carb is a better carb than the earlier one. The Concentric was built to reduce costs as much as possible with a "Cheap and cheerful" carb. I do like the two screws holding the top on the concentric over the threaded ring which seems to strip very easily, but other than that, I think the earlier carb is a better instrument.

Colin.

I too would stick with a monobloc. When it comes to the petrol taps I've successfuly replaced the corks on several taps. Drive out the central spindle using a pin punch (there are some tapson which the central spindleis threaded and will unscrew). Make a new corkusing a cork borer,I then drill the centre on mine using a lathe tokeep it nice and central. Fit the cork and lightlycentre punch the spindle once in place. A smear of grease and re-assemble.

The secret is the right cork! Mine own choice is fromTesco's Cava(can't stand the stuff myself but the wife loves it)as it seems to use a muchfiner 'grained' cork.

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Neil,

Having used both carbs on various bikes, the concentric carb works fine andis easy to work on, also it`s the cheaper option. You can get new monobloc`s from Surrey Cycles,or the Amal carb co, if you prefer said carbs ,make sure you get it fitted a chrome platedslide ,and Viton jet needle and stay up float. It`ll help the carb lastusingeffnol fuels.

cheers,

AlanH.

Thanks for that Paul I will try that with the old tap - nothing to lose.

Previously paul_gooch wrote:

Hi Neil. Yes, if you place the cork in just boiled water and leave it overnight it will expand. The trick is to then install it when still wet and allow petrol to run through the tap a little. Apparently the fuel seals the water into the cork so it wont dry out and shrink again (unless you turn the tap off for a very long time)

It has worked for me a couple if times, but I am not a fan of the cork seal type taps. Unless there is an issue for you with needing to have it completely original, I would recomend a new brass tap without cork stuff. You can pick a decent one up on ebay for under £20.

Paul

Thanks to all for your responses - my first time posting a query despite being a member for last 4 years! I really appreciate your experience and advice. Now I need to give some further consideration to the Concentric v Mono matter preferably over a bottle of red (full marks Ian!) and if it turns out to be a nasty plastic stopper then will just have to keep going! Alan I think you have explained wht happened to my slide so chrome it is for the future. Is rebuild a good option? If replacing is there much between Surrey and Amal? I plan to get in touch with both and check out their offerings.

Previously alan_houghton wrote:

Hi Neil,

Having used both carbs on various bikes, the concentric carb works fine andis easy to work on, also it`s the cheaper option. You can get new monobloc`s from Surrey Cycles,or the Amal carb co, if you prefer said carbs ,make sure you get it fitted a chrome platedslide ,and Viton jet needle and stay up float. It`ll help the carb lastusingeffnol fuels.

cheers,

AlanH.

New carbs come in plain metal - old ones had some kind of special grey paint. In one of Bacon's books (Norton Twins Restoration) he points this out and says the paint they once used is no longer available. So for the fanatic - that might be a reason to refurbish an old carburetter.

Monoblock should be better for at least two reasons. One is that on full throttle it has a smoother bore (because of the jet block). The other is that the slide is supported better so it ought to wear less.

Having used both fairly extensively,my only comment is that I get a few extra mpg with a monobloc. Gordon.

hi chaps interesting tale about soaking the cork seals to revitalize them

i had the cylinder head off of my gmc truck and when reassemberling

found the cork rocker cover gasket had shrunk by about 4 inches put

it in the bath for a couple of days and it grew by about eight inches

it did eventually shrink back to size

regards roger

G'day Neil, I have been reading all the above posts with interest, and must point out that the new cylindrical tap corks are readily available from most U.K. ebay shops selling old bike parts. Some sell the corks with the brass plunger attatched, and others just the corks by them selves. Much easier than stuffing around making your own. (been there, done that)

Re the carburettor, I personally would be sticking to the Amal Monoblok instead of the concentric. They certainly look beter than the later concentric, but that's just me, as I like originality. Petrol proof paint is available to paint the carby, if you wish. VHT engine enamal aerosol in aluminium looksa similar color towhat was originally on the 276 & 376 Amal's, and so far, on my '51 ES2, shows no sign of deteriation from the petrol.

Paul

Post script;

I just had a search in the club spares, and both tap corks I mention are listed,

Support the club!

Previously Paul Knapp wrote:

G'day Neil, I have been reading all the above posts with interest, and must point out that the new cylindrical tap corks are readily available from most U.K. ebay shops selling old bike parts. Some sell the corks with the brass plunger attatched, and others just the corks by them selves. Much easier than stuffing around making your own. (been there, done that)

Re the carburettor, I personally would be sticking to the Amal Monoblok instead of the concentric. They certainly look beter than the later concentric, but that's just me, as I like originality. Petrol proof paint is available to paint the carby, if you wish. VHT engine enamal aerosol in aluminium looksa similar color towhat was originally on the 276 & 376 Amal's, and so far, on my '51 ES2, shows no sign of deteriation from the petrol.

Paul

Post script;

I just had a search in the club spares, and both tap corks I mention are listed,

Support the club!

In the end I bought the plungers with cork attached after the old corks disintegrated - too long in hot water maybe???

Decided I would go for new Amal Monobloc 376 but only Surrey have come back at this stage to say they are out of stock at the moment. I asked about setting up and they say they can do to original spec or to customer spec... Any thoughts / recommendations ?

Neil

I use a 28mm Mk 1 on my ES2, it is the correct size for the standard ES2. (A 26mm Mk1 on my Model 50)

Ethanol and Cork don't work well together so try and use E0 petrol.

Why not send your old carb to Martin Bratby? It will come back better than new. And cost less than a new one!

The orriginal cork tap works well on my 99, I do aviod ethanol if possible, the cork needs to be a close fit,the tap body to be cleaned of burrs,cork given a shot of hot water and a smear of bar soap to lube and seal off any small pits.Still seals and works after a 5 year rest.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans