Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Dunlop TT100

Forums

Hi Experts,

Does anyone have experience of fitting a 4.10 K81 TT100 tyre onto a slimline featherbed?

Will it fit in the swingarm without fouling anything?

I am building up my cafe ES2 (61 bike) and think that from an aesthetic standpoint it will look smart!

Thanks!

I was advised by Norville that a modern equivalent of a 3.50 , 19 inch would fit my slimline 99. It does not unless the wheel is right back in the forks and no chain adjustment. Tyre fouls the orriginal chainguard mounts. Yours may be different. I went back to a 3.50.

Be very careful. I was caught out trying to fit modern Avons on my 650, ended up having to throw two tyres away. In the end, I found that Conti Blitz 4.00 x 18 fitted the back and Conti Blitz 3.25 x 19 fitted the front.

A 4.10 TT100 (K81) fits a slimline featherbed. I used K81s when I raced my Dominator - 3.60x19 on the front, 4.10x19 on the back. Good predictable tyres on the track, you can set up a controllable slide on the faster bends. I even managed to scrub the tread off the sides leaving plenty in the centre. However, for road use they have disadvantages. The centre of the tread wears quickly, leaving an abrupt angle between the centre of the tread and the sides. This makes the bike very skittery on wet roundabouts I discovered, not being able to keep up with a friend on another Domi fitted with good old fashioned Avon Speedmaster and SM Mk 2 tyres. And it wasn't my crap riding, honest - I have won money and had a podium place on the Domi - an 88 up against Yellow Peril Commandos and the like. So now I have Speedmasters and SM Mk 2s on all my bikes. Great in the wet and I still kick up sparks cornering in the dry.

A 4.10 TT100 (K81) fits a slimline featherbed. I used K81s when I raced my Dominator - 3.60x19 on the front, 4.10x19 on the back. Good predictable tyres on the track, you can set up a controllable slide on the faster bends. I even managed to scrub the tread off the sides leaving plenty in the centre. However, for road use they have disadvantages. The centre of the tread wears quickly, leaving an abrupt angle between the centre of the tread and the sides. This makes the bike very skittery on wet roundabouts I discovered, not being able to keep up with a friend on another Domi fitted with good old fashioned Avon Speedmaster and SM Mk 2 tyres. And it wasn't my crap riding, honest - I have won money and had a podium place on the Domi - an 88 up against Yellow Peril Commandos and the like. So now I have Speedmasters and SM Mk 2s on all my bikes. Great in the wet and I still kick up sparks cornering in the dry.

Great info!

The Avons are my other consideration, and perhaps a much safer (and more predictable) bet.

With the Speedmaster and Safety Mileage combo, I could use the 3.00 front and 4.00 rear and still achieve a similar look to the Dunlop TT100, which is quite appealing.

Then of course, I could just go up the Roadrider 90/90 front and 100/90 rear route, which I guess is near to what would have been originally fitted.

With the tyre manufacturers using modern compounds, it looks like we have more choice than ever before!

Cheers!

If you go for the Avon SM on the rear (which I prefer), a 3.50 is the better option. Just watch out for Roadriders - they can be bigger than they claim and not fit in the forks - something I discovered... Don't forget, the Speedmasters and SMs are now made in modern compound rubber too!

Its possible to fit a slightly bigger tyre when going for 18" as the rear fork is a bit wider at this point, its also possible to fit the larger size if the wheels are not in line!!, Anyway, otherwise useless new tyres hanging on the garage wall really add to the atmosphere of the place.

I experimented with a variety of tyres on my 'Track Day' bikes and was quite surprised to findsignificant differences between Avons and Dunlops in the sizes I used on my Atlas. Namely 3.60 x 19, 4.10 x 19 and 4.25 x 18. Roadrunners, TT100s and Arrowmax.

All the Avons fitted with no mods required to start with. The 3.60 on the front and the others at the rear. The 4.25 Avonturned out to betooclose afit and and rubbed in the swinging arm until I made a mod to give more clearance.

The 3.60 TT100 would only fit between the front forks if the original mudguard was replaced asit rubbbed on the bridge. The 4.25 also rubbed, in the swinging arm,until I groundits shoulder sides down.

I sometimes ran my bikes with a mix of the brands but generally felt the handling was better when not doing so.Until the later Avon Venoms and Roadrunnersbecame availablemy number one choice for afront tyre was the Dunlop Arromax. It was just so grippy in the dry or wet.

Currently my Dominator wears Avon Roadriders andmy Commando TT100s.

we had a look at a few different tyre options this weekend at Kempton Bile Jumble (what a waste of time that was... snow scared most people away from the place)

It's nice to see the tyres for real side by side rather than looking at pics and spec sheets.

I think I am edging toward the Avon Roadriders - everyone seems to rave about them being a good, comfortable ride that don't get stuck on the white lines.

It's just a shame there is nothing more extreme than the 90/90 and 100/90 front and rear option, as I really fancied something a little wider on the rear.

The joys of a 19" wheel I guess!

I use Avons, SM ribbed on front and Roadridder 100/90 on rear, I just prefer the ribbed on the front as one of my bikes has a 20 inch front wheel and it rides well. The Roadridder seems to fit the rear guard of a Norton W/L easier as its narrower than the TT100 because of the style of the shoulders.

Never tried the Roadrider on the front though.

This may sound odd but my preferred option over many, many thousands of miles was Avon Roadrunner 3.60x19 on the front and Avon SM Mk2 3.50x19 on the back. The Roadrunner would last pretty much forever (20,000+ miles) and not lose its grip. Of course it's good to support the guys in Melksham which is one reason to go for Avon. One of my bikes still sports a second-hand Chen Shin ribbed on the front. I know, I know, but it's surprisingly good though it will be replaced by a proper Avon.

purely cosmetics Alan, I just like the look of a fatter rear tyre.

I guess I am a frustrated ES2 owner with a deep-down yearning for a Manx!

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans