Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Buying a Featherbed 88/99 twin

Only just joined so hope you do not mind early request.

Just need to know what to look for and avoid when buying the above. Owned an 88 many many years ago and can only remember leaking chaincase.

Help and advise greatly appreciated!

88 motors seem to be less fragile than 99s. Should a 99 break a con rod, it usually destroys the barrels too - and even the crankcases on occasion. 88s seldom break rods, even though the rods are identical. Given the choice, I would opt for the 88. It might not have quite the grunt of a 99 but it is generally smoother and goes well enough.

Previously Gordon Johnston wrote:

88 motors seem to be less fragile than 99s. Should a 99 break a con rod, it usually destroys the barrels too - and even the crankcases on occasion. 88s seldom break rods, even though the rods are identical. Given the choice, I would opt for the 88. It might not have quite the grunt of a 99 but it is generally smoother and goes well enough.

Thank you, useful info.

A, well sorted, 88 will cruise all day at 60 m.p.h., and may just top 90 in perfect conditions. Maintenance is relatively easy, but, these are aging bikes, so, find an expert to check it out. By the way, the chaincase should not leak, if fitted properly.

Check the wheels are in line vertically (frame not twisted) ,frame tubing solid at silencer mounts and shock brackets, front downtubes not bent . fork slider for cracks at bottom, swing arm play, correct tinware, charge on ampmeter with lights on at 30mph ,oil returns in tank, missing barrel fins, clanking or smoking engine, rust in rear mudguard, chronometric speedo that works ,exhaust rose's are secure , compression good and equal on both pots. Register at center for incurable diseases.

Seriously though - the exhaust ports will have suffered if the exhaust roses have been allowed to rattle loose. Not easy to check though unless they are actually loose - if so, don't buy it unless it's going for a song! There is really no way to check the state of the engine's internals without a strip down - you don't have an oil pressure gauge; the most invaluable device ever invented for engines.

An even better machine, as long as you are not in a hurry to get anywhere. I love my Model 50 so much that I've spent nine years trying to put together another one.

Good luck...

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans