Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Atlas or 650SS?

Forums

I sold my Commando last year after 7 years of eyewatering expense.

I am still interested in owning another Norton (although I swore I never would) and would be grateful for some guidance on which of these two members considrr have:

1. The better performance;

2. better relaibilty;

3. better spares availability.

I should also be grateful for some guidance on how each comapres in these respects to the 750 Commando, which I found beautiful to ride but shockingly unreliable at times and breathtakingly expensive to own and run.

I had comsidered the 961, but I have been put off by the problems which some members have reported.

Thanks very much

Charles

Some idea of the type of usage you intend would help, But you will find it hard to go back 10 years in standards.If I were contemplating it I would consider a switch to a 90 degree crank and better front brake on an Atlas which would give better spares availability.

Atlas or 650? Much of a muchness really, after all the Atlas is just an overbored 650. As for reliability and running expenses, let's say when it came to the crunch,my Mk 3 Interstate was sold and the Atlas kept. Much simpler to maintain and it just keeps going and going. Yes, a bad one will vibrate more than a good one but that applies to all Dominators to a greater or lesser degree.

Bear in mind that an old bike is only as good as its last rebuild so find out as much as you can about any potential purchase and have a good test ride too.

I love my ATLAS - i've owned a few brit bikes in the past incl a Triton and everyone says ATLASs' vibrate - my view is no more than most - and the speed i'm riding at its not a problem. The raw power still astonishes me and with that featherbed and roadholders you just have to hang on and let the bike do the tricky stuff. I think you'd do just as well with either - 650ss or ATLAS - go for it !

Previously charles_scouller wrote:

I am still interested in owning another Norton (although I swore I never would) and would be grateful for some guidance on which of these two members considrr have:

2. better relaibilty;

I should also be grateful for some guidance on how each comapres in these respects to the 750 Commando, which I found beautiful to ride but shockingly unreliable at times and breathtakingly expensive to own and run.

I had comsidered the 961, but I have been put off by the problems which some members have reported.

Thanks very much

Charles

charles.

sorry to hear you,ve had a bad experience with your 750 commando.and you ask for advice in comparing it with a 750 atlas. in my opinion the atlas falls short when compaired to a commando.a well built atlas is a good bike but they do vibrate.

a well sorted commando is smooth and the spares are easy to get and not to expensive.

i agree with gordon a bike is only as good as the last rebuild.

i,ve had my 850 commando 26yrs built the engine twice. all the parts are still avaliable.the disc brake models stop better.[after a few mods]

i,ve owned a 650ss over 30yrs.same engine as a commando but smaller and the handlebars tingle at 70mph but still better than a atlas.

my 650ss has the same rocker oil feed as a commando.electronic ignition as the commando and belt drive as the commando.

if you want classic 1960s look.and good steering get a dominator.smoother than a atlas.and you can make a dommi run as good as a commando.but some vibration.500cc is less vibration

if you want to do long miles a 850 commando is best.you can make these bikes fairly reliable.[don,t know why your wasn,t.]

[there are poeple in this club who can advice you with technical issues.] don,t be put off by your recent bad luck.

if you want to do high mileage get a 850 commando.not to say the smaller twins won,t do high mileage.but its easyer on a 850.

the choice is yours.

Previously charles_scouller wrote:

2. better relaibilty;

Thanks very much

Charles

there is only one model that was Built in Bracebridge street shops that was in a class of its own, and now Extremelty rare, that was The early 650 Norton Manxman . My one been very relable and has lots of power what a machnie they built of the USA the luck guys and girls that bought them only less than 600 ever built world wide , now only some 40 or so have come to light, so the hard to find, , but the smoothest 650 i have riden as a female its just the bike for me, can not get better even now, yours anna j

I have owned and ridden Norton big twins for 40 plus years. In this time I have owned five Model 99s, three 650's, three Atlas's and a 750 Commando. My collection now is just the Commando and a 650 in cafe race style.

The Commando is great for long runs and I use it for all the out of UK rallies I attend. However, it is a pig to work, on compared to a standard Atlas. All my 99's were great bikes, as well, but when pulling 14 stone and full camping gear up big hills, such as the Alps, they all struggled.

I liked the performance of the 650 but each of them drank petrol and burned oil. So my recommendation would be the Atlas but with a few mods. Fit a single carb, electronic ignition, a 20 tooth gearbox sprocket and get the crankshaft properly balanced. This will give you a smoother running engine and cruising speed of 70mph at just over 4000rpm. OK..... it is not in the Commando league for least vibration but surprises many people as to what can be achieved.

Spares Barrels / pistons must be a consideration , 750 stuff must be easier to get.Look around for 650 barrels,

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans