Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

961 new seat

961 owners will know the seat padding is somewhat 'minimalist'.

I recently had Les of Saddlecraft Seating, (01914 556262) make me up a new seat.

The cunning Les method of working out how thick you want to go with the padding is to layer up newspaper to a height you are happy with, then measure it. My seat may look a bit high to some, but I do have long legs.

The seat also has a built in gel pad, the mix made to his own formula.

Comfort has been transformed from the original factory seat, you have to experience it to believe it.

Just the job for those of you riding to Italy. I did see some brave owner was threatening to ride a Dominator there - I'm sure a temporary base only pad could be Velcro-ed (is that a word?) or otherwise fixed onto the smear of neoprene the factory provide.

Happy riding,

Roger

Attachments wp_20160107_001-jpg

Hi Roger That was me intending to ride the Dominator. I may have to use a Gel Seat pad for the journey but I am sure many will be interested in re working the original and building a gel pad in. Did you have to go to South Shields, as I think that is where Saddlecarft are based, for the fitting? The photo looks excellent!

Hi Graham

When I had my 961 seat made, I just sent Les a spare base I got fromNorton, and he did the rest. I think his longer term plan is to supply seats complete with the base, as a direct replacement for 961 Commando's.

My original plan was to buy a Dominator SS to add to my 961SF, so I put my name down for one. At the launch I found out at 6' odd I couldn't fit on the bike comfortably, as the seat is so short. Looked at modifying it , but in the end got Norton to build a 961SF 'special' with painted alloy tank, Dominator paint on the tail end, and black airbox. I added ceramic coating to the exhausts, and the seat from Les. Still have a few more mod's to do soon.

As your bike does not have a separate seat pad, I would give Les a ring and discuss your options. If it was my bike I would strip the neoprene off, use the clean carbon base as a mould for a simple glass-fibre base, and get Les to make up a new seat, with decent padding and gel-pad to the horizontal area, but keeping the back end slim, so you don't lose seat area. Assuming there is access from under your carbon tail, retaining bolts or captive nuts could easily be cast into the new seat moulding.

Roger

Hi Roger Sorry to be crass but what sort of money was your seat? There are several people on the Access Norton site interested.

Previously roger_hainsworth wrote:

Hi Graham

When I had my 961 seat made, I just sent Les a spare base I got fromNorton, and he did the rest. I think his longer term plan is to supply seats complete with the base, as a direct replacement for 961 Commando's.

My original plan was to buy a Dominator SS to add to my 961SF, so I put my name down for one. At the launch I found out at 6' odd I couldn't fit on the bike comfortably, as the seat is so short. Looked at modifying it , but in the end got Norton to build a 961SF 'special' with painted alloy tank, Dominator paint on the tail end, and black airbox. I added ceramic coating to the exhausts, and the seat from Les. Still have a few more mod's to do soon.

As your bike does not have a separate seat pad, I would give Les a ring and discuss your options. If it was my bike I would strip the neoprene off, use the clean carbon base as a mould for a simple glass-fibre base, and get Les to make up a new seat, with decent padding and gel-pad to the horizontal area, but keeping the back end slim, so you don't lose seat area. Assuming there is access from under your carbon tail, retaining bolts or captive nuts could easily be cast into the new seat moulding.

Roger

Hi Roger

I'm with you the Domi would murder some of my joints,I got a Sport and added factory parts, carbon everything bar end mirrors and the polished alloy tank (I'm waiting to get it pin striped) the next thing I'm planning is to refurb the seat as my bike is for riding. As I like to keep everything Norton do you know if Les makes the standard seats for the factory ?

Terry

Graham / Terry

To answer both questions,

The seat was £150, inc return post.

I don't know if Les makes the original seats for Norton, you would have to ask him. The seat I had made was in a carbon effect vinyl, which matches the rest of the bike, but he can make a seat in any colour or material you want.

Roger

Hi there, Just spoke to Les who as you said was very helpful. I just wondered if Roger could post a picture of his seat for us all to look at? It would certainly help me decide. Cheers Steve

Previously roger_hainsworth wrote:

Steven

A picture is attached on the first posting at the top of this thread.

Regards

Roger

Apologies Roger - I did not look properly!! Doh! I will definetely be going down this route!

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans