Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

850 Commando smoking on left cylinder

Forums

Hi all,

Can anyone help out on this problem.I recently bought a Commando 850 thatsmokes on the left cylinder only

The smoke is blue so i think oil is getting in the cylinder,I disconnectedthe rocker feed and took her out for a few miles and the smoke stopped almostcompletely so I suspected the problem was in the head not the bores.next usingthe rope trick I fitted a new valve stem oil seal to the left cylinder,took thebike out and the smoke has reduced a little,but not as much as when the feedwas disconnected.the valves and guides seem quite good,can anyone think how theoil is entering could it be from the pushrod tube past the head gasket anyideas at all would help

Thanks Steve

Hi Stephen, I'm a novice to these engines, however if fitting new oil seal(I'm assuming to inlet only) semi cured the problem; does this not suggest that both valve guides are worn on that side and some oil is still going down the exhaust valve guide.

The left hand cylinder has the most to deal with if a bike has been standing on the side-stand but if there is oil coming from the head and it isn't between valve and guide then there is a good chance that the guide is loose in the head. This is not exactly unknown on Commando engines and the only cure is to remove the head and fit an oversize guide.

Thanks for the replies,the inlet valve does not appear to be loose or suffering from wear the old valve stem seal was quite slack on the valve.the new one is a nice tight fit,so i will do the rope trick again and check the exhaust guide for wear will keep you updated any one else any ideas

regards Steve

The gas flow past the exhaust valve will draw any oil out of the exhaust pipe but should not draw oil down the guide like it does on the inlet valve. Try running the bike with the valve covers off and see if there is an excess of oil through the rocker feed system. The rocker spindles need to have the flats pointing away from the push rod end of the rocker to avoid over oiling. You may have one or more the wrong way round.

The guide does not have to be loose to pass oil. Poor mechanics can score the head when replacing guides. Oil then runs down the outside of an apparently tight guide. The correct Loctite product (I forget the number) will quickly fix this and not prevent future easy removal of the guide.

Hi Dave,i have checked the spindles and the flats are pointing to the valves so they are correctly fitted.when you say an excess of oil is there a way to regulate the flow ? regards Steve.

Update on smoking commando it appears i it was the valve stem seal the smoke has virtually gone it must have been burning the residual oil in the exhaust.if anyone needs a loan of the tools to change the valve stem oil seal without removing the head please contact me

thanks for all your replies

There is no way to regulate the flow to the rockers unless you put a restrictor in the line. The valve spindles the correct way round effectively create that restriction.

Hi Stephen glad your sorted. A photo of the tools you used would be nice. I searched on google images for valve spring compressors the other week and I had no idea there were so many different ideas. Some of the photos of tools looked as though you might be able to do the job without the rope.

Hi Keith,it is much easier with the rope, it gives you more control.I saw the idea on the nett they advocated a tool to hold the valve up,and a piece of wire to fish it out if it drops in to far with the rope you have complete control so it is better .

try looking for Ludwigs rocker removal on the nett on access Norton it shows you how to make the valve spring tool,i used 100mm x 3 mm stainless flat bar buy on ebay a fiver

use a 7mm bolt with nuts as cycle thread is very hard to find

i did both valves in 2 hrs

regards Steve

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans