Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

750 Atlas Re-build

Total rookie here fellas, so please bare with me!  Doing my first complete bike re-build, wife said I needed a hobby?! When re-building engine, other than obvious worn or damaged looking parts, what else should be replaced rule of thumb. Rings, valves, obviously gaskets and seals, maybe springs, etc...... Bike was running before being stored 10 years ago, approx 20k on engine  

Appreciate the help!!

Do you have any reason to suspect the engine needs to be stripped down?  A quick way to end up with a permanent box of bits is to dive in and take things apart for no good reason.  I would drain the sump (it will probably be full of oil from the tank), replace the filter (if it has one), check tappet clearances, fill the oil tank, squirt some oil down the pushrod tubes, and get it going.  After it settles down you will get an idea of the state inside.  Don't cure a smoking engine unless the engine smokes.  Nor replace bearings unless they need replacing.

What you do with cosmetics  including oil leaks, will be up to you.

Other opinions will no doubt appear.  But a running bike is better than a basket case.  And if it presents problems, they'll appear when it starts being used.  Then you'll put your effort into something worthwhile.

Good luck.  And go along to your local Branch.

Agree with David. Replacement parts are mostly aftermarket and sometimes  very inferior to orriginal. fitment. And not unknown to cause expensive damage. Throw nothing away. You may need to re-fit it or use as pattern. Unless you have experience with these motors you are likely to have a steep and expensive learning curve with no bike to ride for months. 

All good advice above! The carbs will need a good clean, ensuring all passages are clear of old petrol gunk. Replace any hoses and seals with ones that are E10 resistant to minimise the effect of ethanol. Robert is right, keep everything for reference and check dimensions of new parts against old parts before fitting. Also take plenty of photographs during the process, both in situ and in order of dismantling on a bench. If you decide to take components apart, keep all the parts in order, egg boxes are handy for this. Clean, inspect and respray/polish parts that you refit at the dismantling stage - it makes the assembly much faster and more satisfying…

My advice is if it aint broke don't fix it. These old engines are tough as nails. Get the old oil out, clean the carbs and the inside of the oil tank, check the tappet clearances, fit some new plugs and make sure the ignition timing is correct and fire her up! If the oil is returning to the tank and it doesn't sound like a bag of nails it's a good un.

I did just that with my Atlas which had sat untouched and unloved for 50 years! It fired up on the second kick and it's been going strong ever since.

Attachments

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans