Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650SS tool list

Forums

Hi everyone hope you are all well,

just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a tool list for the 650ss

finally saved up a bit to get some tool but been reading my maintenance manual and it doesn't actually mention what size sockets and spanners I need to cover most things in the bike

has anyone got a complete list of what covers the bike?

what's everyone found they use size wise also are all the bolts whit worth or is there a mixture on the bike?

many thanks in advance,

Tom

Tom, practically all the bolts and nuts have Whitworth sized heads,[not threads],but I would suggest that a set of metric and sae sockets and combo spanners are much cheaper,only a couple of bucks for good quality tools. They will fit practically all the fittings on your bike excepting one or two smaller sizes. Also get a set of cheap quarter drive single hex sockets, as you will have to grind down the od on some sockets, for instance to fit inner gearbox nuts. Single hex will fit out of size without any problems.Alternatively spend a fortune on Britool or some other traditional brand and still have to grind down some od s.Later bikes of course have all unified fittings,which is why there so popular.Regards John.

Previously wrote:

Tom, practically all the bolts and nuts have Whitworth sized heads,[not threads],but I would suggest that a set of metric and sae sockets and combo spanners are much cheaper,only a couple of bucks for good quality tools. They will fit practically all the fittings on your bike excepting one or two smaller sizes. Also get a set of cheap quarter drive single hex sockets, as you will have to grind down the od on some sockets, for instance to fit inner gearbox nuts. Single hex will fit out of size without any problems.Alternatively spend a fortune on Britool or some other traditional brand and still have to grind down some od s.Later bikes of course have all unified fittings,which is why there so popular.Regards John.

John is quite correct in theory but 50 years on there could be quite a mix of threads and sizes thanks to the ministrations of previous owners. My Atlas cafe racer has just about the lot - Whit, AF, metric, BA and who knows what. Lucky I've got plenty of spanners :)

Cheers

Alan

Quite right, Alan. My father had British bikes all his life, all he had were two tube spanners, a pair of pliers, a shifter and a hammer and chisel. The hammer and chisel got the most use. Every time I see a sprocket nut thats been chiselled off I think of him.What do you need all those tools for? he used to say , these ll do me. Regards John.

Thanks everyone just been doing a bit of work on it turns out theres a loooad of metric bolts on the frame parts so jobs a gooden will be buying some wit and af stuff for the engine though :) loving the bike its really starting to look good after days of cleaning haha

Thanks,

Tom

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans