Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650SS chain length

Forums

Hi,

Can anybody advise me the correct chain length for a 1968 Norton 650ss ? The bike I am restoring has a chain length of 96 links but I do not know if this is original or has previously been altered. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Most of the manuals say 97 links (one says 98) for either 1/4" or 3/8" width rear chains. This is with standard sprockets. 19T Gearbox and 43T Rear Drum.

If you have a 96 link rear chain then either you are running a 42 Rear Drum Sprocket (early Commando) or a smaller Engine Sprocket.

Your engine sprocket should be 21T.

Previously Phil Hannam wrote:

Most of the manuals say 97 links (one says 98) for either 1/4" or 3/8" width rear chains. This is with standard sprockets. 19T Gearbox and 43T Rear Drum.

If you have a 96 link rear chain then either you are running a 42 Rear Drum Sprocket (early Commando) or a smaller Engine Sprocket.

Thanks for the information, I think 97 sounds about right.

Previously Phil Hannam wrote:

Well my Norton 650 has a 22T on the engine and a 20T on the gearbox for motorway runing crusing speed around 85 to 90 and rolling off the pilot jet , not reach top speed yet, we did see 110 at one point and that was just a bip on the thottle just to get out of the way of some TIRs so I could turn in J36 M62 these 650s are fast bikes, and the chain I use are D.I.D 520 japanese chains are some of the best , get 110 links then you can get your lenghts right , and you can get half links too if you need them have a good chain link splitter and chain link fastern too and D.I.D do coloured chain grease too !

Previously Neil Wyatt wrote:

Or you could go the whole way and put a Renold on there!

BUT Renold are Now Made In France and there not the same !AS the UK made Renolds Chain , The Japanese are ten time better than Renolds I have been using them for years if ther was a good British Motorcycle chain maker I would for one be buying there products

Yours Anna J

Would also recommend Andy (chain Man) to supply chains, recently purchased IWIS chain from him for my Atlas this was supplied with half link fitted to give correct length of 97 links. He has vast experience of chain drives and is always willing to help.

John

Previously anna jeannette Dixon wrote:
Previously Neil Wyatt wrote:

Or you could go the whole way and put a Renold on there!

BUT Renold are Now Made In France and there not the same !AS the UK made Renolds Chain , The Japanese are ten time better than Renolds I have been using them for years if ther was a good British Motorcycle chain maker I would for one be buying there products

Yours Anna J

Also there is Elite classic chains and TVH chain they do a 520. 110 links a 520 is the same has 5/8x1/4 witch was used right up too 1962 even on the 650 Manxman and 650 standard and De-lux Models then the 650SS for the UK market, hope this help

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans