Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650SS carb set up

Forums

I'm a novice on here, but am having difficulty setting up the twin monoblocs on a '63 650ss. Has anyone got any tips on how to adjust the l/h carb with the engine running? It seems to be almost impossible to access the pilot air screw as the r/h carb is in the way. The only way I can get to it is by removing the inlet balance pipe with the engine stopped. Am I missing something or is a special tool needed. Many thanks in advance.

Previously steve_chesson wrote:

I'm a novice on here, but am having difficulty setting up the twin monoblocs on a '63 650ss. Has anyone got any tips on how to adjust the l/h carb with the engine running? It seems to be almost impossible to access the pilot air screw as the r/h carb is in the way. The only way I can get to it is by removing the inlet balance pipe with the engine stopped. Am I missing something or is a special tool needed. Many thanks in advance.

well you do not need any special tools just a small tanks to hag on the bars . you have to take off you tank and fit this small tanks then you can start the bike first ajust the throtle cable ajuster so you have some slack in them then screw both side stop ajuter screws out, then take out the rigth hand spark plug then start the bike so its runing on left hand side carb and ajust the stop screw first then the air screw by turning the screw in or out so you hear the engine note speed up or die down once you got this done something like a fast tick over stop the bike and do the same to the other side the right, when you got this done you need to start the engine on both plugs so you have and engine runing fast then with the stop screws turn donw or out the engine note should die down to a tick over, now once you then done this you can then take up the slack in the trottel cable by the ajustment at the top of the carbs but you need two carburretors to be in good order and not worn , or you never get good tick over, and the runing not good, but in our day twin carbs are not need anymore a good singel carb its just as good, and gives more MPG yours Anna j

The single carb conversion just uses one of your existing carbs with no changes. Leaves you with a handy spare!

If you want to try a new carb then it's a Mk 1 Amal, RHs tickle. 30mm. Fits the same but the new ones are Ethanol proof, at least @ 5%.

Don't forget an Ethanol proof hose too or better still, turn off your fuel before you stop and run the hose and carb dry.

Previously steve_chesson wrote:

Thanks for the info Anna. If converting to single carb, which type and model would you recommend?

Well you need a Amal monobloc 389/17 with a 310or 320 main jet and a 3.1/2 cutaway side a 106 needle pos 3 and two in one inlet manifold you lose you top speed but you still get up to 110 mph , if you need it, but you gain more acceleration and more bottom end grunt , so its swings and roundabouts , yours anna j

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans