Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650SS cam timing

Forums

Can someone provide me with the cam timing data for a 1963 650 SS please? The engine runs, but not so well - it is chucking wet fuel vapour back out of the intakes so I suspect incorrect valve timing.I have looked for the timing maks on the timing wheels but these are not readily visible.

Ps. Subsequent to the above, I have now removed the sprockets etc and cleaned them thoroughly. I can now seea feint etchingon the cam sprocket adjacent to the keyway which I assume is a timing mark. I have also discovered a small centre-punched mark on the intermediate sprocket (almost diametricly opposite the obvious timing mark on its integral gear wheel) and I reckon this must be the other marking I am seeking.Can anyone confirm this is correct, please?

Thanks - Clive

Previously clive_rickman wrote:

Can someone provide me with the cam timing data for a 1963 650 SS please? The engine runs, but not so well - it is chucking wet fuel vapour back out of the intakes so I suspect incorrect valve timing.I have looked for the timing maks on the timing wheels but these are not readily visible.

Ps. Subsequent to the above, I have now removed the sprockets etc and cleaned them thoroughly. I can now seea feint etchingon the cam sprocket adjacent to the keyway which I assume is a timing mark. I have also discovered a small centre-punched mark on the intermediate sprocket (almost diametricly opposite the obvious timing mark on its integral gear wheel) and I reckon this must be the other marking I am seeking.Can anyone confirm this is correct, please?

Thanks - Clive

Hello there are 4 punch marks one on the cam sprocket and one on the intermediate sprocket and to the the crankshaft punch mark you have too remove the worm drive mind you it a left hand thread and you have to then remove all the rocker covers and outer primary cover too and then find TDC for the drive side or left hand cylinder all valves closed on drive side only , now look at the two bottom crankshaft punch marks one on the bottom of the intermediate gear /sprocket and one on the Crankshaft gear, these two meet up or mesh together now dab a spot of white paint on these so you can see them ok , now the sprockets intermediate and cam sprockets punch marks now should be at 11.o'clock and six outer links showing now as for chain tension you need around a 1/4 inch slack these chains do not run tight, now you done this you valves now should be set, but if you like to check it with a timing disc your setting are 50/77/82/42 this is for 650 manxman to sports special have fun yours anna j

I'd suggest type "how can I check if timing is wrong?" in the message search box above.Phil (who'll probably pop up shortly) posted a very useful picture of the timing sprockets - not the one in the usual books.Take care - behind the first chainwheel is a hardened washer that can all to easily slip out if (like mine) the shaft is no longer jammed tight in place and moves forwards when the timing cover is removed.

Anna forgot to mention that you will need one of these... no doubt other makes are available; or a cut-down spare timing cover, in order to keep everything in line for chain tensioning etc.

Previously ian_cordes wrote:

Anna forgot to mention that you will need one of these... no doubt other makes are available; or a cut-down spare timing cover, in order to keep everything in line for chain tensioning etc.

Why buy one from Norvil when you can make one out of plywood in no time all you need is a good black&decker jigsaw as long has you cover the locating pegs then later you can make another out of alloy sheet 4 mm with the plywood has a patient Sometimes I wonder if you guys have any brains

Yours anna J

Anna. Don't be so rude! I wasn't saying you buy one from Norvil, was I? I said you need it, or something else like it which will do the job, such as a cut-down timing cover. To make the tool out of ply you have to be absolutely precise with all the hole spacings etc. Not everyone can do that. You want to engage your brain before you engage your mouth, or typing finger, sometimes, Anna. That last sentence was uncalled for.

Just to clarify Clive, how has this fault come about? Have you,or a n other just rebuilt the engine?

I have recently acquired the machine in complete condition but with no detailed history. I know it has been stored for 20 or so years by the previous owner and he never fired it up! Not sure of the competence of former mechanics as I have discovered, amongst other things, a number of stripped theads and the absence of the oil pump gasket! I have spent some time working on the bike in order to get it in a conditon for running. As I said earlier, it will run, but it is a little reluctant to pick up and wet vapour is expelled through the bell mouths. Seems likely, to me, that the valve timing is incorrect. I now have stripped the timing gear and all of the timing marks are clear, other than the one on the cam sprocket though there is a feint marking close to the keyway and I am assuming this is the one I seek. Having reassembled the gear train, I would like to be clear that the timing is correct before I button it up. Anna has provided me with the timing data so I'll check with those.

Thanks for your interest - Clive

Previously anna jeannette Dixon wrote:

Thanks - Clive

Hello there are 4 punch marks one on the cam sprocket and one on the intermediate sprocket and to the the crankshaft punch mark you have too remove the worm drive mind you it a left hand thread and you have to then remove all the rocker covers and outer primary cover too and then find TDC for the drive side or left hand cylinder all valves closed on drive side only , now look at the two bottom crankshaft punch marks one on the bottom of the intermediate gear /sprocket and one on the Crankshaft gear, these two meet up or mesh together now dab a spot of white paint on these so you can see them ok , now the sprockets intermediate and cam sprockets punch marks now should be at 11.o'clock and six outer links showing now as for chain tension you need around a 1/4 inch slack these chains do not run tight, now you done this you valves now should be set, but if you like to check it with a timing disc your setting are 50/77/82/42 this is for 650 manxman to sports special have fun yours anna j

Thanks for this Anna. I presume the timing figures apply as follows:

Inlet opens 50 BTDC closes 77 ABDC

Ex opens 82 BBDC closes 42 ATDC

I'd be grateful if you could confirm. Thanks - Clive

Clive. According to my manual, the correct valve timing is as follows :- 50/74/82/42.... that is with .016" clearance using a .003" feeler.

TBH, if you have a manual, you wouldn't need to be asking these questions.

Fuel vapour appearing near the carb intakes is caused by the overlap of the camshaft timing. ie. the inlet valves are beginning to open while the cylinder is still exhausting used gases. This leads to a slight blowback through the carb. The SS camshaft will do this.......the earlier standard Dommie cams not so much.

Attachments showing sprocket timing as suggested by DC. Plus DIY Timing Disk. I just printed off my copy onto stiff card.

Attachments DegreeWheel.bmp timing-gear-dots-positions-bmp

Previously Phil Hannam wrote:

Fuel vapour appearing near the carb intakes is caused by the overlap of the camshaft timing. ie. the inlet valves are beginning to open while the cylinder is still exhausting used gases. This leads to a slight blowback through the carb. The SS camshaft will do this.......the earlier standard Dommie cams not so much.

Attachments showing sprocket timing as suggested by DC. Plus DIY Timing Disk. I just printed off my copy onto stiff card.

Hello yes good drawing but you must do the timing from the DRIVE SIDE Cylinder or the left hand side cylinder

Thanks - Clive

Thanks for this Anna. I presume the timing figures apply as follows:

Inlet opens 50 BTDC closes 74 ABDC

Ex opens 82 BBDC closes 42 ATDC

I'd be grateful if you could confirm. Thanks - Clive

Hello yes this is correct valve timing

Anna. Don't be so rude! I wasn't saying you buy one from Norvil, was I? I said you need it, or something else like it which will do the job, such as a cut-down timing cover. To make the tool out of ply you have to be absolutely precise with all the hole spacings etc. Not everyone can do that. You want to engage your brain before you engage your mouth, or typing finger, sometimes, Anna. That last sentence was uncalled for.

Hello well its was not meant in that way its was meant in a jovial way If you cannot take the heat get out of the kitchen Has they say, you grumpy bikers !!! yours anna J

Clive. According to my manual, the correct valve timing is as follows :- 50/74/82/42.... that is with .016" clearance using a .003" feeler.

TBH, if you have a manual, you wouldn't need to be asking these questions.

Thanks for the data, Ian and for the comment on the lack of a manual. I have manuals for dozens of machines, including the Commando but, alas, none for the 650 ss. It is on my purchase list but, in the meantime, I hoped some kind person out there could furnish me with the info I need and, indeed, they have! Clive

Thanks for the help, Phil. Are you suggesting that one would expect that the SS camshaft will exhibit this behaviour and there is not a lot one can do? I know that when the valve timing 'slipped' on my Velo (through the cam rotating in its gearwheel) I observed a similar phenomenom and suffered a noticable loss in power. Clive

Phil. I have to say that my 650SS has never displayed such symptoms.

Clive. Regarding manuals, yes, I have stacks, too. However, I wouldn't dream of attacking valve timing without first consulting one. The option of going on line hoping to get correct answers comes a poor 2nd to that. A manual makes a good read, and provides questions and answers. Without one, you have to know which questions to ask. Also, you are reliant on the accuracy of the on-line answers. For example, Anna has given you one set of valve timings, I, via my manual, have given you another. Which do you choose? I have now triple-checked from other sources for you, and that backs up my valve timings. Anna is well known for her inaccurate keyboard work; just check her posts.

Anna; yes, I forgot, you are from Yorkshire, and call a spade a spade; silly me.smiley

If you look in your Commando manual you will see the same valve timing method being described by everyone here. The timing marks are the same. The valve timing cannot slip on a Norton twin due to the Woodruff keys so if your timing marks are meshing and you have 10 chain pins between cam wheel mark and intermediate sprocket mark, your valve timing has to be right.

Thanks, Jonathan. I have plenty of experience working on Brit iron and I know how to go about the task - indeed I have done this on numerous occasions with Commando engines. I just wanted the valve timing data so that I am able to verify the set-up is correct, particularly as one timing mark is indistinct. Clive

Clive. Regarding manuals, yes, I have stacks, too. However, I wouldn't dream of attacking valve timing without first consulting one. The option of going on line hoping to get correct answers comes a poor 2nd to that. A manual makes a good read, and provides questions and answers. Without one, you have to know which questions to ask. Also, you are reliant on the accuracy of the on-line answers. For example, Anna has given you one set of valve timings, I, via my manual, have given you another. Which do you choose? I have now triple-checked from other sources for you, and that backs up my valve timings. Anna is well known for her inaccurate keyboard work; just check her posts.

Anna; yes, I forgot, you are from Yorkshire, and call a spade a spade; silly me.smiley

Ian

You are right, of course. It rather depends, though, on the accuracy and 'completeness' of the manual's content. I have noticed numerous errors in some of these more generic publications and cases where the model in question is not even covered (so buy the genuine article, eh)? It is also useful to consult real users who have real experience with the idiosyncracies of the type. Isn't that one of the benefits of being a member of NOC?

Clive. Don't get e wrong; I didn't mean it as a criticism, although my initial comment on the manual may have sounded a bit brusque. This can be a problem with forums (fora?), e-mails, txt's etc, They do not necessarily convey the sender's meaning. A bit like Anna calling us numpties, no-brains etc.... she would have us believe she is smiling benignly at us whilst typing randomly and lobbing out the insults!

Fortunately we are well served with manuals for our Norton twins, readily available from numerous sources. Andover Norton, RGM, Norman White, Norvil, Mick Hemmings etc can all send us 'genuine' Norton manuals, as well as, of course, being able to source originals on e-bay, or even from the previous owner when he sells you the bike, if you are lucky.BMS is another one who has a huge variety available.That is not to say that original manuals are error free, and that applies to all sorts of makes, as witnessed by typo's, incorrect part numbers occasionally, etc etc. Despite that, I still think that best advice to anybody who becomes the proud owner of a new-to-them old bike, is to get a manual, and a parts book, if available. I actually enjoy reading them, trying to get under the skin of the new p&j, in my case recently an iron-head T110.

The job you are tackling has several pitfalls one could stumble into, and having the manual spread out beside you is beneficial. However, you have just mentioned that you have done it on Commando's, so no prob's.

Well thank you for that! and My Valve timing is 100% accurate has there for the Norton Manxman 650 Has its the machine had the first high lift cam profile inherited from the Norton ManX 500 Devised By one Leo Kosmicki development race engineer, So then the real name for this high lift camshaft is the Manxman camshaft number 22729 and NOT the SS camshaft , !!!!!! yours Anna J

Clive. Don't get e wrong; I didn't mean it as a criticism, although my initial comment on the manual may have sounded a bit brusque. This can be a problem with forums (fora?), e-mails, txt's etc, They do not necessarily convey the sender's meaning. A bit like Anna calling us numpties, no-brains etc.... she would have us believe she is smiling benignly at us whilst typing randomly and lobbing out the insults!

Fortunately we are well served with manuals for our Norton twins, readily available from numerous sources. Andover Norton, RGM, Norman White, Norvil, Mick Hemmings etc can all send us 'genuine' Norton manuals, as well as, of course, being able to source originals on e-bay, or even from the previous owner when he sells you the bike, if you are lucky.BMS is another one who has a huge variety available.That is not to say that original manuals are error free, and that applies to all sorts of makes, as witnessed by typo's, incorrect part numbers occasionally, etc etc. Despite that, I still think that best advice to anybody who becomes the proud owner of a new-to-them old bike, is to get a manual, and a parts book, if available. I actually enjoy reading them, trying to get under the skin of the new p&j, in my case recently an iron-head T110.

The job you are tackling has several pitfalls one could stumble into, and having the manual spread out beside you is beneficial. However, you have just mentioned that you have done it on Commando's, so no prob's.

Correction i have not called anyone a Numpties so do not put words in I have not said, and No Brains mean to me you not using them in a creative and imaginative way and only stating the obvious, like running to a Norton parts dealer, when you can save time buy make up something simple has a holding plate from the intermediate shaft , lets not fall out over this, yours Anna J ,

My Valve timing is 100% accurate has there for the Norton Manxman 650 ...... NOT the SS camshaft , !!!!!! yours Anna J

In which case, Anna, you gave Clive valve timing for the wrong bike; his is a 650SS.........

Dear Manx Maid - You're confusing people again. The Manxman had the same camshaft as the 88SS, 99SS and 650SS. So the valve timing figures quoted are correct for Clives purpose. The same figures also apply to the Atlas, Mercury and first Commandos. Regards, Howard

Previously howard_robinson wrote:

Dear Manx Maid - You're confusing people again. The Manxman had the same camshaft as the 88SS, 99SS and 650SS. So the valve timing figures quoted are correct for Clives purpose. The same figures also apply to the Atlas, Mercury and first Commandos. Regards, Howard

No I am not confusing anyone the Norton Manxman 650 was built before the Model 88SS and 99SS and the 650SS and all these motor cycles use the engine parts from the Norton Manxman including the Camshaft ,Has the Norton Manxman was Built from November 7th 1960 to September 1961 from then on it was demoted to a 650 Standard and De-luxe And 650SS and crankcases push rods cam followers and camshaft valves and springs were all use from the Norton Manxman ON the model *88SS and 99SS these two models were built from April 1961 . So this is the time line of these models yours Anna J

Hello Members

I always treat what the manx rider and owner Anna says with the greatest respect her knowledge is second to none and gives out her knowledge with a great freedom . The manx man fron Cosmo shop has been sold but I am trying to get a 62 650ss

John

Previously john_rogers1 wrote:

Hello Members

I always treat what the manx rider and owner Anna says with the greatest respect her knowledge is second to none and gives out her knowledge with a great freedom . The manx man fron Cosmo shop has been sold but I am trying to get a 62 650ss

John

Well I do know were there is more Norton Manxman's for sale in the USA

Dominator & Commando Valve Timing Data. See attachment.

Hello Camshaft 22729 was first Fitted to the Norton Manxman 650 in November 1960 . its in my parts manual with the valve timing of 50/74/79/42 they used this camshaft right up to the Commando, in 1967 to 1970 so my earlier data was right yours Anna J

I am looking at a advert for a 650ss for just under £8,000 . It looks pretty good and I hope to go and see it in 3 weeks I just hope it is still there. So I am looking at all the topics on the 650 ss. Good luck Clive with your timing question

john

Ian, I have now set up the timing gear in the specified manner (using the timing marks and 10 chain roller spacing). Because the engine was previously not running well I checked the valve duration with a timing disc having first set valve clearances to 0.016" (and used a 0.003" feeler gauge to determine opening and closing).

The figures I used were the ones you suggested, ieInlet opens 50' BTDC, closes 74' ABDC and Exhaust opens 82' BBDC, closes 42' ATDC.

The results I got were so unexpected that I carried out the procedure for a second time and got the same figures. They were as follows:

Left side. In opens 48' BTDC, closes 67' ABDC. Ex opens 59' BBDC, closes 39' ATDC

Right side. In opens 61' BTDC, closes 71' ABDC. Ex 83' BBDC, closes 62' ATDC

Now the valve opening duration for both In and EX valves is the same, at 304', by my reckoning. However the duration measured on my engine varies from 278' up to 324' across the 4 valves. Bizzare!

I can only think the camshaft is not the standard item and/or the cam followers have varying radii. What else is there???

It looks like an engine strip is required. Clive

Clive. It doesn't look too promising, does it? I have attempted to attach data on most cams for Nortons, as supplied by RGM. I can only attach a low-res version; hope you can read it. Your cam is probably standard, but well worn, or as you say, a badly machined aftermarket version.

. RGM do point out that- quote - 'all specs are theoretical.None of the cams (they have) measured completely match the quoted figures, there is a margin of error in the manufacture of a cam which is sometimes massive, errors of 10 degrees or more are commonplace. In any event, valves do not follow cam profiles in anything other than a theoretical manner, clearances, tolerances, and give in the valve train all combine to cause the valve movement to deviate from that dictated by the cam profile.'

That does not explain your deviation. It looks as though you need to pull it out and have a look.

Attachments norton-camshaft-data-low-res-jpg

Ian, I have now set up the timing gear in the specified manner (using the timing marks and 10 chain roller spacing). Because the engine was previously not running well I checked the valve duration with a timing disc having first set valve clearances to 0.016" (and used a 0.003" feeler gauge to determine opening and closing).

The figures I used were the ones you suggested, ieInlet opens 50' BTDC, closes 74' ABDC and Exhaust opens 82' BBDC, closes 42' ATDC.

The results I got were so unexpected that I carried out the procedure for a second time and got the same figures. They were as follows:

Left side. In opens 48' BTDC, closes 67' ABDC. Ex opens 59' BBDC, closes 39' ATDC

Now the valve opening duration for both In and EX valves is the same, at 304', by my reckoning. However the duration measured on my engine varies from 278' up to 324' across the 4 valves. Bizzare!

I can only think the camshaft is not the standard item and/or the cam followers have varying radii. What else is there???

Hello well Its not the right cam and time for a change, now try Steve Maney Middletown Near Wakefield west yorkshire he dose have a web site , hope this may help one! yours Anna J

It does sound as if you have a cam made in the far east!, Or perhaps worn. I can't imagine that the motor would perform well with these figures. I would also check that the followers are not loose or unevenly worn.

I will try a higher res. version, that one is not very clear.....

Thanks fort this, Ian!

I have a commando camshaft somewhere in my pile of parts and, once the existing one is on the bench, I'll compare the two to see whether this is compatible. From memory, I think it has a higher performance profile so not sure whether I'd want to fit it. We'll see...

Hello well Its not the right cam and time for a change, now try Steve Maney Middletown Near Wakefield west yorkshire he dose have a web site , hope this may help one! yours Anna J

Thanks for this, Anna!

I have a commando camshaft somewhere in my pile of parts and, once the existing one is on the bench, I'll compare the two to see whether this is compatible. From memory, I think it has a higher performance profile so not sure whether I'd want to fit it. We'll see...

Clive. The Commando camshafts are different, on the timing side end, with a rev-counter drive, so won't fit the Dommie.

It is not possible to tell what cam you have from your timings, as they are so different one to the other. I took a cam out of my Commando proddie racer which was so worn that the lobes were all different heights, and would probably have given strange results like yours.

Just a thought, did you have the intermediate shaft supported when you checked the timings; preferably not with a piece of plywood?! That may give false readings, if not?

The standard 650 cam is good, but if you are changing, it may be worth considering a PW3... others will no doubt contribute thoughts here....

Clive. The Commando camshafts are different, on the timing side end, with a rev-counter drive, so won't fit the Dommie.

It is not possible to tell what cam you have from your timings, as they are so different one to the other. I took a cam out of my Commando proddie racer which was so worn that the lobes were all different heights, and would probably have given strange results like yours.

Just a thought, did you have the intermediate shaft supported when you checked the timings; preferably not with a piece of plywood?! That may give false readings, if not?

The standard 650 cam is good, but if you are changing, it may be worth considering a PW3... others will no doubt contribute thoughts here....

Yes, I know the Commando cam shaft has a skew drive (and a receptor for the points) but wasn't sure whether these features would interfere with the set up. You have answered my question!

I know the intermediate shaft should, ideally, be supported although I didn't do this. However, I wouldn't expect such a huge variance with the expected figures even so!

Thanks for your input. Clive

I think the 650 still has the oil bath cam tunnel, which goes a long way in keeping the cam lubed. I would not think it worthwhile changing to another cam if it meant carving up the tunnel for clearance and losing this good feature.

I know the intermediate shaft should, ideally, be supported although I didn't do this. However, I wouldn't expect such a huge variance with the expected figures even so!

So many things could contribute to this, and one needs to eliminate as many variables as possible. The shaft will have been flopping around a bit as you turned the engine.....

Another factor could be worn camshaft bushes, which will cause the cam to flop around as well, affecting its function.

As far as the PW3 cam goes, there is, as Bob says, work to do to get it to fit, including opening out the oil bath trough a bit; checking valve to piston clearance etc. Depends what you want. As I said, the original cam was good enough right through to the Commando's, so is the safest bet really. I fitted a 4S cam in mine, which is good, giving plenty of grunt, but it too involves work as above.

So many things could contribute to this, and one needs to eliminate as many variables as possible. The shaft will have been flopping around a bit as you turned the engine.....

Another factor could be worn camshaft bushes, which will cause the cam to flop around as well, affecting its function.

As far as the PW3 cam goes, there is, as Bob says, work to do to get it to fit, including opening out the oil bath trough a bit; checking valve to piston clearance etc. Depends what you want. As I said, the original cam was good enough right through to the Commando's, so is the safest bet really. I fitted a 4S cam in mine, which is good, giving plenty of grunt, but it too involves work as above.

Hello well you really do not need a PW3 cam And hear why you have loads of work done for very little gain Has the PW3 cam only give you power at the top end of the rev range and for road bike a 650..No 22729 Manxman/SS Cam will be good over all the rev range its was good enough to win the Daytona and Pebble Beach in 1961, there are a number of engineering workshop that can reprofile your cam shaft and it will be better than a new one, RGM motors is one Steve Maney .SEP engineers another Kington Engineering hull good too , and there be many more out there if you get on the internet, anyway good luck with it all yours Anna J

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans