Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1974 Mk1 850 Commando Information please

Forums

Hi

I bought the above yesterday from a friend, complete and ben standing for around 30 years in a garage with no heating so you have an idea of what I have taken on, yes a total stripdown.

I have rebuilt a Commando before but that was 20 years ago and I still have a few of the bits around.

One being the the Commando Service notes by Al Osborn which basically tells you what to change on the bikes to make them more reliable. Can anybody tell me if they were revised?

Also I would like to see some of your pictures of standard bikes so I can check what I have, I am told its' an interstate, what's the difference between the two. From pictures I can find it looks like the tank seat and side panels are the difference.

Many thanks in advance.

The basic differences between a Roadster and an Interstate are the tanks. The Interstate has the large 4 plus gallon tank and the Roadster has a smaller 2.75 gallon unit.

There are differences with the seats, tanks and side covers as well such that they match the appropriate tanks.

I am sure that if there are more differences they will be noted here shortly.

Mike

The Andover Norton parts section is your best friend:

https://andover-norton.co.uk/en/shop-drawings/

Previously michael_sullivan wrote:

The basic differences between a Roadster and an Interstate are the tanks. The Interstate has the large 4 plus gallon tank and the Roadster has a smaller 2.75 gallon unit.

There are differences with the seats, tanks and side covers as well such that they match the appropriate tanks.

I am sure that if there are more differences they will be noted here shortly.

Mike

I'm sure if it's a mk1 it will be made in 73, the mk1 interstate has the huge over 6 gallon tank. I have one, imho the best of the breed

Mk1 850 ended production around August '73 after which it was the short production run Mk1A from September to about November (first noise control model with black end cap / bean can silencers plus oiled foam aircleaner in black moulded body) , with the Mk2 (USA export market batch) also being produced in parallel at this time. Mk2A (very similar to Mk1A except with smaller Interstate tank - about 22 litres instead of 26 / 27 litres odd) went into production very end of '73 and right through '74 into early '75 when the radically different Mk3 came out. Engine number on your bike will tell whether it was originally Mk1, Mk1A or Mk2A.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans