Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1964 650SS crankcase issues

Forums

Hello,

I have a few issues on the driveside crankcase around the crankshaft oilseal (see photos):-

On the outside of the casting

1. There are four small blind holes drilled in the casting around the oilseal, deformed out, presumably to retain the seal. Is this standard, a known repair or a bodge? How best to get the seal out?

2. There are two screws, presumably to aid removal of theouter bearinghousing or adjust endfloat. Is this standard, a known repair or a bodge?

3. The casting around the seal has a lot of porosity.

On the inside of the casting

4. There is a crack, I think caused by hammering the four small holes. Is this common and need i repair it?

I would be grateful of anyone elses experience on this before I try toremove the seal and outer bearing and any thoughts on who can be trusted to repair it?

Cheers, Andy

Attachments 2014_02_17-drive-case-inner-jpg 2014_02_17-drive-case-outer-jpg

The 4 small holes would appear to stem from an effort to retain the seal in position. the two holes with screws are probably from a clumsy method to remove the bearing. I would use the normal method to remove the bearing and seal then clean up the seal housing with a scraper. As the small crack exits to a hole its best left alone in my opinion.

yes I agree with Robert on this there sould be no holes in this area the metherd to get the drive side bearing out is by putting the case half in the oven to max temperture for 30 mins , and have some engineers leather goves to hand has the case will be hot , just tap the case with a peace of wood and the bearing will drop out, have the case crack tested and welded by the good engineering people , yours anna j

Anna, Robert - Many thanks for the comments.

The bearing housing did not drop out as usual when hot so the two grubs screws were removed and the bearing pushed out via the holes - maybe some distortion in the casting from all the previous abuse.

The crack I was worried about was not one of those on the outside eminating from the seal retaining effort, but from the the large one on the inside (just below added grubscrew at 12 o'clock in pic. below) which is in line with the thin section of the seal retainer which is not flat.

Sohas anyone had this kind of damage repaired before and can recommend someone to repair this casting? (I am locatedN. Lincs/E. Yorks)

Using as is worries me from retaining and maintaining the oilseal, oil-leaks and further damage from the crack increasing.

This bike has nothing missing from original, so I am very keen on retaining the original crankcases whick are otherwise in great condition.

Attachments 2015_02_23-drive-case-inner-jpg

Previously andrew_heaton wrote:

Anna, Robert - Many thanks for the comments.

The bearing housing did not drop out as usual when hot so the two grubs screws were removed and the bearing pushed out via the holes - maybe some distortion in the casting from all the previous abuse.

The crack I was worried about was not one of those on the outside eminating from the seal retaining effort, but from the the large one on the inside (just below added grubscrew at 12 o'clock in pic. below) which is in line with the thin section of the seal retainer which is not flat.

Sohas anyone had this kind of damage repaired before and can recommend someone to repair this casting? (I am locatedN. Lincs/E. Yorks)

Using as is worries me from retaining and maintaining the oilseal, oil-leaks and further damage from the crack increasing.

This bike has nothing missing from original, so I am very keen on retaining the original crankcases whick are otherwise in great condition.

Hello well I started the East Yorkshire Branch , And as I am a Marine engineer with 40 years experance under my belt, you can bring the cases to me I will sort them out for you, I have all the welding equipment and vapor balasting and shotblasting equipment too and a Lathe and spraying Equipment , Norton work shop tools and pullers , my phone number for any member to ring me is 01430 430831 howden east yorkshire norton engineering, , Please note I am not a Business , but a volunteer

too members . yours Anna J

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans