Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1954 Dominator 88 De Luxe transfers

Forums

could someone please tell me if the oil tank had a recommended oil level or maximum oil level transfer ,if it had one?did the back mudguard have a 88 500 or did they have one with a de-lux on it? and the tank is not good enough to chrome so will be painted silver so probably black norton transfers on the sides any idea of the size please, thanks in antcipation Arthur.

Previously arthur_fish wrote:

could someone please tell me if the oil tank had a recommended oil level or maximum oil level transfer ,if it had one?did the back mudguard have a 88 500 or did they have one with a de-lux on it? and the tank is not good enough to chrome so will be painted silver so probably black norton transfers on the sides any idea of the size please, thanks in antcipation Arthur.

Hi Athur,

I have a '54 Dominator, and owned a '53 in my youth. The oil tank should have a "Minimum oil level transfer (but I have never seen exactly what height it should be!). In 1954, there was no model "99", the rear mudgard had a gold Norton transfer. If you are not going to have the fuel tank re-chromed, you could probably use the gold transfers as used on Commandos. Restoring to original spec would cost a small fortune, it would then be worth in excess of £5,000, but you would probably be afraid to use it!. Well maintained, it's a cracking bike. Best of luck, John.

I bought Norton tank transfers from Classic Transfers. Couldn't believe how many times Norton slightly changed the script. Worth looking at their site for the correct one. Each has its own individual character so you might as well get it exactly right. George Cohen's site has advice on painting rather than chroming tanks.

reviously David Cooper wrote:

I bought Norton tank transfers from Classic Transfers. Couldn't believe how many times Norton slightly changed the script. Worth looking at their site for the correct one. Each has its own individual character so you might as well get it exactly right. George Cohen's site has advice on painting rather than chroming tanks.

thanks for the replies and help, i was going to order the oil tank level one from the clubshop and realised there were two types so thought i should check, i did have a good look at the1953bike at the stafford show on the norton stand but did not get down to this type of detail, cracking bike. i will live with the tank paintedas i will use the bike, it will not be exactly right. The darn handle bar fittings are so hard to findand i have adapted some others soi can get on with the the bike.l hope to see what the chrome and shape of the indiantanks are like at a later date, definatly not brave enough to order one unseen/ customs charges/fit etc..perhaps one of the bigger dealers will have one on display at stanford hall?.thanks again for replies and help.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans